The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

30 minutes ago, BPA said:

You guys got it all wrong.  Miller would love to stay as a Canuck…if he’s paid $9M+ x 8yrs.  Sorry…no discount.

That is definitely another key point.  He absolutely could be fine staying here and might be willing to re-sign as a UFA.  His market value and age doesn’t make sense for us to buck up for what he is worth and what he will expect to get paid.

The only way it makes sense to keep and sign him is if we think we have a decent chance at contending while he is under contract (we don’t), or if he is making it clear he wants to sign here long term at a big discount we can’t say no to.

If neither of those things is the case, then the only discussion is WHEN to move him and what is in the best interests of the team.  Before this deadline, in the offseason, at next deadline, or just accept letting him walk to free agency IF we are in the playoff hunt next year and can’t really trade him then.

To me, the first week of July is the latest date we move on from him.  He will have had the chance to put pen to paper on an extension so the team can say it was his choice not to.  There will be a dozen teams that just missed out on big free agent targets scrambling to improve their rosters so giving up high end prospects and 2023 first rounds picks will still seem like a good trade off.

I am not advocating waiting until then, just that it should be the absolute drop dead date for us.  The very last thing we want to do is be in or near a wildcard spot next year at the deadline and having to decide whether it is worth it to let him walk just for the sake of maybe getting a round od playoffs.

Ideally the best deal presents itself now or at the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

What’s the problem with Kappo? He’s big and started playing in NHL when he was 18 and the numbers get better every year.

Nothing seriously wrong of course, although I'm not sure if I can agree he has gotten better every year. 

He is a good young forward but I don't see star potential in him like Laff has.  I'm sure Kaapo will have a successful career as a top 6 winger, but we shouldn't settle for that when we're dangling JT Miller, even after his interview almost solidifying his future, or non of, with Vancouver.

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Was listening to SN650 this morning and they were saying that NYR goalie Shesterkin is having a Vezina calibre season.  And they probably should make a run for the cup now.  Also said NYR needs to improve their bottom 6 and their D.

So maybe a bigger deal can be made.

Miller + Motte + Schenn

for

Laf/Kakko + Chytil + Schneider/Lundqvist + Othmann + 1st.

Yup... Goalie having a Vezina season. Guys like Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trouba playing at their peaks. Strome on an expiring contract. Loads of quality kids on ELC's...

They have a couple year window here where those things will remain largely unchanged. But soon guys like Strome may walk, Kreider, Trouba et al will start to decline, kids will need raises.

Their time to make hay is now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

With an implied touch of "Oh man I hope they trade me this deadline".

If Miller thinks the last couple months of trade talk have been bad, just wait for another 14 months of it if we don't trade him at the deadline. Miller trade talk is king.

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

If Miller thinks the last couple months of trade talk have been bad, just wait for another 14 months of it if we don't trade him at the deadline. Miller trade talk is king.

Not if we re-up him this summer….

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok, this pains me to say because I think you ALL know where I stand with this... but hearing JT Miller in that interview, I don't hear commitment in his voice or his tone at all.  You even got the long pause before he spoke.  Ugh... this is coming from ME... one of the biggest supporters of keeping Miller, but man, that did NOT sound like a player that wants to stay here long term. 

Let the trade proposals happen... I'm on board guys.  :mellow:

Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Our Brock is a rockstar.

Their Brock is a nerd.

Hard Pass.

Byfield or bust. Only way I would trade within the division.

yup, Byfield would be theonly target out of LA if it were me.

22 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'd be absolutely shocked if he resigns here. Even if the Canucks want to sign him, I just don't see it. But power to those who are hoping for that.

Especially now that he publicly stated that the media here is annoying.

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Turcotte while starting off a bit slow could be because of bouncing back from an injury. He was picked 5th overall a couple years ago. Good center prospect I’d like him back. Also Grans and Faber are decent RHD prospects. I also wouldn’t mind taking a flier on Vilardi as a throw in. They have a good collection of some decent C and RHD guys.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

29 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Turcotte while starting off a bit slow could be because of bouncing back from an injury. He was picked 5th overall a couple years ago. Good center prospect I’d like him back. Also Grans and Faber are decent RHD prospects. I also wouldn’t mind taking a flier on Vilardi as a throw in. They have a good collection of some decent C and RHD guys.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Our Brock is a rockstar.

Their Brock is a nerd.

Hard Pass.

Screenshot_20220303-174536_Chrome.jpg

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Our Brock is a rockstar.

Their Brock is a nerd.

Hard Pass.

Byfield is probably too big an ask, if that's the make or break LA likely walks 

He's got star written all over him and he's likely looked at as their future top center moreso than Vilardi or Turcotte 

I see em as a team on the rise, a playoff team, but I'm not sure Miller's enough to take them to the next level sooner than later, I don't personally think he does and I question how long he can maintain this level of play

Edited by Coconuts

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Byfield is probably too big an ask, if that's the make or break LA likely walks 

He's got star written all over him and he's likely looked at as their future top center moreso than Vilardi or Turcotte 

I see em as a team on the rise, a playoff team, but I'm not sure Miller's enough to take them to the next level sooner than later, I don't personally think he does and I question how long he can maintain this level of play

I don't QB is too big of an ask, but I agree that LA probably isn't a great fit for a Miller deal.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I hear the interview quite differently than others, it seems. Miller said it all the right way, imo. He understands the business and came across as a professional who, regardless of the rumours, goes out and does what he's paid to do, which is to do everything he can to win hockey games. He's mentally tough whereas others... possibly not so much. I want more Millers and less woe-is-me types who let trade rumours impact and dictate their play on the ice. If you want to win or get a big pay day, be a professional and play like it.

I didn't feel it came across as non-committal but rather someone who understands that the business can go either way, but the only thing you can do is play hard and see how things play out. 

I've been watching hockey interviews for 40+ years. Never have I seen a player not at least mention they would like to play for the team in the future, at least as a platitude to the fans, or even to quench the existing fire, even if it's not entirely true. In the hockey world making statements like these are second nature, like breathing. He said nothing of the sort ... but yes he was extremely professional, serious minded, and focused on business like usual.

J.T. is a different animal so maybe he's just not acting like a usual hockey player but if I'm getting the same type of talk as a J.R., or Allvin, I'm shopping him hard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the fact of the matter is with our tax dollars we will have to overpay in order to keep our vets like Miller, Boeser, Horvat unless they take a home town discount and buy in. That’s why the only way I see us retool until the cap starts going up, is through the draft where we will have cost controlled years. I think we need to get rid of 2 of those names for picks and Prospects. I also think we need to get rid of Myers or OEL in order to start reshaping our team, I feel if Myers were to go to UFA he would get close to his 6 million for 2 years. Teams are usually willing to pay more money for less term, Myers would probably get a 4m x 2yr as of today as a UFA. With all that free cap while we are building through the draft we take on bad contracts and leverage extra value (picks/prospects) on a couple players from teams (Vegas etc) who need to shed cap space. In 3 years we will start to see results and we should have a top Prospect pool and one of the better 25 and under cores in the league.

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Like 2