The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

19 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If we just added a couple younger D we would be one of the youngest teams overall. I think we are 9th as it sits overall right now. 

Good reminder to the forever rebuilders out there, How much lower do we need to go?? Lol

but Rutherford said we were getting younger :frantic:

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

but Rutherford said we were getting younger :frantic:

So far most of these type of lists show the younger you are, on average the worse of a team you are. 

If we are a playoff team the last two years, Sign Miller without batting an eye. But that's not us. We are in the younger / meh team bracket still. For that reason I think he's on his way. We will find another " Miller " during our window 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Agreed. If we're going to move Miller, his value is highest at the TDL to a contender trying to win a stanley cup. Makes no sense to move a winger now. 

I disagree that it makes no sense to move Miller now............he might get a smidge more at the deadline (though I don't think so) but mot enough to mitigate the risk of something happening during the season that renders him not available at the deadline and he wlks for nothing.

If they can't extend him before the season starts, they need to move him as soon as they can.........that doesn't mean trade him for a bag of pucks, but it needs to be the top priority.  As far as his value is concerned, I think that for teams in need, it's pretty attractive to have JT Miller in their lineup for the full season........I thinkthere's plenty of GM's out there who would like to add a player of that calibre for under $3m and that makes him very valuable 

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Agreed. If we're going to move Miller, his value is highest at the TDL to a contender trying to win a stanley cup. Makes no sense to move a winger now. 

Easy to see in the offseason with the market flooded with free options, Why pay a premium. Along with everyone allowed to be 10% over the cap.. tons of options right now. Come mid season, The contenders and pretenders seperate.

Every single year teams pay a premium for premium talent once they know they have a team that's worth investing in. Yes lots of guys will be on the market this year, But as teams load up.. other get more desperate as they don't want to waste their own window.

How people claim Miller will have all time low value by than is mind boggling. Honestly some of the craziest stuff I read. Nothing, Absolutely zero suggest he's peaked. He's approaching/in the prime of his playing career... mixed with a contract year. He's going to go off for 100+ imo

Aka : chaaaachiiiingggggg $$$$ asset wise for us in theory. Worth the wait regardless as value just isn't worth it right now 

27 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

If we bring on a 12 year old winger, we'd rocket to #1 on that list immediately. 

Probably could sign one for league minimum too (12 year olds are not great negotiators). 

Get er done JR/PA!

I thought we got our 12yo in the Arizona deal? 

28 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I hate the idea of going into the season like that but the more I think about it, that return is the most important thing going on this year for us. There still a chance things shift when Kadri signs.  There’s a few teams who took a step back while watching competition get stronger.  

I was also talking about chatter around trying to sell on guys like Garland.  If nobody’s paying, I don’t see the point in forcing it.  Wingers aren’t signing for any cheaper - unless the money was earmarked for a clear upgrade the idea of “shedding cap” only to turn around and still have to spend that cap space at the usual rate seems silly. 

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I disagree that it makes no sense to move Miller now............he might get a smidge more at the deadline (though I don't think so) but mot enough to mitigate the risk of something happening during the season that renders him not available at the deadline and he wlks for nothing.

If they can't extend him before the season starts, they need to move him as soon as they can.........that doesn't mean trade him for a bag of pucks, but it needs to be the top priority.  As far as his value is concerned, I think that for teams in need, it's pretty attractive to have JT Miller in their lineup for the full season........I thinkthere's plenty of GM's out there who would like to add a player of that calibre for under $3m and that makes him very valuable 

market is completely different at TDL vs free agency/offseason

free agency/offseason -> abundance of available players to get for free (ufa) + teams are freshly reloaded with their new draftees (and teams are thinking prior year draftees may make the jump to the lineup). 

Reaaaally makes it difficult to justify paying for players, especially for a position where theres still top tier talent available in UFA (like Kadri). 

At the TDL its completely different. A handful of teams go into "all in" mode, where they'll pay any price for the cream of the crop at a particular position. Look at the haul Winnipeg got for Andrew Copp - what ended up being a 1st, a 2nd, a 5th, and a really good prospect who made the jump to the NHL this year (Barron). 

Teams are willing to pay a premium at the TDL... and JT will be among the most valuable rentals b/c of his contract. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

free agency/offseason -> abundance of available players to get for free (ufa) + teams are freshly reloaded with their new draftees (and teams are thinking prior year draftees may make the jump to the lineup). 

Reaaaally makes it difficult to justify paying for players, especially for a position where theres still top tier talent available in UFA (like Kadri). 

At the TDL its completely different. A handful of teams go into "all in" mode, where they'll pay any price for the cream of the crop at a particular position. Look at the haul Winnipeg got for Andrew Copp - what ended up being a 1st, a 2nd, a 5th, and a really good prospect who made the jump to the NHL this year (Barron). 

Teams are willing to pay a premium at the TDL... and JT will be among the most valuable rentals b/c of his contract. 

As long as we're committed to not letting him walk regardless of where we are in the standings.   Learn from how Calgary mishandled the midget.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

But wasn’t that the case last year at the TDL? We weren’t able to get a haul then. I’m wondering why that changes this coming TDL? 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

As long as we're committed to not letting him walk regardless of where we are in the standings.   Learn from how Calgary mishandled the midget.

I believe he prefers to be referred to as "fun sized"

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gaudreau? Yeah, Canucks management needs to get going here on Miller. Is no news good news in this case with JT? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

But wasn’t that the case last year at the TDL? We weren’t able to get a haul then. I’m wondering why that changes this coming TDL? 

I mean.. 1st + Chytil + Lundkvist + Kravtsov is pretty spot on value, and its what we got offered. Id consider that a decent "haul". Maybe a different bundle of prospects b/c we have an abundance of what lundkvist could bring. 

54 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

So far most of these type of lists show the younger you are, on average the worse of a team you are. 

If we are a playoff team the last two years, Sign Miller without batting an eye. But that's not us. We are in the younger / meh team bracket still. For that reason I think he's on his way. We will find another " Miller " during our window 

they don't mean much imo. I don't agree that we are in the "meh" category but thats OK. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

It won't. JT is not a premium asset. He can score 120 pts but his age and the perception of him being a winger makes him a distressed asset. The NHL collectively agreed this off season that pending UFA older wingers have close to 0 value.

We will be lucky to get a b prospect along with a late 1st from here on out. 

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I mean.. 1st + Chytil + Lundkvist + Kravtsov is pretty spot on value, and its what we got offered. Id consider that a decent "haul". Maybe a different bundle of prospects b/c we have an abundance of what lundkvist could bring. 

Honestly don't see that offer on the table anymore. The winger market collapsed this off season. 

At this point it is probably a 1st and Kravtsov. Even Lundkvist is probably a no go anymore. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Freidmsn Tweeted a couple weeks before the 2022 TDL that we had taken Miller off the market.  IMO our owner got involved and didn’t want to trade JT considering how well the team was doing and the potential of a full arena.  The timing was really bad at that 2022 TDL.  I’m just hoping we don’t have similar circumstances this coming TDL, because I don’t see us trading Miller at that point. 

• Cheers 1