The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

So that would be Boeser or Garland.

Wonder what the return could be?  Won’t be Schneider+ though.

Or Miller, who plays all the positions, can fill in at C with injuries, and/or if Strome walks this summer. He also plays with more grit, can PK etc. Precisely what they're looking for. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

So that would be Boeser or Garland.

Wonder what the return could be?  Won’t be Schneider+ though.

I think they'd rather go after Miller who can play anywhere and is also a Center. He adds toughness and intangibles that Boeser doesn't. He can also play next year for cheap and replace Strome in the eventuality he doesn't re-sign. Boeser would be a pure rental as there is no way they re-sign him. I highly doubt they go Boeser, they would look elsewhere.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Never heard that anywhere. I thought he looked real good. Jumped down low for high quality chances twice. Looked like a veteran. Sublime and Tanev like in his demeaner but way better offensive instincts. Definitely see the pedigree there.

Wow, you got all of that from his 13 minutes of uneventful ice time? I was watching quite closely to see if he was going to show me anything like the hype I've heard. I saw a young 3rd pairing dman that wasn't brutal but definitely didn't show a lick of star power. Young defensemen take time and the kid is only 20, I'm pretty sure he will develop into a solid top 4 Dman. The pronger 2.0 was tougue and cheek but to label that abbreviated performance as Sublime is a massive stretch.

This is my 3rd time watching the kid play, I'm baffled at the talk of "untouchable" in the conversation of a JT miller trade. Solid young d-man with room to grow, he would definitely have to be a "piece" in a Miller deal but to even imagine him as having more value than JT and his contact is insanity.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

One month ago, I was a big supported of trading Miller at the TDL.

But now with how much work the boys have put in to get themselves back in it, I don't think we trade Miller at the TDL.

It also doesn't make much sense business wise to give up on the playoffs at this point. The team can sell tickets easier if each game means something.  If anything, I'd say the management will add a couple of players to help the PK and defensive side of the game.

We allowed fewest goals per game in the league over the course of 3 months (since BB took over). That's long enough stretch of games that I don't think it's just luck or just goaltending. It's the combination of stellar goaltending and team defence. I really like how the defence has been clearing the rebounds and loose pucks in front of the net.

We play Dallas twice and Vegas thrice. If the team puts their minds to it, they can play with anybody. I'd say the playoff spots are very much up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well, to build on that

If they didn't, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

This is a really smart thing to do because you get free opinions from other teams on how good your players are, on top of your own assessments.

I think retool is coming in the summer. The management would be foolish to dismantle this team at the TDL though. The players have worked so hard to get to this point after a poor start.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Wow, you got all of that from his 13 minutes of uneventful ice time? I was watching quite closely to see if he was going to show me anything like the hype I've heard. I saw a young 3rd pairing dman that wasn't brutal but definitely didn't show a lick of star power. Young defensemen take time and the kid is only 20, I'm pretty sure he will develop into a solid top 4 Dman. The pronger 2.0 was tougue and cheek but to label that abbreviated performance as Sublime is a massive stretch.

This is my 3rd time watching the kid play, I'm baffled at the talk of "untouchable" in the conversation of a JT miller trade. Solid young d-man with room to grow, he would definitely have to be a "piece" in a Miller deal but to even imagine him as having more value than JT and his contact is insanity.

I felt the same way. Currently, he is a 3rd pairing defecenman with upside. He didn't make any mistake (only 13 minutes though as you say).

I am also baffled at the talk of untouchable. This must be how other teams' fans felt about us talking about Olli Juolevi around 2018/2019.

I think if the team wanted to retool by trading Miller and get Schneider involved in a package, they will be able to get him. But it will be in the summer after the Rangers lose Strome to free agency.

If anything, I would say Lafreniere is untouchable. That shot he got off on that goal, it's not an easy shot to get off across the body like that. He would be an elite winger that would look amazing beside Petey.

Edited by khay

23 minutes ago, khay said:

One month ago, I was a big supported of trading Miller at the TDL.

But now with how much work the boys have put in to get themselves back in it, I don't think we trade Miller at the TDL.

It also doesn't make much sense business wise to give up on the playoffs at this point. The team can sell tickets easier if each game means something.  If anything, I'd say the management will add a couple of players to help the PK and defensive side of the game.

