The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where is Peng Shuai?

Kurgom

4 hours ago, Kurgom said:

Well, I think we all know she's being tortured, threatened, and worse in the hands of her government. 

We have Chinese Canadian athletes in the Olympics, Canada should boycott to protect them and let the CCP know their storied history of dissappearing people isn't something the world will accept. It's not okay to "re-educate" men and women through rape, torture and threats to their family.

The CCP has said she'll make a public appearance "soon" while heavily censoring anything about tennis and her in China. I can only imagine what the brave lady is going through.

Source for your post?

EDIT: quick to jump to this conjecture. I'm no sympathizer to the CCP, it awful, the allegations. But TBH, I don't need to think of a prime-of-her-life tennis star locked in a room being tortured. The CCP are very secretive and are being cautious because of the olympics. If someone is guilty, light the fking olympic torch with them, but c'mon.

Edited by Western Red

14 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Source for your post?

EDIT: quick to jump to this conjecture. I'm no sympathizer to the CCP, it awful, the allegations. But TBH, I don't need to think of a prime-of-her-life tennis star locked in a room being tortured. The CCP are very secretive and are being cautious because of the olympics. If someone is guilty, light the fking olympic torch with them, but c'mon.

I don't know, when you look at how the party has treated people  who "disturb the peace" it's incredibly naive to think she's not under duress. Almost insulting to the people that the CCP kill and torture on a daily basis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

I don't know, when you look at how the party has treated people  who "disturb the peace" it's incredibly naive to think she's not under duress. Almost insulting to the people that the CCP kill and torture on a daily basis.

Ok I don't disagree.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I mean, Remembrance Day was only 9 days ago.... a lot of our grandparents felt that they had a pretty good reason to go overseas and get involved in "other country's affairs" and don't regret their decision. 

You are, at best, a CCP shill. Ironic given that China's investment in broadcasting its messages through CDN AM radiowaves is a pretty phenomenal example of how it gets itself involved in other countries' affairs. 

And 9 days ago some of those few remaining veterans weren’t allowed into the legion because they don’t have a QR code. I’m sure those particular ones feel appreciated. 
 I was just merely pointing out that under the extremely weak leadership of Canada in the last 15-20 years, we have no sway in global affairs. 

• Wat 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

of course, but some nut job with a "hypersonic" missile in Beijing might see it differently. I don't think its a big risk, but the mentality in that gov't is freaky.

I am sure there is a few shoot first nutjobs in most military organisations on this planet.

Part and parcel of the job description. 

On topic I really believe nations that have any sort of social conscience should boycott the upcoming Olympics that are going to be held in China.

What may have happened to Peng Shuai is @#$@$# up.

Any athlete that has compassion and empathy for their fellow human beings- the Uighurs- and their fellow athletes,Peng Shuai for example should refuse to attend on moral grounds.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

And 9 days ago some of those few remaining veterans weren’t allowed into the legion because they don’t have a QR code. I’m sure those particular ones feel appreciated. 
 I was just merely pointing out that under the extremely weak leadership of Canada in the last 15-20 years, we have no sway in global affairs. 

Of course when one has no argument one uses what’s called a deflection, in this case being a vaccine requirement which has zero to do with this thread on Chinese government sanctioned torture. I know some people just can’t stand lifting one finger or in this case a sleeve to help others, but keep those views to the COVID thread where they belong. Also I must say that the way you’re reacting makes it hard not to believe the other user accusing you of being a CCP shill at best.

It would also do some good to show humanity for those being tortured and killed, but I guess that also is too much to ask apparently given the 1st post made.

In response to the thread I struggle to come up with any solution that would immediately stop those being attacked. It feels helpless in this situation because China knows most of the world needs it more then the regime needs them. Peng Shuai is just the latest in centuries worth of victims. The only potential way China will change imo is if they’re completely ostracized on the world stage for issues related to national pride/international image. However a boycott of the Olympics would only succeed if the US supports it, just having Canada back out doesn’t move the needle much. I don’t know if they would follow our lead.

Sad ongoing situation that seems to never end as more names are added to the list of victims.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Chinese military is very disciplined and follows orders 100%, there is no choice really.

I still think that they would not use nuclear weapons first.

Even if they did, they know that Anglo Saxon coalition would mobilize rest of the world against them.

Chinese are smart, they look at things 100 years ahead, economy and technology is how they plan to “ conquer” the world.

who is that?

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I am sure there is a few shoot first nutjobs in most military organisations on this planet.

Part and parcel of the job description. 

On topic I really believe nations that have any sort of social conscience should boycott the upcoming Olympics that are going to be held in China.

What may have happened to Peng Shuai is @#$@$# up.

Any athlete that has compassion and empathy for their fellow human beings- the Uighurs- and their fellow athletes,Peng Shuai for example should refuse to attend on moral grounds.

yup, the world should not be giving any positive attention to that gov't.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

It seems that you have a really difficult time communicating what your opinion is, which must make your life quite difficult. 

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

She's also appeared in a video call with the IOC, and we're supposed to believe everything is fine despite her not being able to contact any of her fellow athletes abroad. Also she has completely retracted her statements that got her detained in the first place. 

Seems like they're in the "parade around a broken person to give legitimacy to the version of events we want to have this remembered as" part of this whole fiasco.

I fear she'll never leave china and fade away like many who have been "re-educated" before.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

She's also appeared in a video call with the IOC, and we're supposed to believe everything is fine despite her not being able to contact any of her fellow athletes abroad. Also she has completely retracted her statements that got her detained in the first place. 

Seems like they're in the "parade around a broken person to give legitimacy to the version of events we want to have this remembered as" part of this whole fiasco.

I fear she'll never leave china and fade away like many who have been "re-educated" before.

The IOC has a lot of money at stake for the China games to come off without a hitch.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Americans and Brits first and foremost, as well as Australians and Canadians.

$@#$ mate 

I am neither an Angle or a Saxon !

I am a Pict and I have the tatts to prove it. 

Proud of my adopted Scottish heritage. 

Don't lump me in with those uncivilized Sassenach's 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

$@#$ mate 

I am neither an Angle or a Saxon !

I am a Pict and I have the tatts to prove it. 

Proud of my adopted Scottish heritage. 

Don't lump me in with those uncivilized Sassenach's 

I always considered myself more of a Celt....it just sounds more badass....

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Kurgom said:

I have to agree. This reeks of propaganda.

It's just too convenient that she disappears, only to reappear as if all is well, just as international pressure ramps up.