The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Money towards centers is better money than money towards wingers though. Good centers are much harder to find.

Obviously if Millers camp is still pushing for 9+ million then it won’t work. But if we can get him signed for something more reasonable like 8-8.5 on a longer deal (6-7 years) then it’s a good thing IMO.

A deal for a defenseman could come from trading some winger depth too. Trading Garland and Pearson for example frees up around 7 million. Enough to fit in another legit top 4 while keeping our center depth. That gives us a stronger roster IMO.

A successful Hughes - OEL pairing changes the whole make up of the roster.  We played with 2 lefties as our top pair in 2011 and it's the best our team has ever looked.  I always thought Erhoff was a righty but he's a lefty.

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd agree but I don't see Seattle moving Larsson out. They're already got an interesting forward group and I reckon they'll just see how season #2 goes. Eberle, Burakovsky, Schwartz, Bjorkstrand, Gourde, McCann, Wright, and Beniers gives them plenty of guys who should be playing in their top 6 already. Then they've a guy like Tanev who might be able to play a compliementary role. 

If they can get better team play out of their forward group, their D can keep their heads above water, and Grubauer bounces back I could see them giving teams more trouble this year than some folks might expect. If anything they probably look for an upgrade on D next offseason.

Seatle should sign Motte

28 minutes ago, SKCanuck28 said:

Can't remember who was interviewed on S&P but they said after training camp the next pressure point before the deadline is American Thanksgiving.  This makes sense as usually the teams in the top 8 if the conference are the teams in the playoffs.

Though I'd like to see Miller moved before training camp, we may just have to wait a bit longer for PA to pull the trigger.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Like someone else mentioned the NHLPA got completely hosed last time but yeah you're right they would rail against it. There has to be some reason is flies in the NFL though. 

It 'flies' in the NFL because their system comes from an arrangement where you had the wealthiest,  most powerful old white boys club on the planet exerting their influence over a group of workers made up in no small part of the poorest black families in America.   That old boys club is/was never going to give a fair deal to their 'employees', never.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

It makes to much sense for some to accept. 

For a good GM like Treliving too apparently.

The reality is it’s not that black and white. And there are lots of examples of forwards who perform very well into their mid 30’s.

If the numbers make sense we re-sign him, if they don’t then we trade him. That’s all there is to it. You don’t trade a 29 year old who just had a career year because you’re afraid he might not play well 5 years from now. 

Edited by DeNiro

9 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Seatle should sign Motte

They've got just over 1M in cap space, unless he takes a haircut on his deal I dunno if they could. Of these deals with a decent amount of space left I could see Motte landing with one of the following: Anaheim, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, or Calgary. Could see him being a great fit in Anaheim, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Ottawa, or Calgary. Buffalo could absolutely use him if the plan is to try and bleed fewer goals, they've got a whack of cap space too. Winnipeg, Calgary, Nashville, and Dallas are teams that likely try and go deep. Ottawa should be trending up soon. Anaheim has Cali lifestyle to offer, and he's from Michigan so Detroit can't be ruled out. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For a good GM like Treliving too apparently.

The reality is it’s not that black and white. And there are lots of examples of forwards who perform very well into their mid 30’s.

If the numbers make sense we re-sign him, if they don’t then we trade him. That’s all there is to it. You don’t trade a 29 year old who just had a career year because you’re afraid he might not play well 5 years from now. 

We are not comparable to Calgary in terms of being a contender atm.

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, SKCanuck28 said:

"The question is: in 2024-2025, when the Canucks want to contend for a cup, will they be better off with 33-year-old J.T. Miller on an $8 million contract, or will they be better off with the assets a Miller trade would return, plus $8 million in cap space"?

I think it's rebuild now or trust the retool.  By 2024/2025 the Canucks will be chasing Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, (maybe Detroit, Buffalo) rebuilt teams.  Horvat, Miller and OEL are the veterans for our young core, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko.  Canucks should go for it now and if it doesn't work do a tear it down rebuild in 2025/2026.    

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

We are not comparable to Calgary in terms of being a contender atm.

sure we are. Our F group on paper is as good as theirs. Goalie too. We're lacking two top 4 d but Rathbone might end up being one of them. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, SKCanuck28 said:

The only positive in this plan as opposed to now is that Hughes and Petterson will be closer to their prime years. The rest get a bit older or we don't even know they will be here by then. The article says we aren't ready now but in 2 years we will be. The problem is that there is no argument as to WHY this is to occur.

I am thinking by that time, this team will look completely different and only a few players will remain from this roster. 

My biggest concern is some of these players are ready NOW, such as Demko and Hughes and we are going to waste away valuable time with them because we already have the mind set that we are not ready to compete for the Cup. Luckily we didn't tell that to Bure or Linden when they were very young and made it to the finals.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sure we are. Our F group on paper is as good as theirs. Goalie too. We're lacking two top 4 d but Rathbone might end up being one of them. 

I agree. 

Although Calgary's D is very deep, two of their right side D won't be happy with limited minutes or will have to play leftside, plus will be playing a lot of defence, their forward group isn't fast or creative or intimidating enough.  Markstrom looked average at best in the playoffs.  

• Cheers 2