The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

I just don’t see many teams willing to pay big bucks for a 30 year old looking for a huge long term payday.   
Necas and Morrow isn’t half as crazy as most I’ve seen on here, but IMO, I just don’t see it happening.  
Im going to guess a 1st and an ok prospect is the best we get.   
Actually, my guess would be we resign him to a deal that hurts us big time in 3-4 years.  

Just look at the Giroux deal which is equivalent to 2 1sts and a 3rd. Miller should at least fetch that. If we cant get a deal after 2 TDL + 1 offseason, it is because we were dragging our feet and indecisiveness, which people were jumping all over me for saying that. 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Just look at the Giroux deal which is equivalent to 2 1sts and a 3rd. Miller should at least fetch that. If we cant get a deal after 2 TDL + 1 offseason, it is because we were dragging our feet and indecisiveness, which people were jumping all over me for saying that. 

Indecisiveness for what? Not knowing what to do with Miller? You got a guy as President who is one of the most experienced in the league not knowing what to do with a prime asset? I mean, I can see how Allvin might be indecisive given his inexperience as GM. But still, the best thing to do with Miller is to trade him and get assets in return to help in the immediate to long term future. It’s about playing the long game. Something GM’s here don’t seem to understand to do very well. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I just don’t see many teams willing to pay big bucks for a 30 year old looking for a huge long term payday.   
Necas and Morrow isn’t half as crazy as most I’ve seen on here, but IMO, I just don’t see it happening.  
Im going to guess a 1st and an ok prospect is the best we get.   
Actually, my guess would be we resign him to a deal that hurts us big time in 3-4 years.  

I’m not so sure. If the team was going to resign him to a deal that would hurt us 3-4 years down the road, you’d think that deal would have been made already. It would have been in Miller’s favor to sign a deal like that. Certainly not management’s favor. I still think we can get a decent haul for Miller. He is a good player, so other GM’s at the very least would have conversations or discussions on a “fair” deal. In other words, a hockey trade. 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Indecisiveness for what? Not knowing what to do with Miller? You got a guy as President who is one of the most experienced in the league not knowing what to do with a prime asset? I mean, I can see how Allvin might be indecisive given his inexperience as GM. But still, the best thing to do with Miller is to trade him and get assets in return to help in the immediate to long term future. It’s about playing the long game. Something GM’s here don’t seem to understand to do very well. 

wow.. still have to spell it out for some to understand... lol. 

So we had 21/22 trade deadline, we had a horrible season. 90% we won't make the playoffs. What does the management do? Instead of unloading like the Ducks or Philly a veteran for a nice haul, we cling on the hope that we can pull a miracle and make the playoffs. So we sat on Miller. 

Then came offseason, 2 months ago. Watched as Fiala gets moved, Debrincat gets moved. And then Friedmen reports on 12/JUL, Canucks have started to let potential teams talk to Miller's agent for extension. July 12, that is 5 days after the freaking draft where all the trades happen. 

It could be the owner. No one knows, but it's still failure. 

5 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

wow.. still have to spell it out for some to understand... lol. 

So we had 21/22 trade deadline, we had a horrible season. 90% we won't make the playoffs. What does the management do? Instead of unloading like the Ducks or Philly a veteran for a nice haul, we cling on the hope that we can pull a miracle and make the playoffs. So we sat on Miller. 

Then came offseason, 2 months ago. Watched as Fiala gets moved, Debrincat gets moved. And then Friedmen reports on 12/JUL, Canucks have started to let potential teams talk to Miller's agent for extension. July 12, that is 5 days after the freaking draft where all the trades happen. 

It could be the owner. No one knows, but it's still failure. 

I don’t think it’s a failure….yet. If Miller walks at the end of the season, I think that’s the worse case scenario, and I would classify that as a failure. And even if Miller’s dealt, you really have to see what the return is to see if that’s a failure. But management not dealing him yet isn’t, in my opinion, a failure. I’m not surprised that they decided to keep Miller to try to make the postseason. It’s what every management group should be doing, and yeah, it’s what the owner of every NHL club would want. 

I understand fans wanting Miller to be dealt. I for the most part agree that he should be traded and a nice package coming back. With that being said, maybe the offers from other teams just aren’t very good. If it’s not very good at the moment, then you don’t trade a 99 point guy. That’s essentially giving the player away for free. Not a great look on management. We still have the month of August to go, so there’s a little bit of time to see what management does. 

28 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I agree also as there are teams still needing a player like Miller.One is sure to make a good offer for him.If not Tdl he will be worth more if his numbers are the same this year.

I thought maybe a team that wants Miller would want him on their team for the whole season. Makes sense to me for another team to do that.

I also think Kadri domino needs to fall, and all these RFA’s need to be dealt with before Miller’s traded. 

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

something interesting to note. Apparently NYI have checked in to Klingberg..... they could potentially trade Dobson for Miller and then sign Klingberg to replace Dobson. 

Downgrade on D a bit to upgrade your scoring. it would make sense

This is yet another juvenile tactic by Lamoriello.  Make fake inquiries into players you have zero interest in to encourage other GM's to make moves.  He's so petty and such a dinosaur that the more irrelevant he becomes in the modern era the more desperate his actions are.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

This is yet another juvenile tactic by Lamoriello.  Make fake inquiries into players you have zero interest in to encourage other GM's to make moves.  He's so petty and such a dinosaur that the more irrelevant he becomes in the modern era the more desperate his actions are.

or, he's smart enough to find ways to create an advantage for himself that others don't think of. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

or, he's smart enough to find ways to create an advantage for himself that others don't think of. 

none of his shtick has produced anything while with TO or NYI. Just makes him flaky to deal with imo. 

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

something interesting to note. Apparently NYI have checked in to Klingberg..... they could potentially trade Dobson for Miller and then sign Klingberg to replace Dobson. 

Downgrade on D a bit to upgrade your scoring. it would make sense

Step 1: Trade your best defenseman, who is just 22 years old and had a breakout season showing future #1 potential for one year of JT Miller.

Step 2: Replace Dobson with a soon to be 30 year old who is trending towards a #4-5 defenceman that you will have to over pay.

Step 3: Watch JT Miller decide he wants to walk away and test free agency. 

Step 4: Move forward with just John Klingberg and no Noah Dobson or JT Miller

Step 5: Get fired

OR

Step 1: Re-sign your best defenseman

Step 2: Sign Kadri instread of giving up assets for Miller. 

Sounds like an easy decision to me. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Why say this publicly? Doesn't this diminish his trade value?

I think the goal is to try to bring Millers agent down off the idea of a massive contract. All of the big contract extension expectations are part of whats lowering his trade value, this isn't news to any GM.

Same problem with Klingberg, big expectations with little interest. 

Man if Miller swaps agents that should spawn at least another 500 pages on its own. 

• Cheers 2