The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

At this point the most likely scenario seems to be... the management has penned us to make the playoffs (in a weak division) (so we are not sellers). We do make the playoffs, exit in round 1 or 2. Miller walks for a 7x8.5mil contract elsewhere. 

We have a winner!!!

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

At this point the most likely scenario seems to be... the management has penned us to make the playoffs (in a weak division) (so we are not sellers). We do make the playoffs, exit in round 1 or 2. Miller walks for a 7x8.5mil contract elsewhere. 

Or we sign him to that deal at 6 years and the rest of that scenario plays out.

The core learns what it takes to win in the playoffs and builds off that.

• Like 1

All of the trade proposal ideas for Miller over the last 6 months, dreaming of adding some good prospects, 1st round draft pick, good young players. 

Now it looks like JR/PA are prepared to take a swing at playoffs with Miller and then if he walks at the end of the season, oh well. Heck of a gamble. 

I don't think a Miller trade is going to happen. JR/PA are probably afraid how the team will do without him. 

I guess no playoffs and Miller walking after next season would be considered a disaster, huh?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

All of the trade proposal ideas for Miller over the last 6 months, dreaming of adding some good prospects, 1st round draft pick, good young players. 

Now it looks like JR/PA are prepared to take a swing at playoffs with Miller and then if he walks at the end of the season, oh well. Heck of a gamble. 

I don't think a Miller trade is going to happen. JR/PA are probably afraid how the team will do without him. 

I guess no playoffs and Miller walking after next season would be considered a disaster, huh?

That’s been problem with Canucks in last 7 years there okay with scraping by and losing in 1st round. If we don’t feel like we have deep  team to go deep aim for high picks prospects. That’s why I’d be okay with sucking without miller for prospects picks and assists in deepest draft in last 10 years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Unless we actually win a cup, Miller walking (playoffs or no playoffs) would be a disaster in asset management.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Stupid gamble to take.

Making the Playoffs and Miller walking would also be a disaster.

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Goalie Interference said:

Kids today ... Always with their minds on the  future, never on the here and now. 

I mean this core roster has missed the Playoffs two years in a row, they ain’t winning the cup here and now. So, yes we have to look to the future.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Eastern teams like NJ, NYI, NYR, Carolina, Philadelphia etc, all need to keep pace with the Panthers now.

There are still trade partners out there for us.

New Jersey has now struck out twice with Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

Im sure they’re tired of losing and are desperate to win a sweepstakes for once.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Honestly, regardless of where we are in the standings, if Miller hasn’t signed by the trade deadline, I’d trade him. If he hits UFA next summer, he’s gone. He’s too valuable to lose for nothing, even if it means a playoff run. Hope he signs but fully prepared to trade him if he doesn’t. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Eastern teams like NJ, NYI, NYR, Carolina, Philadelphia etc, all need to keep pace with the Panthers now.

There are still trade partners out there for us.

The trade sets them better up for the future but not necessarily this season.  Florida removed a top pairing D on top of Huberdeau and had already lost Marchment.  They also still need to clear cap. 

I have wondered whether Mgmt would accept something including a quasi-cap dump. Example:

CBJ: Gustav Nyquist, Ceulemans, 2023 1st(say top-10 protection)

Obviously the latter two pieces are what we'd want. But Nyquist is HALF the player JTM is, at a slightly higher cap hit. A piece we prob don't need at all.

Is it a situation where we wouldn't have accepted such an offer up to now, but might as the 22-23 season gets close?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I have wondered whether Mgmt would accept something including a quasi-cap dump. Example:

CBJ: Gustav Nyquist, Ceulemans, 2023 1st(say top-10 protection)

Obviously the latter two pieces are what we'd want. But Nyquist is HALF the player JTM is, at a slightly higher cap hit. A piece we prob don't need at all.

Is it a situation where we wouldn't have accepted such an offer up to now, but might as the 22-23 season gets close?

Likely...

• Cheers 1