The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't think JT Miller or his agent are putting any threats out there. 

I don't think there have been threats either,  at least not publicly,  but his agents message has been pretty clear for a while now:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jt-millers-agent-tweeting-show-me-the-money-might-be-a-bad-sign-5171857

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

From more recently (17 days ago):

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2387664

"Miller's camp said it's willing to continue negotiating throughout the year."

There's more to the story but I can't find it.....may have been an audio clip.  Essentially his agent said that they'd prefer to get a contract done before the season starts but they would of course continue to negotiate in good faith throughout the season.  He also said something to the fact that some people use the "no negotiating during the season" as a tactic but he felt that it just adds games to the process. All told, I don't think JT Miller or his agent are putting any threats out there.  I think they're just holding their line and would be willing to move to another team during free agency if he could get the right fit with the right contract.  

Who really knows though......the truth happens behind closed doors.

image.png.af3ce2f578975b7cb92ee693e9d553ba.png

loved = past tense

likes = not loves

obviously already gone ... :lol:

image.png.3fc59965b7b3636dac5d8adc99ebcee9.png

Translation = for insane amounts of franchise crippling money JT may consider it

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Is it wrong of me to hope Huberdeau totally flops in Cowtown, now that he’s got that money contract? And…that said contract totally sinks the Flames for many years to come?

I think any team that has multiple massive contracts on the books reaches a point where they become huge anchors.  Think Chicago paying Kane and Toews, Tampa Bay paying like 5 different guys, Toronto with their forwards, Florida with Bob, Barkov, and Tkachuck, or Colorado in the future.

That not to say that it isn't worth it. I'm not saying that Tampa Bay's players are anchors, or that MacKinnon will be an anchor, and these teams won the cup so it is what it is. Just saying at SOME point these teams will definitely run into trouble. 

Given Huberdeau’s new deal, I’ve had some time to reflect on the price point of a potential JT Miller contract extension.

Huberdeau was in the same contract position as Miller. They are both very good players that any team would love to have. Calgary did good. The hockey world seems good with this signing…..it solidifies their future.

Most fans here seem to still suffer PTSD over the LE contract. That’s not going to happen with Miller. He has too much heart and pride. Would he continue at 99 points in year 7 or 8 of the contract? No but he won’t crash and burn like some of you say he will. #keepmiller

I’ll be happy with 9 x 8 years.

I’ll be ok with 10 x 8 years 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Is it wrong of me to hope Huberdeau totally flops in Cowtown, now that he’s got that money contract? And…that said contract totally sinks the Flames for many years to come?

It isn't wrong to hope that, though the first part is highly unlikely.

However, for the last four or five years of that contract we can look forward to it being an albatross and laugh at Treliving agreeing to pay Huberdeau for the Flames at age 37 based on what he accomplished for the Panthers in a career year at age 28.  

I don't view Miller's agent's comments as a threat. It shows belief in his player that he'll maintain last year's play as well as just saying what we all know. The closer a UFA gets to free agency the more leverage he has as well as more appeal to hear more offers. The longer it takes to get an extension done the less likely it will get done. 

He also has less loyalties here than Hughes, Demko and Boeser have. We are his 3rd team. Which means he's more likely to try cash out. That's on top of the fact he likely way overplayed his average. He is more likely to never hit 90+ points again imo, especially going into his 30s. Which means this is likely his best and last chance to cash out. 75 point Miller is still good, but not 10mil good. 

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't view Miller's agent's comments as a threat. It shows belief in his player that he'll maintain last year's play as well as just saying what we all know. The closer a UFA gets to free agency the more leverage he has as well as more appeal to hear more offers. The longer it takes to get an extension done the less likely it will get done. 

He also has less loyalties here than Hughes, Demko and Boeser have. We are his 3rd team. Which means he's more likely to try cash out. That's on top of the fact he likely way overplayed his average. He is more likely to never hit 90+ points again imo, especially going into his 30s. Which means this is likely his best and last chance to cash out. 75 point Miller is still good, but not 10mil good. 

Isn’t that kind of a contradiction though?

If Miller goes into next season without a contract and only puts up 75 points, nobodies giving him anything close to 9 million.

He’ll never get more than he’ll get this offseason when he still has the illusion that he’s a 90+ point player.

