The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

So it is highly doubtful a team overpays the Canucks to acquire JT Miller this season, but can CDC all agree that once the summer arrives and JT and his camp come forward with what they want to sign IF they even want to sign in Vancouver then the off season is when the Canucks MUST trade JT if he doesn't sign here or is asking for the moon to remain a Canuck,

The team can NOT cave into JT's demands and give him 8yrs north on 9m per year, it would hurt us down the road more than it would help us short term. The Canucks are NOT a Cup contending threat right now, if they were you sign JT and hope the team delivers a Stanley Cup while he is playing well still and deal with the bad contract down the road.

I do NOT want to see us end up with a Jamie Benn on our hands where we are handcuffed by a long term contract for a guy that slows down with years left on his deal...that will NOT help the Canucks when we are going to be competitive it will hamper us!

• Cheers 4

23 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Most folks advocating for Miller to be traded aren't interested in a package of only picks, this has been brought up repeatedly. But even if they get a high pick as part of a package, and they should, that could be moved too. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

A Miller trade also doesn't happen in a vacuum, there would almost certainly be other moves between it and next season's training camp. It'll also likely take more than a year to get to where JR and AL want this team to be. We likely aren't looking at a one year turnaround.

Clear vision? That I agree on, but you can only control what you can control. Gotta be flexible.

Finally, nobody's saying he'd be easy to replace. We get that, but that doesn't mean this team can't also be good without him. Trading him could potentially set this team up for success, it depends on the return. Any Miller trade should bring back significant pieces, that's no small thing. This team doesn't live or die by Miller long term imo, and I'd argue it doesn't even do that now, it lives or dies by Demko.

I think we sort of agree. I don't view it as definite that we need to trade Miller until we get to the offseason & have all the information. (If he'd stay, what a contract looks like, what teams would offer, what other options we have for dealing other players, exc)

I think it's very interconnected & if we move Miller it's got be apart of a series of moves that allows us to reshape the team while remaining competitive (and growing). 

I agree the team revolves around Demko and Hughes, not necessarily Miller (though a top 10 scorer is a great piece). But even then, both are on 5/6 year deals & that go to UFA, so it's not time to be taking 'rebuilding' type steps backward that waste key years.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't agree that it's a guarantee he leaves. He said how much he appreciates Vancouver giving him the opportunity to be a front-line player. Sounds like hes happy with his playing situation to me.

You say he hasn't indicated much about whether he'd stay, but I'd suggest he just hasnt indicated much about the situation period. I think we will get a better sense of that in the offseason once he's eligible for an extension.

I 100% get not wanting to lose him for nothing, but I don't think we are at that point yet. And even if we did think he's leaving, I'm not totally convinced now is a better time to do it as compared to the summer. In the summer there will be more teams in the mix & a possibility for extension talks. Look what Columbus did with Seth Jones for example.

If we are trading him right now it's b/c there's a package available that makes sense/is too good to turn down, not just collecting whatever we can.

I don't believe anyone said he is guaranteed to leave.  We are stating there is a high chance he may not re-sign with us as he is entering a golden opportunity to test the market as an UFA in his prime, and there is nothing that suggests he has deep ties to Vancouver to favor us in an open market.  He most likely will, and rightfully so for all his hard work, entertain all the offers coming his way from different teams, and make his decision based on amount, terms, security, location, etc... 

Miller is a professional.  Even if he wants to leave, he will show appreciation for his current team until the final minute of his contract.  Whether he wants to leave or not, we do not know.  The problem is, that final minute is approaching, and the longer we hold on to Miller, the more risk we take on our end.

Hence, we're only suggesting that, it probably makes the most sense to get the right value for Miller when we have the opportunity, and when we have the position of power to make the right decisions.  It certainly does not look like we are cup contenders (playoff clinchers maybe) anytime soon, and with Miller's contract terminating in a year and half, the uncertainty of him re-signing with us, Canucks management having the freedom to entertain offers from all teams (no NMC thank god), and with Miller having peak value, maximizing our return asset should be seriously considered at this TDL.

We do not want to trade Miller for scraps, no one has suggested that.  Most of us are arguing against other people who believe we should hold onto Miller at all cost because he is currently our best player.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think we sort of agree. I don't view it as definite that we need to trade Miller until we get to the offseason & have all the information. (If he'd stay, what a contract looks like, what teams would offer, what other options we have for dealing other players, exc)

I think it's very interconnected & if we move Miller it's got be apart of a series of moves that allows us to reshape the team while remaining competitive (and growing). 

I agree the team revolves around Demko and Hughes, not necessarily Miller (though a top 10 scorer is a great piece). But even then, both are on 5/6 year deals & that go to UFA, so it's not time to be taking 'rebuilding' type steps backward that waste key years.

