The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

14 minutes ago, mll said:

So why believe that it wouldn't be the same for other teams.  They too have to manage their cap and might not want to have several 8M+ players either.  

Other teams absolutely have to, but teams who believe they're on the cusp have absolutely tried going all in in the past and it'll happen again. 

We're not a contender, we can't take the risks a contender might take. If Colorado, Florida, or New York come up short in the postseason they could very well try going after Miller, but that's not the sort of a move a team like ours is in a position to make.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Other teams absolutely have to, but teams who believe they're on the cusp have absolutely tried going all in in the past and it'll happen again. 

We're not a contender, we can't take the risks a contender might take. If Colorado, Florida, or New York come up short in the postseason they could very well try going after Miller, but that's not the sort of a move a team like ours is in a position to make.

If Miller has another year like this one I suspect his ask will be close to $10 mil with 6 years term. How does that fit in Vancouver. Bottom line it doesn't. Van has to get better on the back end and Miller is the asset that could bring a quality d-man back to Vancouver. 

8 hours ago, mll said:

So why believe that it wouldn't be the same for other teams.  They too have to manage their cap and might not want to have several 8M+ players either.  

I’m leaning toward Miller being a rental if traded.  His value is as a rental to a team that feels they are close.  They will not re-sign him.  So he becomes a UFA 2023.  Which team will give him a contract like we will offer this July?  He will sign with us.  It’s how he makes the most money.   66 million with us.  50 million summer 2023.  

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Miller has another year like this one I suspect his ask will be close to $10 mil with 6 years term. How does that fit in Vancouver. Bottom line it doesn't. Van has to get better on the back end and Miller is the asset that could bring a quality d-man back to Vancouver. 

The trade Miller for a high end young D ship sailed at this last TDL.  We missed that boat.  

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I def see moving him as a way to improve our back end 

I figure it'll be resolved one way or another before next season begins, going into next season with him unsigned would be a distraction, and trying to gun for the playoffs only to have him walk in the offseason would be a disaster

We can't afford to lose players for nothing if we can help it 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The trade Miller for a high end young D ship sailed at this last TDL.  We missed that boat.  

I wouldn't be so sure, the upside to moving him in the offseason is more teams will be able to inquire and bid imo 

Easier to make significant roster moves when you're not in the thick of a playoff hunt, easier to do it when you've got the entire summer to free up cap space as well 

New York isn't the only team out there with D they could trade 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I def see moving him as a way to improve our back end 

I figure it'll be resolved one way or another before next season begins, going into next season with him unsigned would be a distraction, and trying to gun for the playoffs only to have him walk in the offseason would be a disaster

We can't afford to lose players for nothing if we can help it 

I wouldn't be so sure, the upside to moving him in the offseason is more teams will be able to inquire and bid imo 

Easier to make significant roster moves when you're not in the thick of a playoff hunt, easier to do it when you've got the entire summer to free up cap space as well 

New York isn't the only team out there with D they could trade 

Would any team trade for 

Miller with the expectation to sign him immediately to a long term, big money extension though?   

He’s a guy that’s a now a one year (one playoff) rental.  

Any young D we get (now) in return will not be NHL ready.  Less a sure thing.

I’m hoping the Avs are knocked out early (Vegas?).  And they pony up Byram.  Big risk, with his head issues, but huge ceiling.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

I sure hope you’re right and my belief our owner has got involved (again) is just the thought of a drunk, scooter driving, furry, old bastard.  

Not sure. Rutherford is much older and much more successful as a hockey man than his predecessor.

I don’t think Rutherford would get ragdolled into making decisions concerning his own position on player management.

12 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

There's an article on Allvin in today's The Province where he talked about his thoughts on the players:
“We have some good players here in place. I think every single player down there in the room have something to prove. We don’t have the superstar. We’re not a contending team right now. So every single player has something to prove to us. And that’s going to be the mindset moving forward.”

Allvin knows he has some tough roster decisions to make in the months to come, with Brock Boeser needing a new contract and both J.T. Miller and Bo Horvat heading into the final years of their deals. And yes, the salary cap presents challenges.

“I you want to be a good team, there’s only so much you can pay for players. You can pick and pay one or two players a lot of money, but then you know, the team in front of you is not good.”

Based on that, there's no way he'll be paying superstar money on anybody on the team. I think JT's gone and Boeser's not going to get $6 mil.

I sure hope so.  If Brock wants arbitration on a fair deal that's offered then so be it.   He can move on and maybe become a star on another team or maybe not.   We've had guys like Carter do what he did his first year too...and legit guys like Vaive and Neely move on but that was way way too long ago to be worried about.   And then actually legit guys like Tanti that could score a lot of goals year after year.   Same with Linden before he was moved to center.   I like Brock and hope he gets his groove back, but feel even his bridge was too much - and that's with the cap going up which it didn't.    One good season isn't enough (last year).    We can find other guys to do a better or similar job as UFAs.      I'm glad Allvin said that personally - and it echos what Bruce had to say about the team.   I'd be absolutely fine with trading both Miller and Brock for a re-set IF the return made sense.    Also would be fine with one hockey trade and giving this team as it is a chance to make the playoffs next season and prove itself as well.    Guess we will find out within the next 14 months one way or the other. 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I sure hope so.  If Brock wants arbitration on a fair deal that's offered then so be it.   He can move on and maybe become a star on another team or maybe not.   We've had guys like Carter do what he did his first year too...and legit guys like Vaive and Neely move on but that was way way too long ago to be worried about.   And then actually legit guys like Tanti that could score a lot of goals year after year.   Same with Linden before he was moved to center.   I like Brock and hope he gets his groove back, but feel even his bridge was too much - and that's with the cap going up which it didn't.    One good season isn't enough (last year).    We can find other guys to do a better or similar job as UFAs.      I'm glad Allvin said that personally - and it echos what Bruce had to say about the team.   I'd be absolutely fine with trading both Miller and Brock for a re-set IF the return made sense.    Also would be fine with one hockey trade and giving this team as it is a chance to make the playoffs next season and prove itself as well.    Guess we will find out within the next 14 months one way or the other. 

