The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mid November and our season is all but wasted, with 5.8% chance of making the Playoffs !

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

54 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Offer them full autonomy & mucho dollars.  I’m sure current ownership is willing to offer lots of the later but I wonder about the former.  That is the stumbling issue imho.

I'm sure $ is part of it for all candidates. Not sure any sports exec has full autonomy.

What do the Canucks need? are they looking for an experienced senior PHO with lots of connections? or a younger innovator-type? behind the scenes or motivator? until the organization does an assessment of what it needs you can't make the right hire.

I wonder how OEL and Garland feel.

At the time of the trade they probably thought "thank goodness we're getting out of the desert and get to join a real team, with possible playoffs!"  And then this. Hamonic's probably wishing he just stayed home. 

What is surprising is how nonchalant and calm ownership and management are about all of this.  No one's job is in trouble, just going day by day, see what's next. Great belief in this roster.    

They've played 19 games. Isn't the 20-game mark (or US Thanksgiving - aka Black Friday) the marker for assessing things?  This has been a major fail, all over. 

Benning should've been fired as soon as he let Markstrom walk.    5 fricken shutouts already

• Like 3

Just now, JM_ said:

I'm sure $ is part of it for all candidates. Not sure any sports exec has full autonomy.

What do the Canucks need? are they looking for an experienced senior PHO with lots of connections? or a younger innovator-type? behind the scenes or motivator? until the organization does an assessment of what it needs you can't make the right hire.

I think there is a lack of adequate support staff.  I have no doubts the Canucks would be better if that happened.  Burke had his Nonis & Quinn had his Burke.  Tony Soprano had his Silvio Dante.:P  John Weisbrod is more like Barney Fife.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think there is a lack of adequate support staff.  I have no doubts the Canucks would be better if that happened.  Burke had his Nonis & Quinn had his Burke.  Tony Soprano had his Silvio Dante.:P  John Weisbrod is more like Barney Fife.

Barney's evil twin maybe.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

EG., I doubt the NHL will do away with guaranteed contracts.  Players won’t go for that.

Reason why you have more of a system you suggested in the NFL & likely never will in the NHL.

So, what you are saying is - it's the players fault.  :metal:

Its to early to do % predictions. Ww could get mildly better and still have a 20% chance at the tdl if a couple teams infront lose steam or face injuries. 

Im curious how accurate their percentages ended up from this time last year.

6 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Remember St.Louis was last in the league mid season before they went on a tear, made the playoffs and won the cup. There’s always hope.

But Benning and Green need to go. Enough is enough

With Benning and Green still here there is little hope. I think what many of us miss is the hard fact when you fire some one you need a replacement in place and a new plan. This takes time no matter how frustrated the fan base may be. There is so much to undo and who does that before a fire and hire scenario. There's a lot to this not to mention the money Aqualini has to eat yet again.  

This isn't a ST Louis type team. I actually expect a heavy asset sell off. Very sad for November. 

Vancouver is done. This group didn't work.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder how OEL and Garland feel.

At the time of the trade they probably thought "thank goodness we're getting out of the desert and get to join a real team, with possible playoffs!"  And then this. Hamonic's probably wishing he just stayed home. 

What is surprising is how nonchalant and calm ownership and management are about all of this.  No one's job is in trouble, just going day by day, see what's next. Great belief in this roster.    

They've played 19 games. Isn't the 20-game mark (or US Thanksgiving - aka Black Friday) the marker for assessing things?  This has been a major fail, all over. 

Benning should've been fired as soon as he let Markstrom walk.    5 fricken shutouts already

I don't think ownership is all that calm, we just don't know. i bet they're pi$$ed  

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Its to early to do % predictions. Ww could get mildly better and still have a 20% chance at the tdl if a couple teams infront lose steam or face injuries. 

Im curious how accurate their percentages ended up from this time last year.