We allowed fewest goals per game in the league over the course of 3 months (since BB took over). That's long enough stretch of games that I don't think it's just luck or just goaltending. It's the combination of stellar goaltending and team defence. I really like how the defence has been clearing the rebounds and loose pucks in front of the net.

We play Dallas twice and Vegas thrice. If the team puts their minds to it, they can play with anybody. I'd say the playoff spots are very much up for grabs.

the picture will be more clear in a couple of weeks, for sure.  If they are in a playoff spot, I agree, they won't make any moves and I'm fine with that

• Cheers 1

Here is my problem..........

In 2014-2015 , we were 8th in the league, and then the following year, we were 28th in the league

then again

In 2019-2020, we were 17th in the league, but 7th in our conference so we go in and had a bit of a playoff run

and again, we fell back to earth in 2021-2022 we fell back down to 24th OA.

So, we had this short term history of up and down, and now we are up again. Now every time we are up, all the players are darlings, then we slump, and its trade everyone.

The problem being, is you never want to de-rail the start of a actual climb out of the basement, but on the other hand, you do not want to waste asset if it is just a one off.

So what is it, JR? Are we ready, or are we still in rebuild. Can any assets acquired be ready for this core? What is that cost? Is it a draft pick? Is it a trade? 

One thing for certain, without a trade of a major piece, there will be no UFA's of any significance. So the only other means is through the draft................and a 3 year wait.

It is fun to speculate, but honestly, I have no idea.

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

In 2014-2015 , we were 8th in the league, and then the following year, we were 28th in the league

then again

In 2019-2020, we were 17th in the league, but 7th in our conference so we go in and had a bit of a playoff run

So, we had this short term history of up and down, and now we are up again. Now every time we are up, all the players are darlings, then we slump, and its trade everyone.

The problem being, is you never want to de-rail the start of a actual climb out of the basement, but on the other hand, you do not want to waste asset if it is just a one off.

So what is it, JR? Are we ready, or are we still in rebuild. Can any assets acquired be ready for this core? What is that cost? Is it a draft pick? Is it a trade? 

One thing for certain, without a trade of a major piece, there will be no UFA's of any significance. So the only other means is through the draft................and a 3 year wait.

We have Demko. We have Bruce. We have Miller for now. 

What else do you need, man?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

then again

which is why I think they need to move both Miller and Boeser and re-tool around Horvat, Hughes, Petey, Hogz, Podz and Demko.  To me, that's the core, if surrounded by the right players, that will be ready to compete in a couple of years.  Miller simply doesn't fit that timeline.......not for that core and not for himself either.  A mix of prospects and younger roster players coming in from Miller/Boeser deals will go a long long way to improving the stability of this franchise

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Then they shouldn't have spent the first few months crapping the bed. And meanwhile, Miller could say he's willing to re-up at 6x$7.5 and Boser could re-up at 6x$6 and a lot of this will just go away.

AKA - STFU

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Then they shouldn't have spent the first few months crapping the bed. And meanwhile, Miller could say he's willing to re-up at 6x$7.5 and Boser could re-up at 6x$6 and a lot of this will just go away.

AKA - STFU

You can thank Travis “we don’t know what we’re doing” Green for that, imho.

there hasn’t been any significant roster changes since his firing so pretty easy to  determine he was a major part of the problem 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

AKA - STFU

Yep... most importantly they could shut it down any time they want by putting their money where their mouths are.  Fans in Canada aren't idiots (aside from Toronto, but that goes without saying), they know what the salary cap is and how that impacts decisions.  Both the players that are the main topics of conversation have the ability to end it all in a heartbeat.  If Boeser wants to hold out for a $7.5 million QO and walking himself to free agency, totally reasonable.  He doesn't get to be immune from speculation about his future it he decides that though.
If Miller publicly says he has discussed his future with the team and is willing to sign at a discount to stay with the group... he becomes in instant hero and he is eliminated from trade speculation.  People wonder about his future because of his age and what looking like it will be a $9-10 million dollar price tag for a long term deal... nobody wonders about his future with the deal you mentioned.  Then the attention just goes to more minor pieces like Poolman, Hamonic, Dickenson, etc to carve out some cap space.

Of course it is well known that if it is a report from Dhaliwal, it is direct from an agent's mouth and not the player themselves... so it should be taken in that context.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3