The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading this core before a new coach has an opportunity to work with them would be a mistake

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Its possible, but you can also evaluate how the players are performing in a dispassionate way.  

Jannik Hansen had some harsh words about the players today.  He knows exactly whats going on, as do the Sedins.  

With the Sedins especially Im confident they will break down the team’s problems.  If its a coaching issue, they’ll definitely bring it up. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

All those jumping on Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, etc. should hold their horses.

These guys have only had the opportunity to work with one coach.

They all arrived on the team after being under a different coaching environment and at that point showed huge enthusiasm and set the league on fire... and only when Green put the dead harness of his system on them did they start to go downhill.

As others have said before, 'If one player is in a slump, its on him.  If the team is in a slump its on the coach.'

Green has failed to get the best out of these players... its time to let someone else have a chance to turn the team around.

Lets remember the example of Edmonton and what getting Tippet and a new GM in place has done.

They are still the same basic offensive core as when they were the laughing stock of the league.

A few pieces on defense and a new coach has made a huge difference.

Same can be said of the Lames with Sutter.

Thank you, been saying this for a while. Would make no sense to trade the core players. 

People complain about how we haven't been good for 8 years but do they know what would happen if we traded our best players? 

We have an unprecedented amount of young talent it's taken years to accumulate, giving up on these players right now would be outrageous. 

Definitely need to try them with new coach before anything. 

• Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Haha I'm listening to it right now as I read this. 

He had an interview on sportsnet 650. 

Wasn't super harsh, he actually agrees with op that the Canucks have the skill and players to be a playoff team. But he also said it's up to the players to get up for each game, and if you need a coach to get you ready for a game you don't belong in the NHL. Said he never once relied on a coach to get up for a game and start strong. 

While I agree with what Jannik's saying, he has been part of some teams that had some bad games himself too during his career.

• Wat 2

If Jim doesn't move quickly on this his butt will be the next logical move. Travis/new coach is his last get out of jail card left.
He's changed over almost the whole roster, he's traded his 1st round draft picks & all his high ranking draft picks are here. 
This team should be trending upwards & knocking on a playoff spot with a lot of promise. Not hovering around the bottom of the league in all sorts of categories.

Green needed to turn this season around on the home stand which he couldn't. Then we give him this road trip when he says we're close & they come out playing like that??? 

I'm sorry but I just don't see any signs of turning this around & no team identity except that we don't play hard enough which is right out of the coach's mouth himself after 70% of our games.

Green, King & Bumgartner are NOT leading us to a playoff spot never mind a CUP...

Let's face it Jim is gone if we don't make the Playoffs this year. What other moves does Jim have left before there both gone.

• Cheers 3

I think we're stuck with Trav for a little while yet.  They just re-signed him to a contract and Benning really seems to believe in him - and the owners really seem to believe in Benning's vision.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see Benning make another trade. I just hope he doesn't get desperate enough that he trades the 2022 1st. 

They might sacrifice Baumgartner to turn down the heat.

• RoughGame 2

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

These guys have only had the opportunity to work with one coach.

They all arrived on the team after being under a different coaching environment and at that point showed huge enthusiasm and set the league on fire... and only when Green put the dead harness of his system on them did they start to go downhill.

So let me get this straight. They have only had one coach (although technically Bo had 2, but let's go with your narrative). They started to go downhill with that coach. But during the same time that they're going downhill, they also put up great numbers with that same coach - including winning the Calder, getting into All-Star games, etc.??? Just a disclaimer, I think we need a better coach for the team.

• Cheers 1

I have to say that I've jumped on the players but I do agree with you that we shouldn't touch anything until we perhaps see a change in coach.  I've liked Green during most of his tenure and think he's a good coach, but it might be time for a new voice and a better work ethic.  

I'm in the "let's wait and see camp" for now though. 

1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

Haha I'm listening to it right now as I read this. 

He had an interview on sportsnet 650. 

Wasn't super harsh, he actually agrees with op that the Canucks have the skill and players to be a playoff team. But he also said it's up to the players to get up for each game, and if you need a coach to get you ready for a game you don't belong in the NHL. Said he never once relied on a coach to get up for a game and start strong. 

Honey Badger putting it right where it belongs, on the players.  Putrid effort last game all around (Demko excepted).  Petey looks like he’s counting his $21 mill and worrying more about the next cool hat he’ll be wearing to the rink.

My thing with replacing coaches and this forum is that we've been through this before - recently with AV to Torts to WD to TG - so we should know by now that there's no magic coaching pill to save the day.

I'm not opposed to a coaching change at all but - based on where we've been - we need to be mindful that ... Torts wasn't a savior from AV ... neither was WD from Torts ... many on this board wanted TG and thought he was the man over WD ... 

We've been through this. At some point, our players need to step up and justify their talent and money. Right now I believe the players need to figure this out rather than leaning on a pattern of blaming the coach, which we've already done to poor results. 

Ffs ... Torts went on to win a Jack Adams after what everyone believed was a disaster here in Vancouver. WD and AV were hired again after their time here. 

I'm with Honey Badger... the players need to figure this out. They know and we know they're better than this.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

In other news... how's Ovechkin 36 years old and still scoring more goals than Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes combined? 

Because they've struggled offensively while Ovi's the fourth greatest goal scorer of all time as of tonight 

Not your typical future hall of famer by any stretch