The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Depends on how/what you replace them with.

lets say we trade miller and pearson for their first and zacha. we then trade for Mikheyev for a second. and hopefully get rid of poolman and dickinson and sign a 4 million dollar RD

that could work.

mikheyev petterson garland

hoglander/slafkovsky horvat boeser

kuzmenko wright/zacha podkolzin

????  lammiko lockwood

maybe slafkovsky and wright dont make the team right away, but this could be something, maybe.

4 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

lets say we trade miller and pearson for their first and zacha. we then trade for Mikheyev for a second. and hopefully get rid of poolman and dickinson and sign a 4 million dollar RD

that could work.

????  lammiko lockwood

maybe slafkovsky and wright dont make the team right away, but this could be something, maybe.

And really, this isn't all going to get finished in one off season. The team won't be "complete".

But you move Miller to fill some of the other holes (RD, prospect depth etc) and start to get a handle on cap, you find a 3C, you try and find some "money-puck" guys, Kuzmenko etc to fill in around the main top 6 guys (Petey, Horvat, Boeser, Podkolzin) etc.

We may not have an "ideal" top 6 next season. There's probably a tweener or two that aren't long term solutions there/eventually get pushed down the lineup. But you have to start building towards the team you want, and these are the first steps.

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

that could work.

????  lammiko lockwood

Okay.  But why would we give up a second for Mikheyev when the LOSER LEAFS are going to let him walk?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay.  But why would we give up a second for Mikheyev when the LOSER LEAFS are going to let him walk?

because if we dont someone else will. maybe  nichushkin is an option but he likely gets overpaid, trade smurf?

As Allvin and Rutherford have now said, people should not get ahead of themselves when it comes to rumours about trading JT Miller.

Sure it is possible he gets traded.  And yes they will listen at the draft . But - if the right deal does not present itself,  it is very realistic that

he may be re-signed by Van anytime between this July and next June 30. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Thoughs on the Boeser singing in regards to JT Miller? Felt like one of them was going to be traded. Seems more even more likely Miller is traded now to me.

Yes I agree. I think it was one or the other. JR talked about needing to reshape the team and getting more speed and sandpaper into the lineup. So I find it hard to believe he is just going to re-sign both Miller and Boeser and just go with the same roster as last year. And we can’t really change the roster that much by just trading our junk. The only real assets we have now that are valuable to most teams are JT Miller and BO. 

I guess there is a small change that BO could get traded. But JR said he wanted to keep him around. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Thoughs on the Boeser singing in regards to JT Miller? Felt like one of them was going to be traded. Seems more even more likely Miller is traded now to me.

I've been thinking it'd be one, the other, or both going but I never thought they'd both stay. 

Everyone is so certain we’re trading Miller but I think there’s definitely a good chance we keep him.

I’m thinking they’re gauging the market for Pearson, Dickinson, Garland and Myers right now.

Even if you’re able to unload three of them that frees up as much as 14 million.

Take 4-5 mil for a Myers replacement. Kuzmenko hopefully replaces Garlands production. And Hoglander fills Pearsons spot.

That leaves 9-10 mil for a third line center and another top 9 winger. Would hopefully be able to acquire a younger third liner in a Garland or Pearson trade too.

• Cheers 2

I think based on the fact that JR and PA have said that there have been a lot of really good offers, just nothing that knocks their socks off just yet, means that by the draft I believe offers ramp up until there will be an offer they can’t refuse.

id give less then 50/50 chance Miller is still here past draft day. Much less actually. 

just my opinion I guess. But that’s my thoughts.

Edited by NorthWestNuck

3 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I think based on the fact that JR and PA have said that there have been a lot of really good offers, just nothing that knocks their socks off just yet, means that by the draft I believe offers ramp up until there will be an offer they can’t refuse.

id give less then 50/50 chance Miller is still here past draft day. Much less actually. 

just my opinion I guess. But that’s my thoughts.

I think we see Miller in training camp unless it is a no brainer offer. 

• Cheers 1

Ok, now with Rathbone signed I can see a trade with New York Rangers that involves Schneider.  Rathbone with his contract is now very attractive and him and Fox had chemistry back in Harvard.  I can see a Miller trade now that would involve Canucks moving Miller and Rathbone for Kakko Schneider and their first.  

• Thanks 1

Trading guys like Miller is just very hard to do in any case, there's so many moving parts. He's almost a rental at the moment and if he re-signs, a new team will have to cop a very big jump in cap hit to around 8-9M which of course a lot of contending teams aren't going to be able to do. I think that must be a big factor. Then JR is probably asking for a lot back which is totally fair.

If Fiala got a mid 1st and Faber (a former high 2nd but could argue has improved his value into a mid to late 1st) then surely Miller's value is 3 mid 1sts. Usually a player of his quality gets you a roster player (top 6 F or top 4 D), decent A or B grade prospect and a 1st or 2nd round pick.

For NYR that's Schneider, 1st and someone random like Korczak/Kravstov

I see a lot of teams turning that down because it's a big haul and they're likely not going to have cap space going forward unless they're a bottom feeder.