The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

& how would we all feel today? I've seen regret expressed(this thread, or others?) that we didn't take that dirty Rags(TDL) deal. Imagine if they'd just won it all, or even made the finals with our star on his remarkable AAV? For diehards that recall the '94 sham, to me that's unthinkable.

How far back do we take these regrets, anyways? Does the fanbase REGRET the original deal whereby we landed Miller?! Bahhh, it gets pretty undignified, always rewriting the past. Wishing every transaction will build the perfect team.

We hired this(supposedly) stellar mgmt team. So now we simply have to exercise patience & allow them to do their job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/7/2022 at 4:00 PM, Pure961089 said:

Now having seen Allvin’s philosophy on difference makers it seems highly unlikely Miller gets his 8 years.   They’re too expensive 

What philsophy? We haven't seen anything so far. This team is still the same as before, minus two unproven (thus far) players. Miller still hasn't been traded, so we don't know at all if he'll re-sign him long term or not.

You're seeing stuff that just isn't there yet.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Clearly Benning had the worst of his many terrible off seasons after the bubble.  We should have extended Marky, Tanev and Tofu.  And traded Demko (for a lot) and Jake (for a mid round pick).  And then no need to waste picks and money on Schmidt (the cheater) and Holtby (the guy who we had to buy out).

This all adds up to not re-signing Miller to more than 45 mil over 6 years.  We cannot do any more stupid Benning moves that result in lesser players costing more money.  

Considering our window, we’re probably better off without Marky or even Toffoli.  (Draft picks spent or not acquired aside.)

Tanev stings and at the time he was the one I was most confident moving on from.  Then again Green / Baumer seemed to get the worst out of the back end - Schmidt is just another guy who bounced back when traded.  

26 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Hard to believe Chris went virtually injury free this past season. What a turnaround. Could just be a fluke I guess, but that's not where I'd put my money.  Wonder how he 

would've done with Boudreau?

not that hard to believe since he did the same thing the previous 2 seasons as well. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Calgary being desperate and throwing the bank at Huberdeau has thrown a wrench in our negotiations. 

Did it though? Miller's camp was always going to be asking in the $65m territory. Our management... isn't :lol: It's always been unlikely that we extend him. That hasn't changed from months ago when I said the exact same thing. It's EXTREMELY unlikely that there are extension terms that work for Miller, that also work for the Canucks in their current state. Ergo...

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Did it though? Miller's camp was always going to be asking in the $65m territory. Our management... isn't :lol: It's always been unlikely that we extend him. That hasn't changed from months ago when I said the exact same thing. It's EXTREMELY unlikely that there are extension terms that work for Miller, that also work for the Canucks in their current state. Ergo...

Huberdeau is an outlier to me when it comes to how much money he was given and at what age.  

Huberdeau: 30 years old, 84 million total 

Johnny G: 28 years old, 68 million total 

Filip Forsberg: 27 years old, 68 million total 

That contract reeks of desperation after being burned by Tkachuk and Johnny.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Huberdeau is an outlier to me when it comes to how much money he was given and at what age.  

Sure. But it hasn't changed the situation around Miller at all. He's still going to want +/- $65m, and it only makes sense for us to commit +/- $50m. Huberdeau's contract isn't really a factor. It hasn't changed anything. It's just as unlikely we extend him as it was 6 months ago.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Considering our window, we’re probably better off without Marky or even Toffoli.  (Draft picks spent or not acquired aside.)

Tanev stings and at the time he was the one I was most confident moving on from.  Then again Green / Baumer seemed to get the worst out of the back end - Schmidt is just another guy who bounced back when traded.  

I would've enjoyed having them on the team, but Marky was a no brainer.  Absolutely no way that we could've kept him as we would've lost Demko.  Also no way that we could've traded Marky, our team MVP that year.  

Not sure how I feel about Tofu at this present moment:  49 points last year...  2 years left at 4.25.  Doesn't look like a bargain at 30 years old and after the bloodbath that we just witnessed in the free agency this year, but as I said I really would've enjoyed having him on the team over the last two years.  

As far as Tanev, it's been a miracle that he's stayed relatively healthy but Calgary did essentially lose him in the playoffs this year.  He played hurt again Dallas and wasn't that effective, and he missed a lot of time/wasn't effective against Edmonton.  