Historically, most teams outside the playoffs by American Thanksgiving end up out of the playoffs, pretty reliably 75-80% of the teams above the playoff bar end up in the playoffs..  The ones that do make it from the outside aren't generally ones that are at the bottom of the standings with a bunch of teams to leapfrop, but ones right in the mix by a game or two.

You are suggesting that IF everything goes right by other teams facing big injuries we could get up to a 20% chance to make the playoffs... those are still long odds.  It isn't just a couple teams though, we have to outplay 6 teams currently ahead of us to make the last wildcard spot.  We don't just have to outplay them by a little, we are 5 games under .500 and the bar is currently at 2 games above .500.  Historically it is higher than that.  It is mathematically improbable that all the teams we have to beat out ALL play that badly AND have to not take points from each other even though they play each other a lot.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/importance-nhl-playoff-spot-american-thanksgiving/

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

How many times has the St. Louis season been done in history. 

Stop bringing that up. It's the outlier, not the norm. 

The Canucks are done. 

Alex Pietrangelo

Jay Bouwmeester

Colton Parayko

Carl Gunnarsson

Robert Bortuzzo

Kevin Shattenkirk

****looks at Canucks blueline***** - yeah I see the similiarities.:lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Alex Pietrangelo

Jay Bouwmeester

Colton Parayko

Carl Gunnarsson

Robert Bortuzzo

Kevin Shattenkirk

****looks at Canucks blueline***** - yeah I see the similiarities.:lol:

The loss of Markstrom / Tanev has hurt this team more than we’d like to admit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

The loss of Markstrom / Tanev has hurt this team more than we’d like to admit.

I think a guy like Tanev provided a bit of veteran leadership as well.  Spent his entire career at that point in a Canucks uniform.  He bled for the team.  And was discarded like week old bread.  His loss was more than what he provided on the ice imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

After the latest loss, our odds of making the playoffs are at 5.8% based on latest calculations by Money Puck ( https://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm ). In other words; the season is all but over for us (barring a miracle) and its only Mid-November !

How did our season go so terribly wrong - so fast, after all THE PROMISES MADE BY JIM B and why isn't anyone accountable for this?

The Vancouver Whitecaps made the playoffs this year despite a terrible start..............what were their odds of making the playoffs at their lowest point?   I'm not saying that what you're saying is without concern, but rather, it's still only mid-November as you say. The Canucks should have gone 3-0 on this latest homestand.  And hey - we killed some penalties last night.  We are improving, and it's up to the Canucks to decide if it's too little too late or not.

• Cheers 1

Right now there seems little point hiring a new manager or coach. I don't see how any combination could turn this team round mid-season, it's a long term project. Beyond that it's hard to see how we could attract any top players here considering we have achieved nothing and are nowhere near being a contender in the future, we are right up against the salary cap so we can't offer ridiculous contracts, which probably means the only way up is with good drafting.

This road trip could well decide where we pick in the '22 draft. We have three games that on paper we will probably lose (Pittsburgh, Columbus, Boston) and two games against teams below us (Habs and Sens) which on paper we should win. I didn't think we could lose to the Hawks but we did, so I am not hopeful that we can necessarily beat MTL or OTT.

Could it be tank time already?

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

The Vancouver Whitecaps made the playoffs this year despite a terrible start..............what were their odds of making the playoffs at their lowest point?   I'm not saying that what you're saying is without concern, but rather, it's still only mid-November as you say. The Canucks should have gone 3-0 on this latest homestand.  And hey - we killed some penalties last night.  We are improving, and it's up to the Canucks to decide if it's too little too late or not.

the team looked really good last night, I don't really understand why Green kept going back to the lotto line when we needed Podzz going to the net.... but thats academic.

I've accepted this season is done, you can't overcome this start with this coaching staff. 

Doesn't mean I won't enjoy watching the continued development of Podz and Hoglander, and whatever other bright spots, or complain daily until next year. 

I'm just hoping something good long term comes out of all this. 

• Upvote 2