The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, JM_ said:

which so far haven't moved the needle for JR/PA. And thats also a risk, what if those assets don't work out? whats the timeline? lots of questions on that path too. 

thats a high bar considering 31 teams don't do that every year. 

Every team isn't in our position, we ain't contenders, we ain't in a position to lose top assets for nothing. Yeah, our roster might be a bit deeper but it still has holes and our prospect pool is still weak as fuck.

Keeping him is a risk, trading him is a risk. But at least by trading him you give yourself assets to build potentially build a deeper team long term. I say we're four years out, I've little faith in Miller's ability to live up to an expensive long term deal.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Hughes had a remarkable year but I'd still call Demko our MVP, if not for him we'd have never gone on that run and we'd have been in a much deeper hole after the first few months 

Folks look at our record after December and spout off about winning percentage but the reality is we had the same slow starts we did under Green and our defensive play continued to be sloppy, Demko covered a lot of warts for this club

Sometimes it'd take us a period of two to get going and he'd be the only reason we were still in it 

Wasn’t our record like 2-17 or something crazy like that when Miller never got a point?

And I think Spencer Martin won all 3 games he played in regulation while standing on his head with a .950 save %. So I think Miller was our MVP last year. We couldn’t really win any games unless he scored. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if they make the playoffs it does. 

1. What are the odds for making the playoffs with the same D-Corps and Dickinson as 3C?

2. Do Canucks even have the necessary cap space short and long term to re-sign JT Miller?

3. Isn't JT Miller Canucks best trade chip to fix the right side on Defense?

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

What I’m saying is that they would have unloaded another player whom they would have thought as being expendable 

I think Tampa wanted a first rounder that was expected to be a high pick, so when Benning offered our first (which was an overpay) for Miller TBay knew they could use that pick to bring in the guy from Jersey, who better fit their lineup - and who was getting paid way less than Miller.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wasn’t our record like 2-17 or something crazy like that when Miller never got a point?

And I think Spencer Martin won all 3 games he played in regulation while standing on his head with a .950 save %. So I think Miller was our MVP last year. We couldn’t really win any games unless he scored. 

Agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Age matters.

Miller will be at least a year older than most of those players that signed those deals. That factors in too.

Miller is not gonna have another 99 point season. We know it, him and his agent know it, and most importantly management knows it. That’s why they’re not gonna pay him like an elite forward. 

He only gets that 9 million dollar offer if he follows up this season with another 90+ point season. For every 10 points less than that his offers are going way down. That’s the risk that he takes going into the season without a contract. And that’s without even factoring in a major injury.

If it’s down to a 500k gap in his contract ask he’d be wise to take the offer. That 50 million could start to disappear pretty quick if next season doesn’t go the way he planned.

Why are we so sure? He scored 99 points in a season where both Boeser and Pettersson were injured or mentally drained the entire time. 

a fresh Pettersson and Boeser next year could easily see Miller rack up 90-100 points.

add to the fact that we increased our forward depth, and the quality of wingers he has available to him got better… he has a solid 3 year window of his prime imo 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what gives you confidence, if we are in the playoff mix come the 2023 TDL, that our owner will allow a Miller Trade?  No step back, right?  

Miller isn’t getting traded if we are in the playoffs. We need to trade him prior to the season starting or we will lose him for nothing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thank you.

Haters. Read this.

• Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t a 34 year old Claude Giroux get traded for a 1st, a 3rd and a prospect (former top 10 pick) at last year’s deadline?

Not sure why some would think we are only getting a late 1st for Miller. 

Yeah, the "well we may as well keep him, if that's all we're getting then" narrative is...

iSp.gif

Are we going to get Schneider, Kakko, 2 firsts and a kitchen sink? No, probably not. But we're going to get a player, prospect, and pick... +/-. Let's not try to build up some silly narrative those all can't be useful pieces and that there isn't value there.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Every team isn't in our position, we ain't contenders, we ain't in a position to lose top assets for nothing. Yeah, our roster might be a bit deeper but it still has holes and our prospect pool is still weak as fuck.

Keeping him is a risk, trading him is a risk. But at least by trading him you give yourself assets to build potentially build a deeper team long term. I say we're four years out, I've little faith in Miller's ability to live up to an expensive long term deal.

maybe you get assets. Thats the part I think the trade Miller folks keep glossing over, that path is far from guaranteed.

If you really want that contender guarantee we need to go full tank for multiple elite players. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

whats your plan to replace Miller if not a trade?

He has none. No pick or returned prospect in this market will get anything near a Miller level. There are only about 10-15 players better than Miller in the NHL and don’t count on one of those guys coming back here either.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Why would I plan to replace Miller with a free agent, when I can trade Miller for a player/s/prospects/picks to replace Miller?

and as we go full circle yet again, what if you can't get a roster player back?

Just now, JM_ said:

maybe you get assets. Thats the part I think the trade Miller folks keep glossing over, that path is far from guaranteed.

If you really want that contender guarantee we need to go full tank for multiple elite players. 

I'd rather than than spin our wheels in mediocrity. Who's coming up as the next wave? Pettersson will be 24 in November. Young guns won't stay young, Horvat and Boeser are inching towards 30 themselves.

We've precious little on the way as it stands. 

• Like 1