The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyson Barrie talks about what makes the Oilers PP so good

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

PLAYER MOVEMENT, FAST PUCK MOVEMENT AND UNPREDICTABILITY...

Those were the characteristics he mentioned in the After Hours interview after the Hawks game... like a lot of others he says the Oilers' PP is the best he's every seen.

Everyone is moving, the positioning is not static, the passes are quick and players don't always shoot from the same spot.

All of these are exactly what seems to be missing in the Canucks' PP>  B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Those were the characteristics he mentioned in the After Hours interview after the Hawks game... like a lot of others he says the Oilers' PP is the best he's every seen.

Everyone is moving, the positioning is not static, the passes are quick and players don't always shoot from the same spot.

All of these are exactly what seems to be missing in the Canucks' PPB)

It doesn't just seems that way, Buzzsaw, it is!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

11 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Our own guys have even stated this...it's just a matter of doing it.  I mean, as an observer who admittedly knows little about the x's and o's of it all, I can see that.

If you stand still you offer the shorthanded opponents to more easily block passes, shots, etc.  As well, the goaltender is set in place.  You have to pull them out of position to clear up shooting lanes and get some net to shoot at.  We did this momentarily but it's got to be the norm.  The quick passes also have to be a bit less dangerous/no look and more focused.  I'm tired of seeing us give up the puck when we're on a PP, only to see a break out the other way. 

Just seems like a no brainer.  "Walk the line", etc.  Petey standing in one spot is not effective anymore.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Barrie is 100% correct.  That goal that Barrie scored on the PP last night was a direct result of all three.  I was fortunate enough to flipping channels last night and caught the Oilers PP goal.   

What makes Edmonton particularly scary right now is that McDavid draws penalties like nobody’s business.  He’s just so fast out there.  Oilers then get on the PP and dominate.   These guys have arguably the two best centers in the game right now (debatable because of MacKinnon) and their defense is a lot better this year as well.  Like their 2006 counterparts, these guys could make a cup run if they get a top goalie.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Our own guys have even stated this...it's just a matter of doing it.  I mean, as an observer who admittedly knows little about the x's and o's of it all, I can see that.

If you stand still you offer the shorthanded opponents to more easily block passes, shots, etc.  As well, the goaltender is set in place.  You have to pull them out of position to clear up shooting lanes and get some net to shoot at.  We did this momentarily but it's got to be the norm.  The quick passes also have to be a bit less dangerous/no look and more focused.  I'm tired of seeing us give up the puck when we're on a PP, only to see a break out the other way. 

Just seems like a no brainer.  "Walk the line", etc.  Petey standing in one spot is not effective anymore.  

I think a part of seems to be that we are too afraid to make a mistake out there.  On our PP, it seems like we often play to “not make a mistake” rather than “playing to harass the goalie.”

11 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Or maybe it’s because they have two of the best players in the world??

Nah, that couldn't be it. Every team should be able to emulate it with slick passing and moving their feet! 

McDavid being a cheat code doesn't mean anything. 

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Green likes to deploy the opposite, no moving, static, slow passes, similar players in same position every powerplay in every game and when shooting players like to show the opposition by holding their sticks up and taking 2 minutes to shoot the puck which is blocked since the opposition has setup and knows where the shot will come from a minute prior to that.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Barrie is 100% correct.  That goal that Barrie scored on the PP last night was a direct result of all three.  I was fortunate enough to flipping channels last night and caught the Oilers PP goal.   

What makes Edmonton particularly scary right now is that McDavid draws penalties like nobody’s business.  He’s just so fast out there.  Oilers then get on the PP and dominate.   These guys have arguably the two best centers in the game right now (debatable because of MacKinnon) and their defense is a lot better this year as well.  Like their 2006 counterparts, these guys could make a cup run if they get a top goalie.

I think if they add more depth to that D like get a reliable defensive d man similar to Tanev and add a good goalie they can make a big run for the cup. They added a lot last offseason with Derek Ryan, Zack Hyman, Warren Foegele, Ceci and Keith who has played great. That is 5 or 6 very dependable NHL players that solved their bottom 6 depth problem and made their D better. If they add a good defensive D that can log 20 to 25 minutes and a clutch goalie they can go very far. I also like Tippet more than Green when it comes to coaching. 

All those who suggest its only McDavid and Draisaitl and all you need to do is put these players on the ice are not paying attention.

In 2017/2018 this team had the worst PP average of any team in the league at 14.8%

That was the year McDavid got 108 pts... so it wasn't for him not being there.  Draisaitl got 70 pts.

So what changed to improve the percentage to the typical 28% we saw in the last few years?  (currently around 40% but probably won't stay there)  

The PP system.

Most of the Oiler PP goals are not scored on with McDavid on the rush, they are scored with the PP set up in the zone.

The Canucks have multiple excellent elements who are comparable to the Oilers PP elements.

Pettersson has as good a shot as Draisaitl.... unlike Draisaitl he doesn't get open looks for the one timer... when was the last time you saw Petey get a decent open look at goal with no screen in front of him???  Why is it that Draisaitl always seems to get open looks at the goal with the goaltender out of position?  Why is it the Oilers are able to make seam passes???

The reasons are many...

-  As I mentioned in my first post, the Oilers are in motion, they trade positions, they use picks with the puck carrier moving behind a blocking Oiler player, or alternatively the puck carrier moves in front of an OIler player and drops the puck.  Why can't the Canucks do this????

-  McDavid feints an attack on the net... draws the defense,  then passes off to an open OIler player... why can't the Canucks do this???  Miller is capable of this... so is Horvat...  so is Petey... but the Canucks NEVER try this.

-  The Oilers move the puck FAST... they use short quick passes to put the defense out of position and to confuse them.... eventually someone is open... this is the opposite of the Canucks... who are hesitant and slow in their passes... as if they are afraid of missing the puck or mishandling it.  This is something which can be addressed by practice...  sending and receiving quick fast passes.

-  The Oilers will shoot from any position... because they are in motion and lanes are opening up all the time, they take the opportunity to shoot or pass.

-  The Oilers WILL take the puck to the net... and score greasy ones... when was the last time the Canucks did this???

These are exactly what Barrie talked about in the interview... too bad some people aren't listening.

Whether or not the Canucks could get as good as the Oiler PP average... probably not... but they should be able to average in the low 20% easily if the PP was coached well.  Right now they are sitting at 16.9%.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*