i like how you guys hold boeser to such an inflated standard and say he only had 1 good season and that was last season lol.. his previous season before that he only had 4 less points.. he'll hit 20+ goals again this season and that would give him 20+ goals every season in the league minus the season that ended early which he probably would have gotten 20+ goals again. is boeser worth the 7.5? no.. but to say he only had 1 good season.. that's a joke.. who was the last canucks to avg 20+ goals per season every season entering the league in the last couple decade? people complain about boeser footspeed.. well he must be doing something right then if he can't skate but still manage to put in 20 goals a season

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i like how you guys hold boeser to such an inflated standard and say he only had 1 good season and that was last season lol.. his previous season before that he only had 4 less points.. he'll hit 20+ goals again this season and that would give him 20+ goals every season in the league minus the season that ended early which he probably would have gotten 20+ goals again. is boeser worth the 7.5? no.. but to say he only had 1 good season.. that's a joke.. who was the last canucks to avg 20+ goals per season every season entering the league in the last couple decade? people complain about boeser footspeed.. well he must be doing something right then if he can't skate but still manage to put in 20 goals a season

The funny thing is that they hate Boeser but praise Garland (who so far has never cracked 40pts…maybe this year he will) at $5M.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's right. I yelled "HIT IT" and water skied right past, waving and wearing my new Miller jersey!

Teams obviously WANTED him but weren't willing to pay the price he's worth. I'm glad this team isn't getting fleeced and letting players go just because they can. Have to be in the driver's seat and a team with Miller is much different than a team without Miller.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

The funny thing is that they hate Boeser but praise Garland (who so far has never cracked 40pts…maybe this year he will) at $5M.

I wonder if Brock will sign a three year 6.25 mil contract with us?  

38 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think that not mentioning his Calder runner up - All-Star MVP performance goes without saying.   He's had two very good seasons, both partial ones.   Actually this is his longest season to date.   My point is - and if you have read enough of my posts you'd know i've been one of his big advocates - but don't expect you to remember that either so peace on that front - my point is we have had other guys over the years that have done a heck of a lot more and we're considered support players.   That's what Brock is now.   It sucks because before his wrist and back injuries absolutely the moon looked like his trajectory.    There is nothing wrong with 50-60 point top six guys, who might have a few 70 plus point seasons.   Every team needs them.   But we shouldn't be paying his qualifying offer that's for sure.   His comps put him in a 4-5 year deal - 25-27 million.   Nothing wrong with that.   What is wrong is a 7-8 year deal at 6 plus.   He absolutely hasn't earned it yet.    Someone mentioned Hoffman.   That's a decent comp - I watched his entire time in OTT. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think it’s time to part with Brock,   Try to land that young Thompson kid from Buffalo..

or something.

I wish.  That kid (24yr old) is having a breakout year with 30g 53pts.  He’s big at 6’6” and fast.

• Like 1

Brock got Monohan 2.0 etched out pretty clear. If someone wants to sign him to a long term deal I think you cash out and cash out now. 

Same goes for Miller, he wasn't and isn't as injured as Kesler was, but Father Time never loses. Cash out and reap the benefits in 2 years, we already wasted 8 with that nitwit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think it’s time to part with Brock,   Try to land that young Thompson kid from Buffalo..

or something.

Spectacular player indeed.  I don't think the Nucks have the assets (including the 1st) to make

a trade for that guy. 

Made me think about how Lassi Thompson is doing; checked him out and he's playing

really well on Ott's farm team. Not sure about the Senators' need for a top 6 RW, or even

if the Sens would want to trade their RD prospect, but Lassie is looking like a sure thing

to make some noise in the NHL.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

he wasn't and isn't as injured as Kesler was, but 

You can't do this though. Kesler's hip injuries were very significant....he needed to have them resurfaced. It's well documented that he was numbing the pain and playing anyhow. He still can't run or do impact activities from what he's reported. That isn't solely "age" related, it's definitely due to the injuries he sustained and work he had to have done to address them. And it doesn't mean Miller will undergo the same experience...if he stays healthy, he won't.

You can't use "age" as a defining factor in Kes' decline....his injury history very much is relevant in it all.

• Vintage 4

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Brock got Monohan 2.0 etched out pretty clear. If someone wants to sign him to a long term deal I think you cash out and cash out now. 

Same goes for Miller, he wasn't and isn't as injured as Kesler was, but Father Time never loses. Cash out and reap the benefits in 2 years, we already wasted 8 with that nitwit.

Tell this to our owner.  We have a core that I’m thinking our owner will not allow to be traded.  Demko, Petey, Hughes, Miller, Bo, Bess.  Then there’s the guys who contracts are so bad can’t be traded:  OEL, Myers, Dickinson, Poolman.  The two ELCs are safe.  That leaves Garland as the only guy with value.  He’s to guy on the move.

This will not be a rebuild, or a retool.  It will be a reset.  

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You can't do this though. Kesler's hip was very significant....he needed to have it resurfaced. It's well documented that he was numbing the pain and playing anyhow.

You can't use "age" as a defining factor in Kes' decline....his injury very much is relevant in it all.

Kessler relied a lot on his superior skating.  When that started to fall off, he was finished.  Miller isn’t a guy who relies on his skating.  He’s pretty much average at best.  It’s his size, skill, compete, and (most important) his smarts that make him special.  

We are re-signing him.  I think owner wants it, and has made that clear to management.  The money will be there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1