The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The "official stance" was it was amicable and he decided he wanted to spend more time with his family.   That's it.   The only media stuff relating to it.   And they didn't want to or make any comments about it.    The media sure did though, as did a lot of CDCers and home grown bloggers.    Who the heck knows maybe that's at it really was.   But i for one, was glad he was no longer using his great name, to be a deflector shield.   A ton of fans were pissed we didn't get another shot at the cup.    Wonder how many of those were onboard with the Sedins getting about deal back then, and now are crying foul because we should have rebuilt instead!?!! A lot. Like most.   That was the ideal time to pull the plug.   Didn't happen did it?   And why would fans want that two years after going to the final and back to back pres trophies?

Edit:  Just to be honest i was one of those fans that thought we still had a chance...i was wrong. 

I was calling for a rebuild in the summer of 2012. The org was pretty much empty of talent other than what was being iced on the Canucks. It was the time to move vets out to restock. As close as the team came in '11 I thought they had to have a better physical game. Anyway, water under the bridge. Did Linden come for the Twin's night? Can't remember him being interviewed since he left?

The Aqualini's are real estate developers. The vocation is kinda ideal for Canuck ownership. Long term investment, lots of development costs (known and unknown) and a lot of leverage. Public is always pissed off with new developments so the Canuck fanbase is nothing new. They might misread a person's judgement or character but ultimately the numbers don't lie. I suspect JB and Travis's contract extensions were only 2 years for a reason. It also suggests to me that JB and Green were very confident of their season going in.   

Canucks seem to be playing hockey with how the world is going a nightmare. Petey is the most confusing puzzle right now, and I do not agree the league has figured him out. Petey is overthinking the game right now.

The PK last night shows that if you break your stick get off the ice or go to the bench for a new stick. I agree with the poster that suggested a stronger stick just for the PK. 

Here is my suggestion for Petey for the off season training , go train with Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson.

Have him train like he going to enter a strongman competition. Eat and train to be a strong 200 pounder. Toward the beginning of the season they can condition him with boxing drills and light sparing mixed with longer timed strongman drills. Try to come into the season a leaner and super strong 185-195 pounds. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Eichel and Heiskanen were for sure ahead of him - Eichel finished 2nd to McDavid.  Pettersson went after Heiskanen and couldn't beat him.  I think Barzal was also ahead.

The fact he was picked for that event was a bit of a shocker to me.   And he for sure didn't disappoint.   

Edit:  Not that speed ever really was a big thing for me.   McJesus hasn't beat Gartner's time yet, because of how they do the circuit.   Allow for way less of a circle then they used too.  And as we saw ... women's hockey is just as fast.   So was Raymond.   Hagelin is considered a top 10 all-time speedster.   AR might have been our fastest overall skater last year on our team.   This "need for speed" obsession has gone way too far.   Can't wait for it to go back to not just skating skating skating.   Ridiculous. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

So the conclusions that I personally came to was that,

1) We are pretty decent 5 on 5 provided that we come up with a new system that allows for a more aggressive breakout in terms of passing to players that are aggressively moving forward while receiving those tape to tape passes.

2) In theory, special teams should be a fixable problem with good coaching yet this hasn’t happened.

3) If there is passive aggressiveness amongst the players, it’s likely towards coaching as opposed to management since management did everything in their power to ice a playoff worthy line-up this season.

All excellent points. I would add a 4) Good teams enter the offensive zone with possession of the puck and set up from there. Vancouver's system default is dump the puck deep and chase it. Many more times than not, this simply turns the puck over and it goes the other way. That is definitely a coaching issue.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

OEL has 3 points this season, tied with Chiasson and Tucky Poo (after Tuck's 2 point outburst last night)

Garland just bumped a 10 game goal slump

are these guys really bright spots

or 

just bright by comparison to the darkness that Jim has created

No one is really excelling in terms of point totals, but if you look at who has been trying to play like a paid professional, Garland and OEL are both recognized by majority of fans for their continued efforts

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Eichel and Heiskanen were for sure ahead of him - Eichel finished 2nd to McDavid.  Pettersson went after Heiskanen and couldn't beat him.  I think Barzal was also ahead.

Barzal beat McDavid.

Nevertheless, the fact that Petey was in that group shows that his speed is top-shelf.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

If that's the case, then obviously, that's on him. We'll see how it all plays out.

What do you mean "if"? He looks the same out there as he did in Oct 2018.. when his lack of strength could be excused as he was only 20... it's been THREE YEARS since then..

24 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Perhaps an offseason of barely training? Guy has literally declared himself as a superstar (via the $7.35m bridge deal he negotiated), but is still a weak 170lb twig out there... and he's 23 now FFS

Perhaps he took something that is causing it ?

