The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 11, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

I would be curious, after 15 games, how many people were excited to watch Canuck games at the start of the year until now. 

Eg. I was very excited at the start of the year to watch games in their entirety but now I record them, skip to when the other team scores first and then skip to see if we tie it late in the third. Otherwise, it's a bust.

Im in this same boat. I cant go through last year again.  

Canucks are definitely at a crossroads if they want to try and save this season. 

Im going back and forth on how to move forward 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Gear has done a great job recently.  Our cap structure looks fairly tidy with some guys looking like absolute steals.  I never really worry when we re-sign guys.  It’s generally been fair.

Re-signing RFA players and fringe NHL depth guys is way different than the territory we will be entering now though. Key RFA and UFA players will need re-signing. Do we really think they are going to be lining up to give discounts for a team too cheap to fire a gm and coach who are this bad? EP and Hughes certainly didn’t take big discounts. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

Imagine adding Garland and OEL to your team and you're worse off than previously. 

This team sucks. Green has to go even if he doesn't deserve it. All coaches know the second they get the job, they're time is ticking away.

I thought the same thing. I feel bad for them lol.

Schenn too haha 

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto but some will still insist that it is JB, that has to go first.

Letting go GMJB is a mistake, imo.   First, hire his choice of replacement head coach and get them to a strong record and miss the playoffs, Benning should keep his job.  I feel that a change of system on playing style is needed to see if it get better with new coach.  If they play better with new system, the roster decisions is not in question, imho.   

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Letting go GMJB is a mistake, imo.   First, hire his choice of replacement head coach and get them to a strong record and miss the playoffs, Benning should keep his job.  I feel that a change of system on playing style is needed to see if it get better with new coach.  If they play better with new system, the roster decisions is not in question, imho.   

Very few GM’s with this consistent level of failure last as long as Benning has. Even fewer get 3 different head coach hires to save themselves. 

Shaw as interim head coach, Rutherford as PoHO and interim GM. Comprehensive search for both a GM and a coach.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Ditto.

Imo, JB will finish his contract and the decisions he makes moving forward will determine, if it is an extension or termination. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Miller Bo EP and Boes have all had enough of Green

The way they played, any coach would have had enough and benched them.

Players not executing 

Coach loosing the team

GM gambled huge with off season moves

Overall other teams have improved and developed players

Fans have had enough

Comparatively our players struggle to play competitive 

It's never EVER one thing or person, it's a combination of all the parts

And with the parts all together our team is

BROKEN

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Very few GM’s with this consistent level of failure last as long as Benning has. Even fewer get 3 different head coach hiring to save themselves. 

Look, acquiring OEL, Garland got them to play better early but losing at homestand is what made this discussion going.  Benning did everything he could to give Green some tool to work with  and he failed in that area.   It is not a GM issues, it's mainly coaching issue we see right now.

1 minute ago, Ajax- said:

The way they played, any coach would have had enough and benched them.

Players not executing 

Coach loosing the team

GM gambled huge with off season moves

Overall other teams have improved and developed players

Fans have had enough

Comparatively our players struggle to play competitive 

It's never EVER one thing or person, it's a combination of all the parts

And with the parts all together our team is

BROKEN

Bench all 4?

Ok I'd like to see that. 

From Oct 31, after the Oiler game:

"

9 games in

3 wins 5 losses 1 loser point.

2 wins in 'normal' 5 on 5 play time; 1 against Kraken, 1 against Blackhawks.

Not good enough.

Something is wrong, and the team/management do not have much time to figure it out

more than a tenth of the year gone, and the schedule is starting to load up with truly good teams.

Rangers                                3-2 Canucks in ot

Predators                              3-2 Preds

Stars                                     6-3 Canucks

Ducks                                    3-2 Ducks in ot

Avalanche                             7-1 Aves                 

Knights

Should win ducks?

But then they face

Ducks

Avalanche

Jets

Blackhawks

Penguins

3 wins(expected) 2 against Ducks, 1 against Blackhawks, out of next  11 games?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 wins--- 3 in regulation time with 1 in Ot and 1 in shoot out

7 losses

1 loss in Ot

1 loss in Shoot out

3 regulation wins in 14 games.

Sadly, this is not just a coaching problem.

• Like 2

Just now, coolboarder said:

Look, acquiring OEL, Garland got them to play better early but losing at homestand is what made this discussion going.  Benning did everything he could to give Green some tool to work with  and he failed in that area.   It is not a GM issues, it's mainly coaching issue we see right now.

It’s a GM issue for re-signing the coach. And for building a roster that would get roughed up by a junior B team. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

So Benning gets to hire a third head coach after hiring two who totally didn’t work out? After 7 years? Sorry, to me that makes no sense 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm not fully convinced its all systems and coaching at fault to date this year. Our Camp was a joke in how it was run, trying to fill out our bottom 6 rather than getting our top lines gelling. The line blender effect and the loss of our developed prospects for newly traded sub par players wears thin on me but players have to take a huge onus on this mess of a year also . Petey has been a no show, (to date) miller overstates his own importance to the team while coughing up the puck on blind passes to no one, crap passing in general and the most stationary guy on the PP ever.. Brock is having a " Meh"  year also. Our Pk doesn't pressure enough giving opposition far to much time to set up and no one clears guys from the front of the net. Demko i guess will have to step up and take care of that himself.(truley the only bright star to date).MY biggest concern (and the reason i think we loose so many 1 goal games) is why do we never have a net front presence. Screen the freaking keeper. If i see Myers waste another shot on net from the blueline with no one in front ill go insane. There is no sense to it, those shots  without a screen are wasted attempts and a cause for turnovers and loss of puck possession more times than not. So in my mind its not all coaches and management its a perfect storm of both players and management.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Re-signing RFA players and fringe NHL depth guys is way different than the territory we will be entering now though. Key RFA and UFA players will need re-signing. Do we really think they are going to be lining up to give discounts for a team too cheap to fire a gm and coach who are this bad? EP and Hughes certainly didn’t take big discounts. 

I think Hughes and Garland contracts are discounts for sure.  I’d say those two have been our two best players not named Demko (another nice contract) this season. 

Petey has been weird - I agree no real discount there especially with how dismal he has been.  I just don’t put Gear in the basket where I think we need change.  

• Vintage 1