If the Canucks don,t have a solid chance at playoffs Miller has to go. No waiting until summer. When his contract is up he will want money and term. Why wouldn’t he? His timeline is not Vancouver’s. My assumption is that the bidding for him will be high and that Rutherford gets a sweetheart deal. If the deal is as good as expected JR might even pull the trigger with the Canucks still competing for a spot. It would be a gutsy move and require a sell job to fans but I think it is doable.

Have we thought outside of the box here?

Like a non playoff team in a sign and trade scenario?

NYI?

BUF?

CBJ?

There's some strong possibilities that Miller might enjoy the non hockey market leadership role.  A nice long term contract, good pay day and he can slowly slow down and transition from 1st to 3rd liner over the next 7-8 years on a team that will be on the upswing and competitive within a season or two.

Just a thought

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah, I think we def agree in part. I understand wanting to maximize Demko and Hughes's current contracts, and I agree that any Miller move likely doesn't happen in a vacuum. I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see some serious surgery happen to the roster we've been watching, and I'm honestly okay with that. 

I'm not hellbent in believing that trading Miller at the deadline is a must, we could very well move him at the draft, but I am a proponent of moving him whether that's sooner or later. I think the deadline would get us the best return, but that depends on what other teams are prepared to pay obviously. 

I see JR and Al wanting to free up cap space on the roster, and that's either going to involve simply waiting things out (unlikely), paying to move players out, or moving some of our higher end guys out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller and Boeser both go. I don't see us using high picks to move guys, so I question how we'll make that happen. Do they give Dickinson another season to figure things out? 

I still think our D has some serious question marks, I'm skeptical of everyone who's not OEL or Hughes. I don't see Myers being retained after his contract expires, but I don't see us trading him either. I'm not sure about Hamonic, but I wager any top 4D replacement would cost us more than he's currently making. I question Poolman and the rest of our bottom pairing options too. 4/6 D are question marks going forward. 

Do we have the right mix in our top six? What about our bottom six? Who's going to back up Demko? Lot of questions, and odds are it takes a while to shuffle things around and tinker with the roster. It's extremely unlikely to be a one or two season turnaround imo. 

Even if management tinkers, and despite my thinking we could compete for the playoffs next season with or without Miller, I don't see us as contenders sooner than later. Teams don't usually jump from mediocre to being contenders, and most teams take a while to break through. The Avs are still experiencing that, it happened to the Caps and Blues as well. Tampa too. 

I don't believe we'll be contenders over the next 2-3 seasons, and I know what JR said. So I question how much top end play Miller has left in the tank given 2-3 years takes him to roughly 32. Fans shouldn't look at him as 28, but as being almost 29 as he will be in seven days. Is the player some fans have fallen in love with at 26-28 the player we'll be watching when he's 33? Will he play at a high enough level to justify the likely 8.5-9M+ it'd cost us to retain him? It's a legitimate question. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 2

Not really understanding where this consensus that teams won't pay up for JT are coming from. What are they going to say - sure we'll happily trade a 1st and a top prospect and a good player? Just posturing.

The deadline is 2 weeks away, that's an eternity from now, and the perspective will be different once one or more of Rakell, Chychrun, Klingberg, Giroux, Kessel etc. are moved. Especially eastern teams like PIT, BOS, FLA and NYR will look for that extra advantage.The rumoured pool of available players are also pretty thin which should work to our advantage.

I wouldn't bet on JT being moved at this TDL, but I would be surprised if all of Horvat/Garland/Myers/JT/Boeser are still here after it. Motte, Schenn and Hamonic are also players that could be moved under the right circumstances.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J-P said:

Not really understanding where this consensus that teams won't pay up for JT are coming from. What are they going to say - sure we'll happily trade a 1st and a top prospect and a good player? Just posturing.

The deadline is 2 weeks away, that's an eternity from now, and the perspective will be different once one or more of Rakell, Chychrun, Klingberg, Giroux, Kessel etc. are moved. Especially eastern teams like PIT, BOS, FLA and NYR will look for that extra advantage.The rumoured pool of available players are also pretty thin which should work to our advantage.

I wouldn't bet on JT being moved at this TDL, but I would be surprised if all of Horvat/Garland/Myers/JT/Boeser are still here after it. Motte, Schenn and Hamonic are also players that could be moved under the right circumstances.

I think how the team performs over the next two weeks will have a lot to say about that. We could be in a position where almost no one gets shipped out because we’ve continued winning or we could see the team falter and multiple pieces moved. It will be interesting to watch either way. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

NYI?

BUF?

CBJ?

There's some strong possibilities that Miller might enjoy the non hockey market leadership role.  A nice long term contract, good pay day and he can slowly slow down and transition from 1st to 3rd liner over the next 7-8 years on a team that will be on the upswing and competitive within a season or two.

Just a thought

The Isles could certainly use him, they're a much better team than they've looked this season. Covid and injuries have done a number on them. 

But I question where the cap comes from, as NYI already has six forwards being paid 5M+ and Barzal will need a new contract in a couple seasons.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

The Isles could certainly use him, they're a much better team than they've looked this season. Covid and injuries have done a number on them. 

