The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

40 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

This is very very unlikely (pretty much impossible) and im just spitballing, I'd consider Miller 50% retained + garland + motte for Laf, Schenider, Kravstov and a 1st. 

Miller for Laf 1 for 1 (I would do that) 

Garland + 50% retained miller for Schenider + 1st 

Motte for Kravstov. 

Actually now that I break it down a bit more, yea this is impossible lol. Favors us too much oof. We'd prob need to add a 3rd 

And then theres salary cap with the rangers. need to take cap dump 

Your proposals are very realistic. I feel many here have Miller worth more than he is. It's not so much a sliding scale of worth, but what the market will pay. Blue chip young prospects are worth a lot. Same with firsts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I wonder if a deal with NYR is contingent on Miller agreeing to an extension with them prior to/at time of trade. 
I think that would be an absolute condition if Schneider is included in any discussion leading up.

Question then is what is the cost/salary bump impact to their cap situation next season. For Miler to extend will likely be asking top dollars on a 6 year deal.

Regardless, still believe NYR is best trading partner, atm. 

Can he even sign an extension this early? He has 1.5 yrs left. 

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Can he even sign an extension this early? He has 1.5 yrs left. 

Right, good point! Perhaps that’s not even a tangible part of the convo. If I remember correctly now, have to wait until final year? Anybody know? Apologies 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Actually never though of it like that... spot on... 

Or he could get an injury and it would all be for nothing...

Which is why I highly doubt this carries on past the summer. We either get what he's worth this TDL. Or if teams are only offering what management feels are draft/summer values... We keep him until the draft/summer and sell him for the same value then. Can't afford it being a circus around the team all next season, risk of him losing trade value in season (injury, bad play etc) or pulling the rug out from a team competing for a playoff spot.

It's pretty much all down side/risk to wait past the summer.

47 minutes ago, rekker said:

Your proposals are very realistic. I feel many here have Miller worth more than he is. It's not so much a sliding scale of worth, but what the market will pay. Blue chip young prospects are worth a lot. Same with firsts. 

Late firsts are not worth as much however. Can't remember the exact breaks but something like picks 22-44 have about the same chances of getting an NHL player of consequence. A late first is closer to the same value of an early 2nd. You've got (depending on draft obviously) top 3, top 5 ish, top 10'ish, 15'ish and then 15-22'ish... Then that late 1st/early 2nd range. All have their own, relative values.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Right, good point! Perhaps that’s not even a tangible part of the convo. If I remember correctly now, have to wait until final year? Anybody know? Apologies 

Teams and agents can discuss whatever they want, whenever they want. He can't actually sign anything until that last year though.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

The bolded part is why his value will be high, it's an arms race and we have the biggest bomb. Miller could literally be the reason one team eliminates another. But what if another shoe drops first? IE Giroux? That makes the other teams desperate to keep up or even leap past.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Which is why I highly doubt this carries on past the summer. We either get what he's worth this TDL. Or if teams are only offering what management feels are draft/summer values... We keep him until the draft/summer and sell him for the same value then. Can't afford it being a circus around the team all next season, risk of him losing trade value in season (injury, bad play etc) or pulling the rug out from a team competing for a playoff spot.

It's pretty much all down side/risk to wait past the summer.

Late firsts are not worth as much however. Can't remember the exact breaks but something like picks 22-44 have about the same chances of getting an NHL player of consequence. A late first is closer to the same value of an early 2nd. You've got (depending on draft obviously) top 3, top 5 ish, top 10'ish, 15'ish and then 15-22'ish... Then that late 1st/early 2nd range. All have their own, relative values.

TSN used to do yearly updates on the value of picks and likelihood of them panning out.  I believe anything beyond about pick 20 had less than a 33% chance of playing 100 games in the league... and that only dropped to about 25% by the end of the 2nd round so a pick in the 20's isn't drastically different than a pick in the 50's.

If we get a really late 1st round pick, we are probably better off using it as currency to fill a hole in the lineup next season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

TSN used to do yearly updates on the value of picks and likelihood of them panning out.  I believe anything beyond about pick 20 had less than a 33% chance of playing 100 games in the league... and that only dropped to about 25% by the end of the 2nd round so a pick in the 20's isn't drastically different than a pick in the 50's.

If we get a really late 1st round pick, we are probably better off using it as currency to fill a hole in the lineup next season.

Or trading up, with our first, to draft Jiricek ::D

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

The bolded part is why his value will be high, it's an arms race and we have the biggest bomb. Miller could literally be the reason one team eliminates another. But what if another shoe drops first? IE Giroux? That makes the other teams desperate to keep up or even leap past.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Best case scenario one of the top teams makes a big move early and the rest panic to keep pace.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Lots of credible RD from the 20-40 range including a big 6'7'' boy.

Sure. And I won't lose sleep if we grab one of those guys with a Miller-supplied later first. But they're ranked where they're ranked, and he's ranked where he's ranked, for reasons ;)

If we came out of this summer with adding Schneider and Jiricek...

Mission-accomplished-25281-2529.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sure. And I won't lose sleep if we grab one of those guys with a Miller-supplied later first. But they're ranked where they're ranked, and he's ranked where he's ranked, for reasons ;)

If we came out of this summer with adding Schneider and Jiricek...

Mission-accomplished-25281-2529.jpg

I will sacrifice my hockey sticks to the gods if we win any lotto pick the next two years. Even settle for 3rd this year for Nemec. He's really stepped up and is described as a Josi-type.

But yeah any two of Schneider Nemec/Jiricek would set us up for the decade. Myers would be the perfect veteran stop gap too, handling the tough minutes and expiring as these young guys cement themselves.

• Vintage 2

9 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

This is very very unlikely (pretty much impossible) and im just spitballing, I'd consider Miller 50% retained + garland + motte for Laf, Schenider, Kravstov and a 1st. 

Miller for Laf 1 for 1 (I would do that) 

Garland + 50% retained miller for Schenider + 1st 

Motte for Kravstov. 

Actually now that I break it down a bit more, yea this is impossible lol. Favors us too much oof. We'd prob need to add a 3rd 

And then theres salary cap with the rangers. need to take cap dump 

Where are you getting that NYR are interested in Garland?  Feels surprising given owner Dolan's complaints that they weren't built for the post-season when he fired Gorton/Davidson.  They are also extremely tight to the cap and likely wouldn't even have the cap space to retain him next season.