Im glad management is calling their bluff. Miller and his agent both know it’s a huge risk to not get a contract done now. You always take guaranteed money over hoping to get money later, there’s too many variables.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t that kind of a contradiction though?

If Miller goes into next season without a contract and only puts up 75 points, nobodies giving him anything close to 9 million.

He’ll never get more than he’ll get this offseason when he still has the illusion that he’s a 90+ point player.

Im glad management is calling their bluff. Miller and his agent both know it’s a huge risk to not get a contract done now. You always take guaranteed money over hoping to get money later, there’s too many variables.

What I said in the second paragraph isn't what his agent believes Miller can do. Is what I am saying. His agent believes last season is the norm for Miller. I don't. Re-read the first paragraph.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

What I said in the second paragraph isn't what his agent believes Miller can do. Is what I am saying. His agent believes last season is the norm for Miller. I don't. Re-read the first paragraph.

Oh I read it, and I’m saying him and his agent are gonna say that but in reality they know that if he performs well below that 99 point mark that his contract offers will go way down.

That’s why betting on yourself is all well and good, but the risks in this scenario greatly outweigh the benefits of not not taking a contract now. His value will not go up, in all likelihood it will go down.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Oh I read it, and I’m saying him and his agent are gonna say that but in reality they know that if he performs well below that 99 point mark that his contract offers will go way down.

That’s why betting on yourself is all well and good, but the risks in this scenario greatly outweigh the benefits of not not taking a contract now. His value will not go up, in all likelihood it will go down.

yep. It is very risky for Miller to go in to the season without a deal. Much more risky than us losing a late 1st missing out on a TDL deal.

Calgary was desperate but we don't need to be. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep. It is very risky for Miller to go in to the season without a deal. Much more risky than us losing a late 1st missing out on a TDL deal.

Exactly.

I still see us getting at least a 1st and a prospect at the deadline if it comes to that.

I don’t see him getting an offer of more than 50 million at any point in the future.

The real question comes down to does he actually want to be here. If that’s a yes, they’ll get something done.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

I still see us getting at least a 1st and a prospect at the deadline if it comes to that.

I don’t see him getting an offer of more than 50 million at any point in the future.

The real question comes down to does he actually want to be here. If that’s a yes, they’ll get something done.

It seems like he's open to it. 

Miller is risking a lot if he gets injured and/or reduces his production. Even as a playoff rental, that too isn't ideal for him, we've seen players get injured that way as well. Maybe thats whats happening to Motte right now, he did get his bell rung so it might be shying GMs away from term on him. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, JM_ said:

It seems like he's open to it. 

Miller is risking a lot if he gets injured and/or reduces his production. Even as a playoff rental, that too isn't ideal for him, we've seen players get injured that way as well. Maybe thats whats happening to Motte right now, he did get his bell rung so it might be shying GMs away from term on him. 

That’s the thing.

Even if he thinks he can get the same deal we’re offering in the future any of sort of long term injury could completely derail that for him.

Lets say he just wants to go to a contender like Pittsburgh, New York, or Colorado. Are they really gonna offer him more than 8.5 on a 6 year deal? Can they even afford to?

Unless he just wants to go to the highest bidder, getting big term and money from a contender won’t be that easy. And if that is his desire than he’s not the player I thought he was.

The thing nowadays too is trade requests are so common that even if he decides a couple years into his contract he wants a move, we trade him. 

He’d be wise to take the guaranteed money now though. Too much risk it won’t be there in the future.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

There is also risk to the Canucks if they play hard ball and wait it out until the trade deadline.  The risk is that Miller is again a 100 point player, the Canucks are firmly in a playoff spot and Aquilini vetoes any Miller trade at the deadline.  Then Miller pulls a Gaudreau and walks away in the summer for nothing...

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Depends if you believe he actually wants to stay in Canada, which I dont

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is also risk to the Canucks if they play hard ball and wait it out until the trade deadline.  The risk is that Miller is again a 100 point player, the Canucks are firmly in a playoff spot and Aquilini vetoes any Miller trade at the deadline.  Then Miller pulls a Gaudreau and walks away in the summer for nothing...

this is how weird the discussions are getting around Miller. Now him having another 100 point season is a "problem" :picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2