But I question where the cap comes from, as NYI already has six forwards being paid 5M+ and Barzal will need a new contract in a couple seasons.

Just spitballing teams.  Even Philli could be an option.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

NYI?

BUF?

CBJ?

Just a thought

What the hell Warhippy?!  GET BACK IN THE BOX!!  GEEZ...!

New York Rangers!

Colorado Avalanche!

Boston Bruins!

That's it!  NOBODY ELSE OKAY?!

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What the hell Warhippy?!  GET BACK IN THE BOX!!  GEEZ...!

New York Rangers!

Colorado Avalanche!

Boston Bruins!

That's it!  NOBODY ELSE OKAY?!

No bears....ew no.  I still can not find anything in their line up that would be worthwhile except the two spoken names of Lysell (?) and Debrusk/Carlo.  I just don't see it happening.

The rags keep suggesting Kravstov like somehow he has ANY value at all, when in reality he is essentially as valuable as Trymakin during this conflict with his status and refusal to play.  They also refuse to accept the idea of trading the 2-3 assets that would be essential to make the deal and honestly, Chytil, Kravstov and a 1st doesn't move the needle.

The Avs would be 10% who i'd wanna speak to, but Barron/Newhook are non starters by all accounts.  They'd be more accepting losing Byram but how do we accept a broken player who might be one more hit from drinking his soup through a straw?

We'll have to look outside the box here.

LAK?

CBJ?

NYI?

PHI?

Something there, almost has to be

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No bears....ew no.  I still can not find anything in their line up that would be worthwhile except the two spoken names of Lysell (?) and Debrusk/Carlo.  I just don't see it happening.

The rags keep suggesting Kravstov like somehow he has ANY value at all, when in reality he is essentially as valuable as Trymakin during this conflict with his status and refusal to play.  They also refuse to accept the idea of trading the 2-3 assets that would be essential to make the deal and honestly, Chytil, Kravstov and a 1st doesn't move the needle.

The Avs would be 10% who i'd wanna speak to, but Barron/Newhook are non starters by all accounts.  They'd be more accepting losing Byram but how do we accept a broken player who might be one more hit from drinking his soup through a straw?

We'll have to look outside the box here.

LAK?

CBJ?

NYI?

PHI?

Something there, almost has to be

I think we wait until the offseason... there will be more buyers then.  I'll enjoy watching NYR lose in the playoffs and complain that they would have won if they had more top 6 scoring punch lol

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think we wait until the offseason... there will be more buyers then.  I'll enjoy watching NYR lose in the playoffs and complain that they would have won if they had more top 6 scoring punch lol

Could be some teams wishing they had traded for JT when they get knocked out. Then, in the off season, they'll make sure not to make that mistake again and do what is necessary to get him  :bigblush:   

I'm not sure Miller will be available next TDL, unless they plan to trade him. He could be re-signed in the off season as well.  Big decisions for the new management.  

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think how the team performs over the next two weeks will have a lot to say about that. We could be in a position where almost no one gets shipped out because we’ve continued winning or we could see the team falter and multiple pieces moved. It will be interesting to watch either way. 

There's also the very real scenario where we keep winning, but so do other conference rivals and we still end up 5pts short?  Then we're in the off-season where Miller is on an expiring contract (less value to some teams), BB is due a massive QO (less value to some teams), and Motte/Halak are UFA? 

4 hours ago, T.Demko said:

What is more ironic is those posters are ones that fight to keep Miller as they believe he is irreplaceable and is a premier power forward in his prime who is a fantastic leader.  I mean, we don't disagree, but if that is who Miller is, he certainly ain't signing for that.  

I get people are emotionally attached and doesn't want to assess the situation realistically as it unfavors their narrative, but hey... you gotta face reality at some point.

I remember he was on SN650 a week ago? I heard Sat or Bick or someone ask him about his future, and JT was soooo coy about it. Didn’t even address it, just said his focus was on winning. Are you &^@#ing kidding me, man? 

Get him out of here, get the most assets you can for the guy. 

Only issue is that nobody is offering much for him, or not as much as management is asking.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

There's also the very real scenario where we keep winning, but so do other conference rivals and we still end up 5pts short?  Then we're in the off-season where Miller is on an expiring contract (less value to some teams), BB is due a massive QO (less value to some teams), and Motte/Halak are UFA? 

Would be the worst case scenario in my books if that were to happen. 

I keep seeing more Colorado rumours around Miller for Byram, not sure if they are all spring boarding off a ai by LW older report.

That would be such a tough call, they are the legit Cup favourites to me so it makes sense for them.

A rookie that may never fully recover from concussions is a scary thing to have as a main piece coming back.

At the same time if there was a Byram, Newhook, and Barron deal for Miller and Motte, the upside of that could be tremendous.  Imagine our team if Horvat was pushed down to 3C…

• Like 1