The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

Nhic first intermission Ron the dumb dumb says “ bieska the job is yours” “ I’m telling you “

then silence then 

Ron “ sorry jim Benning sorry Kevin “ 

total wth.  he was a joking, obviously but with how shyte is here that’s what an idiot he is. 

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting.

Not just because he is now, I guess, available. But he is the only one I immediately feel could be a good fit here as GM and that would be the logical way to go about this.
Start with the GM and let him find a caoch that fits. It would be my preference even if it was someone else than Mellanby. 

Changing the coach now and the GM at the end of the year would be a strange move any way you look at it. 

Remove Jim Benning and Travis Green, and include Nolan Baumgartner - now. Promote Shaw as interim coach. 
(I actually don’t have that much hate or anger towards either Jim or Travis, the just won’t get the job done well enough.)

This gives enough time for Mellanby to evaluate things and give the team another go with Shaw. They can and look at who can find their game and see if someone still slumping. Then they can make more of a proper and informed decision at the trade deadline and maximize the return. None of our players’ value will drop between now and TDL so we are in no hurry to move any of them at this time. We have a pretty decent team but with no direction, and that will change with the right guidance.

If anyone is wondering who the next wave of coaches and GMs might be in the NHL, this article is from May 2021. It gives a fairly thorough listing of potential replacements for, you know, guys who might be fired soon. It's a good read.

The Top Rising Candidates for NHL coach, GM roles

ESPN polled 22 people in and around the NHL -- agents, front-office executives, league officials -- and asked these very questions: Who is next up? Who is an up-and-comer? And who would you like to see considered for these roles? Here are the results.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31421880/the-top-rising-candidates-nhl-coach-gm-jobs#gmwave

Edited by Curmudgeon

You guys just need a bit of patience. Just think what this team could be in 5-7 years. Pettersson played with men, guys. Horvat is definitely future captain material and is built to play in high tempo high expectation scenarios and leads the play. Boeser will be the next Stamkos! All led by the best rookie behind the bench, Green!  Look out NHL, this team will be dominant sooner than you think! 

4 minutes ago, V12 said:

You guys just need a bit of patience. Just think what this team could be in 5-7 years. Pettersson played with men, guys. Horvat is definitely future captain material and is built to play in high tempo high expectation scenarios and leads the play. Boeser will be the next Stamkos! All led by the best rookie behind the bench, Green!  Look out NHL, this team will be dominant sooner than you think! 

"Suck it haters!!!111"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, combover said:

6A866DB6-74AF-40F8-B3C8-4584410C6F99.jpeg.c3a4832df80c66131750e32ecbfd4729.jpeg87A5AD9B-E2B2-4719-8963-90E2EADFAF26.jpeg.54a9a3cd8370aa29ef1f2b3a99adb626.jpeg

huh. Total understandable why he’s still employed 

after all we’re now only two years away from being mediocre. 

Excuse you.

This man filled our age gap between 2014 and 2016. We owe him a lot.

Admirable job, should retire his number.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My thoughts:

Promote Ryan Johnson to GM or at the very least, AGM and hire Chris MacFarland as GM/VPHO
Hire Gallant or Boudreau or promote Shaw to Interim in the meantime while they find a HC
FIND A POHO, the market is pretty thin so who knows.

Johnson would be the most cost effective solution and he actively takes care of the players under his wing. I see him on the ice with skates more than I do Benning.

Marc Bergevin was always a good and patient GM, getting good value in trades. For some reason that all flew out the window whenever his team showed signs of success.

2016-2017 season, the Habs finished 1st in the East. Has his most brutal off-season right after.
2021 playoffs. Habs go to the finals. Loses 2 of his top 3 centres in the off-season

1 hour ago, V12 said:

Bit patient? its been 8 years oh ok  why not another 5-7 years yah right. True the core has potential but not under the the dumb and dumbers

40 minutes ago, warrchief said:

My thoughts:

Promote Ryan Johnson to GM or at the very least, AGM and hire Chris MacFarland as GM/VPHO
Hire Gallant or Boudreau or promote Shaw to Interim in the meantime while they find a HC
FIND A POHO, the market is pretty thin so who knows.

Johnson would be the most cost effective solution and he actively takes care of the players under his wing. I see him on the ice with skates more than I do Benning.

We need someone from the outside not within again like Green. Some fresh perspective. Look at how even the ahl team is doing loss after loss. The coaching and makeup of the roster under Green and Benning aint getting us anywhere.

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

We need someone from the outside not within again like Green. Some fresh perspective. Look at how even the ahl team is doing loss after loss. The coaching and makeup of the roster under Green and Benning aint getting us anywhere.

I am just giving an alternative, I think Frankie will tell the new GM, Ryan or Benning to keep Shaw on the payroll because it saves money.

Let's give Benning a chance.

Granted, his first nine year plan doesn't seem to be working out all that well.  But how many of us succeed the first time we try something?

Let's see how his second nine year plan does.  And if that doesn't pan out then, by golly, he'd better produce in his third nine year plan or there's going to be trouble!

1 hour ago, PositionOfPower said:

You don't want to hire someone from outside as a temporary measure while you look for a permanent replacement.  We need to promote from within to prevent Green, Baumer, and King from causing further permanent damage to the franchise with their gross incompetence.