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. But it hasn't changed the situation around Miller at all. He's still going to want +/- $65m, and it only makes sense for us to commit +/- $50m. Huberdeau's contract isn't really a factor. It hasn't changed anything. It's just as unlikely we extend him as it was 6 months ago.

I'd say it's less likely now then it was two weeks ago.  

One could could argue that you take Johnny G's and Forsberg's AAV (8.5 and 9.75) and try and meet JT somewhere down the middle but for 6 years so that their contracts all end at the same age. 

Huberdeau's monster contract makes absolutely no sense to me.  I can only imagine what will happen if he flops out the gate in Calgary.  

edit: so that their contracts all end at the same age. 

Edited by VancouverHabitant

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

not really for calgary their windows is likely closing in the next couple of years markstrom is 32 tanev is 32 in 3-4 years lindholm would be 31 32 mangiapane is 30+.. most their core players are at the end if not past their primes by then.. they'll be rebuilding shortly after so paying 10.5mil go huberdeau while rebuilding doesn't really hurt them that much.

• Cheers 1

I think JR and Allvin should tell Miller that if they can't reach a deal before the season starts  they will talk after the season is over.  Take a chance on the season.  We will be a good team with him onboard. He risks injury or a downturn in play. Those factors may get him to come to the table now if we close the window for negotiating at season start.

Selling him at the trade deadline is dumb unless we are out of the playoffs.  There is value in a playoff run for our young guys.  Don't kill it unnecessarily.

We can trade someone like Garland for a RD after the season.

Millers cap space can go to signing someone else if he doesn't sign with us for a reasonable deal.

The, we gotta get something for him, is not really a thing if it costs us the playoffs.  Huberdeau was part of the package for Tkachuck. The value of 29 year olds is not that high in a trade in today's NHL. Miller is not worth that much in a trade so don't play for the trade. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I think JR and Allvin should tell Miller that if they can't reach a deal before the season starts  they will talk after the season is over.  Take a chance on the season.  We will be a good team with him onboard. He risks injury or a downturn in play. Those factors may get him to come to the table now if we close the window for negotiating at season start.

Selling him at the trade deadline is dumb unless we are out of the playoffs.  There is value in a playoff run for our young guys.  Don't kill it unnecessarily.

We can trade someone like Garland for a RD after the season.

Millers cap space can go to signing someone else if he doesn't sign with us for a reasonable deal.

The, we gotta get something for him, is not really a thing if it costs us the playoffs.  Huberdeau was part of the package for Tkachuck. The value of 29 year olds is not that high in a trade in today's NHL. Miller is not worth that much in a trade so don't play for the trade. 

When have playing hard balling against players worked? Rfa ends up sitting out and teams always balk first. players usually are the ones that’ll refuse contract talks during the season. Any deals that work for Vancouver will be in the sub 8s and sub 6 years. Even if he have a down season back to 75-80 points.. he’ll prolly still be able to get a sub 8 6 years from any team. There’s really not much risk unless he have a career ending injury..

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, that’s what it sounds like to me as well. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, stawns said:

he is, but by the time the young guys come into their prime and, imo, moving into real contender status, he'll be relied on more as a leader than performance.  

That’s true. Bo’s a good player. I hope they get his contract done sooner rather than later. Some assurance on what will happen with Miller and Bo would be nice entering into the season. Can’t imagine they don’t get a contract with Horvat done before the start of the season?

I don't think the relationship between the Canucks and Miller will get as toxic as Gaudreau and the Flames. That was very poorly handled. If it looks like we're not going to re-sign him towards the end of next year for whatever reason then I think JR is smart enough to get Allvin to just lower his standards and we maybe just settle for a top-4 defenceman and a pick, knowing it's almost just a rental sell.

It may get tricky if we're in a similar situation to the Flames around TDL - Miller is our top line center helping us win games and if we trade him for whatever, we take a step back, and we're in a good playoff spot. If that's the case I'd be half tempted to just let him ride out the playoffs, give our young guys a good playoff push and experience and then let him walk, rather than trade him for a worse player at the TDL and then we suck and get swept in the playoffs.

Lots of possibilities but I do doubt he walks for nothing, I think more realistically is that Miller's production will drop off big time next year to around a point per game and we'll be able to re-sign him for something cheaper, say 5y x 7.5-8M.