Anyways, he looks unsettled and confused on the ice.

4 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Barzal beat McDavid.

Nevertheless, the fact that Petey was in that group shows that his speed is top-shelf.

No freaking doubt.   Robataille and Brett Hull weren't that fast.   Look where they are in the all-time standings.   Wayne Gretzky?  Enough said. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps he took something that is causing it ?

Anyways, he looks unsettled and confused on the ice.

Maybe all it is ... is the pressure to earn his deal.   Wouldn't be the first guy to go through this.   And won't be the last.   Just be glad he's not OTT Bobby Ryan forever contract at that price - we'll really it would be like 9 in today's money for another 7 years .... ouch!   Personally don't think second deals should be longer then 3 years anyways.   Zero freaking carrot. 

Edited by IBatch

44 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Wasn't Dickenson primarily used as a winger in Dallas? I would say that's on Benning in that case, if he was expecting Jason to be a 3C. Something about putting a square peg in a round hole.

I think he was mostly used as a 4C in Dallas. He was on their top pk unit along with Blake Comeau. I was kinda hoping we'd claim Blake Comeau when he was put on waivers just to try reuniting them. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No freaking doubt.   Robataille and Brett Hull weren't that fast.   Look where they are in the all-time standings.   Wayne Gretzky?  Enough said. 

Who cares how fast Pettersson is when he can't stay on his feet. He is so easy to knock off the puck. I've never seen a bonafide NHL player fall as many times as he does in one game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Maybe all it is ... is the pressure to earn his deal.   Wouldn't be the first guy to go through this.   And won't be the last.   Just be glad he's not OTT Bobby Ryan forever contract at that price - we'll really it would be like 9 in today's money for another 7 years .... ouch!   Personally don't think second deals should be longer then 3 years anyways.   Zero freaking carrot. 

Yeah, lots of examples of players coasting once the deal gets signed and will have an uptick closer to the end of the deal.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 250Integra said:

Who cares how fast Pettersson is when he can't stay on his feet. He is so easy to knock off the puck. I've never seen a bonafide NHL player fall as many times as he does in one game.

Now that is something i absolutely agree with.   The only guy that falls down as much was named Hartnell.   And that guy was a freaking pinball machine as in he'd hit anything that moved ..."Hartnell Down" became a thing in PHI.   Maybe we should start "Alien or EP down" too... as in count how many times he falls down in a game   ... i brought this up his rookie season.   Kid should 100% be in the gym 4-5 times a week. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Same on ice product, that is still suffering from the same issues. 

Anyways, the only move they have (right now) is to make a desperate trade, to buy themeselves time to make a leadership decision till later in the season or after.   Hope, JB has more sense, to not trade the teams 1st for the next few years; and if he does, I won't be surprised cause that is the only moves they know how to make - roster tweaking.  Outside of Bo with Pearson, there is no real chemistry among the lines and even the Lotto Line seems to had forgotten to play together.

Super complicated from the outside looking in.

Players are saying all the right thing. Even Millsy sounded like a team-first guy in an interview earlier this week. He's our best player of late IMO but you can tell he's fed up. 

Huggy and Petey probably practice/play/meet then get the hell out of there. i really question the bond and glue elements on the team. Not too seem nostalgic or date myself too badly but those late 2000s and 2010-11 ish teams were an attitude machine and were hated league wide because of it. Everyone had everyones back and the room was overflowing with numerous levels of leadership and strong personalities. They even handled team drama amongst themselves like total pros. The game has changed so much with the youth movement now representing both core and future (in some cases anyhow). These stars aren't real "men" yet. Quiet, timid, restrained... shy even.

Its daunting for sure.

Can Bo lead? Not great at dragging the team into a fight.

Other than Pearson, no winners on this team at the pro level, not even in the minors.

I feel that players like Dickinson, OEL, Garland etc. don't know what to make of things and the team is scattered.

So many issues and questions. 

Other than a massive shake up (which, I believe would involve some investigating then pull the trigger and move out any negative or ill fitting elements) the quickest way to a fresh reset is to change the coaching staff and I feel management at the same time.

Fresh perspective. Unfortunately it will probably have to wait till next season.... again.

Thanks for listening. What is the rental fee on your therapy couch BTW?

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

Looking at how Aho and Svechnikov have developed into superstars in Carolina sure makes me second guess petey's drive to get better year after year. Aho is not much heavier than Petey and does not get man handled shift after shift. I was giving Petey 10 games to get back into rookie/sophmore season form. He has regressed severely since game 2 in Philly. Highest paid players are difference makers. And right now Petey is far from it.

• Vintage 2