The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

great that the flood gates opened up but did they not look still disorganized in their own end?

did they not just finally run into a goalie who was average of worse?

I do not know if they corrected some habits or just finally got the bounces against a junk team...

the pk still sucks, real bad.

You're not wrong.

It was a sloppy game, but it was nice to not get "goalie'd" for once.

Powerplay had more of a shooter mentality and moved around a bit so that's a nice building block.

If this game helps build some much needed confidence for the big guns, take it and run.

12 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Fans are not as informed as they think they are. A lot of fans think that net front presence is just standing in front of the net. The problem is that only a small portion of NHL players know how to angle themselves to put a shade on the goalie who is moving around trying to see beyond the screen. At the same time, the net front player is fighting off the opposition D who is pushing him around physically while still trying to tip the incoming puck or track the rebound for a tap in. The Canucks forwards group in general is not great at this. At the time, the coaching staff wanted to retain Chiasson's skillset not because he is so great but because other Canucks players are not great in front of the net. To put it another way, Travis Green watched the Canucks players for years. He saw something in Chiasson that other Canucks players cannot replicate consistently. 

Gadjovich does not PP nor PK. He is too slow to make his physical presence felt. They don't really need a fighter warming the bench. They liked Gadjovich and do think he may progress in time, but the waiver requirement stands. 

Great, thank you

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still see Miller as the guy who's either moved out or as the guys who walks as UFA. He's the oldest "core" piece and he's one of our most tradeable assets. I'm not convinced he'll produce into his 30's and this next deal will likely be his last opportunity to earn big.

I def see Miller as bring used to upgrade our D, whether that's a direct trade or his being moved for assets to shop with. D and our bottom six is our weakness for sure.

Between the two I keep Horvat every time. Boeser's gonna be re-upped soon, and Pettersson will need a new deal sooner than later. I don't see a world where we can pay Miller, Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser what they're worth, particularly given that they'll all want raises.

Realistically most teams don't have six legit top six guys though, we're pretty spoiled this season. 

Miller, Garland, Hoglander (points aren't there yet, but he produces so many chances, it'll come), Boeser, Horvat, Pettersson. Hell, even Pearson is a top 6-9 tweener. Podz will keep getting better.

Something was always going to have to give as deals expire and guys want raises and term.

Agree with what you said. However, Miller is actually more vital to the Canucks roster than Boeser. Miller is more experienced, faster skater than Boeser, great wrist shot and decent slap shot, can play centre, PP and PK, leads the rush, plays physical along the boards, a goal scorer that also makes plays. 

This is the problem facing the team this summer. Boeser is younger but a bit injury prone and less versatile. Boeser is sort like Tarasenko. I think Travis Green cannot live without Miller. 

Edited by Maddogy

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I couldn't see anyone taking Myers. He hasn't been bad this year, and I would argue he was our best D last year, but that's still a lot of cap for what he brings. I'm just not sure what other choices we have right now. We don't have very many blue chip trade assets to fix our holes.

Myers also likely requires additional assets to get what we want in a trade, Miller wouldn't require that. 

Myers has looked better this season, but at his age and cap hit I don't really see him as a piece we trade to upgrade our D. 

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

TG can leave the the team if he puts Chiasson in over Bailey and Chiasson gets gifted PP1 time again. 

It'll show how desperate he is to make the Chiasson experiment work. 

This tells me Chiasson was 100% his call and he put his neck on the line when he chose him over our own prospects. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Fans are not as informed as they think they are. A lot of fans think that net front presence is just standing in front of the net. The problem is that only a small portion of NHL players know how to angle themselves to put a shade on the goalie who is moving around trying to see beyond the screen. At the same time, the net front player is fighting off the opposition D who is pushing him around physically while still trying to tip the incoming puck or track the rebound for a tap in. The Canucks forwards group in general is not great at this. At the time, the coaching staff wanted to retain Chiasson's skillset not because he is so great but because other Canucks players are not great in front of the net. To put it another way, Travis Green watched the Canucks players for years. He saw something in Chiasson that other Canucks players cannot replicate consistently. 

Gadjovich does not PP nor PK. He is too slow to make his physical presence felt. They don't really need a fighter warming the bench. They liked Gadjovich and do think he may progress in time, but the waiver requirement stands. 

Your supposed to start

"Once upon a time..." 

3 hours ago, combover said:

Start of a winning streak. 

Demko is the teams MVP/saviour

hope he can keep it going.

Two "Save of the Year" candidates within the span of three games. You can probably count how many times that has happened on one hand.....

Watching that replay of Podz goal. 

He had the speed AND the intuition to shadow Garland as he broke in on the left. Podz actually prepared for the pass, got up to speed and glided into position. It was a perfect feed and a laser shot. Excellent form, he has a great skill set he brought with him. 

A natural talent well deserving of 14 minutes every night. Chiasson would have still been at the blue line watching Garland. Podz has way better speed for 5 on 5, and a harder shot. 

• Cheers 4

30 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Agree with what you said. However, Miller is actually more vital to the Canucks roster than Boeser. Miller is more experienced, faster skater than Boeser, great wrist shot and decent slap shot, can play centre, PP and PK, leads the rush, plays physical along the boards, a goal scorer that also makes plays. 

This is the problem facing the team this summer. Boeser is younger but a bit injury prone and less versatile. Boeser is sort like Tarasenko. I think Travis Green cannot live without Miller. 

I get what you're saying, but I'm not convinced. While last season was a disaster Brock's game was better than ever, he's really rounded his game out. He may not be able to PK or take faceoffs, but I'd still keep him over Miller. Miller will be 29 in March, Boeser will be 25 in February. If we want to keep our window open I know who I'd keep. Miller may have a higher offensive ceiling, but he's also more likely to begin declining sooner than later. 45-55 points on average per season with the potential to be more dangerous, I'd take that in Boeser. 

I don't think Green will be around long enough for it to matter, winning yesterday has people more optimistic than they were, but it's a long season and one game doesn't erase the inconsistencies we've seen. Miller's our best trade chip, and one that probably doesn't require extra assets to trade out. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

Watching that replay of Podz goal. 

He had the speed AND the intuition to shadow Garland as he broke in on the left. Podz actually prepared for the pass, got up to speed and glided into position. It was a perfect feed and a laser shot. Excellent form, he has a great skill set he brought with him. 

A natural talent well deserving of 14 minutes every night. Chiasson would have still been at the blue line watching Garland. Podz has way better speed for 5 on 5, and a harder shot. 

Comparing Podz to Chiasson is like apples and oranges though. 

Podz will only get more ice time and responsibilities as he keeps showing well. 

My only fear now is that Chiasson will be in over Bailey as it seems Lammikko and Dowling are locks on 4th and Green needs the Chiasson experiment to work. 

• RoughGame 1