The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

Anything beyond 8x5 is a bad deal for Vancouver, imo........8x6 at the very worst.  The problem is, why would he take that?  I'm not sure why anyone thinks he's going to sign in Van for anything under $9m

I doubt there's a cup contender that can pay that much either.  He's kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm quite certain that a guy like Miller has his heart set on winning a SC in the next few years, but most contending

teams are in cap hell.  Call it Covid, call it no increase in the SC in the past 3 years.  The teams with the good

SC type players, just can't afford to take on a $9m cap hit.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I doubt there's a cup contender that can pay that much either.  He's kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm quite certain that a guy like Miller has his heart set on winning a SC in the next few years, but most contending

teams are in cap hell.  Call it Covid, call it no increase in the SC in the past 3 years.  The teams with the good

Nashville can

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Or perhaps they decide to re-sign Forsburg? 

That wont be much of a raise, maybe $2m and the Preds are a team i could see miller taking a bit of a discount for.  With a couple moves they could have both

he'll easily be able to fetch a 9mil x 7 deal out there in the open market.. that's way more enticing than a 8x8 deal from vancouver.. 1million less overall in terms of the actual contract.. but depends on which city he signs in could be way more due to tax.. also gives him the freedom to play 1 less year if he decides his body can't handle it anymore.. and if he decides he can continue can easily go and sign with a contender for minimum and it'll still add up to 8 years at 64mil.. so keep dreaming he'll sign at 8x8 coz he won't get 64mil anywhere else.. when really he can easily get 63mil in 7 years and sign a 1mil with incentive contract after it expires if he wants to continue.. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Nashville can

Joe Rexode who covers Nashville says if they do anything it will be cheap.  Poile announced a rebuild in the summer to get younger/faster but later categorised it as a re-tool (he was going to extend Ekholm) but still insisted on drafting and getting younger.  I know your argument about Poile not getting younger but I don't see him damaging the future of Nashville for his own ambition.  He's also got a lifelong job there and it's his son that looks to be ear-marked to take over as GM.  All the reasons you give for not extending Miller are all the reasons why Nashville can't do it.  

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Miller is 1C

Petey is 2C

Methinks Bowie is on the block.

Unlikely

You don't even consider moving Bo until you're absolutely certain you can retain JT

Move Bo and you give Miller more leverage in contract negotiations because without him it's just Pettersson as a top six center 

Move Horvat only for Miller to hum and hah about a contract and you've got trouble, move Horvat only for Miller to decide he wants to explore the market and you've got a disaster

Dunno why people keep suggesting we'll move Horvat at the deadline, it makes no sense 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Unlikely

You don't even consider moving Bo until you're absolutely certain you can retain JT

Move Bo and you give Miller more leverage because without him it's just Pettersson as a top six center 

Move Horvat only for Miller to hum and hah about a contract and you've got trouble, move Horvat only for Miller to decide he wants to explore the market and you've got a disaster

Dunno why people keep suggesting we'll move Horvat at the deadline, it makes no sense 

Even then I would move both Boeser and Garland before Horvat.

Horvat is way more vital than both Garland/Boeser. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

For sure, he brings dimensions neither of them can bring to this roster 

Having him on the roster also frees Miller up to do his thing, move him out and suddenly Miller's playing some of the more defensive minutes Horvat eats and has to take some of the faceoffs Horvat usually takes

Horvat isn't a Kesler caliber defensive player but he does an adequate job while providing top six level offense, we've nobody in the system who can replace what he brings 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Could have our cake and eat it too. Trade him for a haul of top prospects to Colorado and sign him in free agency in a year and a half. They’ll never have the cap space to re-sign Miller with MacKinnon due for a raise that same offseason and having Rantanen, Landeskog and Makar all making so much already. We could trade for his rights to give him that 8 years to sway him away from free agency. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could have our cake and eat it too. Trade him for a haul of top prospects to Colorado and sign him in free agency in a year and a half. They’ll never have the cap space to re-sign Miller with MacKinnon due for a raise that same offseason and having Rantanen, Landeskog and Makar all making so much already. We could trade for his rights to give him that 8 years to sway him away from free agency. 

To get an 8 year deal the player has to be on the team's roster at the latest TDL.  

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Agree. More I think about it, it makes sense to keep all of Miller, EP, and Bo.

Miller is born in 93, Bo in 95, Petey in 98. That's perfect age gap. 

If Miller wants to re-sign we should do so. This is one occasion where I would be OK with handing out NMC to get lower cap number.

Build the team around the 3Cs + Lammikko. Upgrading wingers is way easier be it through the draft or trade. Getting a 1C like Miller is extremely hard.

Only if Miller doesn't want to re-sign, we trade him and retool.

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

horvat for newhook + Barron + 1st

horvat makes a ton of sense for them

If they offer this deal for Horvat, then we should seriously consider it. 

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Miller is 1C

Petey is 2C

Methinks Bowie is on the block.

But I don't think Bo is on the block? That would surprised me.

I'd move out one of the similarly priced wingers (Garland or Boeser) to free up cap to sign Miller before moving Horvat out, unless we get a good package back including a young center like Newhook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khay said:

If they offer this deal for Horvat, then we should seriously consider it. 

But I don't think Bo is on the block? That would surprised me.

I'd move out one of the similarly priced wingers (Garland or Boeser) to free up cap to sign Miller before moving Horvat out, unless we get a good package back including a young center like Newhook.

Yeah, I don’t think Bo’s on the market. Offers are probably not good enough where they’d move him. 

And I don’t think he’s going to be ridiculous in terms of his next contractual expectations/demands. A modest raise from what he was making. I think he gets 6.5, at the most 6.75M over the max term. Would bring him to his mid 30’s by the time his contract is up. He becomes a life-time Canuck, and hopefully wins a Cup here. 

I think with Miller. Boy that’s a hard one isn’t it? If they trade him, team’s probably not getting back what they’re hoping for. But there’s a risk that if he remains, he doesn’t live up to his contract. I wonder with Miller, if they can front load his contract so he makes the majority of his money the first couple of years, and less in the latter years of his contract? 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I don’t think Bo’s on the market. Offers are probably not good enough where they’d move him. 

And I don’t think he’s going to be ridiculous in terms of his next contractual expectations/demands. A modest raise from what he was making. I think he gets 6.5, at the most 6.75M over the max term. Would bring him to his mid 30’s by the time his contract is up. He becomes a life-time Canuck, and hopefully wins a Cup here. 

I think with Miller. Boy that’s a hard one isn’t it? If they trade him, team’s probably not getting back what they’re hoping for. But there’s a risk that if he remains, he doesn’t live up to his contract. I wonder with Miller, if they can front load his contract so he makes the majority of his money the first couple of years, and less in the latter years of his contract? 

Why do you want to front load his deal?  Makes it less efficient to buy the contract out in case of a steep decline or are you thinking more of a trade scenario when he starts to slow down.

In a front loaded deal the highest year can't be more than twice the lowest.  

Edited by mll