The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

It's very tough to acquire Top 4 D, expensive, especially the RDs. This might be the time to really upgrade the D with a good young(ish) player.

As KyGuy said, they should be built from the net out. I completely agree. The Canucks have a world class goalie entering his prime, they have Hughes who is on another level of puck moving D. OEL and Myers are pretty decent, and who knows with Hamonic. I love Schenn, but he's not a Top 4 Dman.

JR said they would like to be a contender in 2 years, a consistent playoff team. So, I think bringing in a proven young Dman could help them now and for years to come.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - ??

- Braden Schneider+

- Nils Lundkvist++ 

- Brandon Carlo+

- Brett Pesce+

- John Marino+

- Brandon Montour+

- Mikael Sergachev straight up

- Jake Bean++

Edited by NUCKER67

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Thing is, I don’t think Drury does that deal. 

Seems and sounds like it’s very difficult to pry Schneider away from them. If he’s not included, then I say, nice talking to you, good bye. 

The crazy thing is.  Trouba and Fox are on that RHD slot and they're going NOWHERE with these cap hits.  So how the hell do the rags think that they'll be able to retain K Miller, Lindgren AND Schneider let alone give Schneider playing time to justify keeping him so sheltered for the next 4+ seasons?

Like....I get the idea of hoping you can throw dead assets like Chytil, Lundkvist, Kravtsov and a 2nd away for premium pieces and STILL retain your prime assets on the roster and in the system for future trades but come on.

1808217434_ScreenShot2022-02-15at12_17_53PM.thumb.png.3cab43c24f7b54bc61739ce62adcddb4.png

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

but would you do Kakko and Ludkvist

I wouldn't. Not without a pick involved. Miller is our best player, and a top dog in the entire league. He's our meal ticket to a proper retool that we desperately need. I don't think that's a bad deal, but I don't want not a bad deal. I want an overpayment.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's very tough to acquire Top 4 D, expensive, especially the RDs. This might be the time to really upgrade the D with a good young(ish) player.

As KyGuy said, they should be built from the net out. I completely agree. The Canucks have a world class goalie entering his prime, they have Hughes who is on another level of puck moving D. OEL and Myers are pretty decent, and who knows with Hamonic. I love Schenn, but he's not a Top 4 Dman.

JR said they would like to be a contender in 2 years, a consistent playoff team. So, I think bringing in a proven young Dman could help them now and for years to come.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - ??

- Braden Schneider+

- Nils Lundkvist++ 

- Brandon Carlo+

- Brett Pesce+

- John Marino+

- Brandon Montour+

- Mikael Sergachev straight up

- Jake Bean++

Mikael Sergachev straight up

yes please.

20 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I wouldn't. Not without a pick involved. Miller is our best player, and a top dog in the entire league. He's our meal ticket to a proper retool that we desperately need. I don't think that's a bad deal, but I don't want not a bad deal. I want an overpayment.

So maybe the way to go about this trade is accepting that the Rags won't trade Schneider.  Trade for Kaako +

Cuylle or Othmann + Chytil and then package one of them in a trade to acquire another great young RD.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t really hear of any other teams bidding for Miller. 

Right now, it seems it’s just the Rangers…am I wrong?

Miller is the best “available” commodity right now so I’m sure all the contending teams are interested. The only other is Giroux and, in my opinion, Miller is a level up on him, especially with his contract. 

I’ll keep repeating this. I would rather keep him and try to extend him in the summer. I believe in these guys and I think they will make the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Miller is the best “available” commodity right now so I’m sure all the contending teams are interested. The only other is Giroux and, in my opinion, Miller is a level up on him, especially with his contract. 

I’ll keep repeating this. I would rather keep him and try to extend him in the summer. I believe in these guys and I think they will make the playoffs. 

there's still over a month until the deadline too, it's a late one this year.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

So maybe the way to go about this trade is accepting that the Rags won't trade Schneider.  Trade for Kaako +

Cuylle or Othmann + Chytil and then package one of them in a trade to acquire another great young RD.

I'd have time for something like that if Lundkvist is involved. Kaako/Lundkvist/Othmann would get my motor running. This team is weak on the RD and LW, this helps a ton.

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yeah, the last thing we want to do is be in a hurry to trade Miller. If we keep him, I think we could make the playoffs as well.
Unless someone overpays, like the Rangers with Lafreniere +, we should keep Miller. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’d rather keep Miller as well, if he wants to resign and stay here as a Canuck. But it has to make sense for the club. However with that being said, if we can get what we want in a deal involving another team, and it makes sense, then we need to deal Miller especially this season, because that’s when his value is most likely at its maximum. 

I have a hard time believing that Miller’s going to sign for less than 8M. If that’s the case, someone else is on the way out. The only way I see keeping this current core, is if some of them start taking less to stay and give management some money to play around to add some valuable pieces moving forward to make the team as competitive as it can be to challenge for the Cup, not just make the postseason. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Nave said:

Yeah, the last thing we want to do is be in a hurry to trade Miller. If we keep him, I think we could make the playoffs as well.
Unless someone overpays, like the Rangers with Lafreniere +, we should keep Miller. 

When can Miller sign an extension? Is it this summer? 

12 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'd have time for something like that if Lundkvist is involved. Kaako/Lundkvist/Othmann would get my motor running. This team is weak on the RD and LW, this helps a ton.

Not feeling enthusiastic about Lundkvist; he's too small for a defence that includes Rathbone and Hughes.  I think

the gm, armed with a really good FW prospect + whatever, can find a young RD with the appropriate physic to be

Quinn's d partner.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not feeling enthusiastic about Lundkvist; he's too small for a defence that includes Rathbone and Hughes.  I think

the gm, armed with a really good FW prospect + whatever, can find a young RD with the appropriate physic to be

Quinn's d partner.

See what you're saying, I don't think Lundkvist fits our teams need either, but RD is the hardest position in the league to find outside of maybe a C. Might have a better chance doing a hockey trade of RD prospect for RD prospect that fits the teams need better. I'm sure lots of teams could use a blue chip (or at least close to blue chip) RD puck moving prospect.

And then who knows, maybe he develops into a way that he does fit the team and we get what we need. Just feels like a D prospect must be one of thing returns for Miller to me.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Thing is, I don’t think Drury does that deal. 

Seems and sounds like it’s very difficult to pry Schneider away from them. If he’s not included, then I say, nice talking to you, good bye. 

NYR do have lots of prospects under 24 years old...We really need the young RD man with some size and skill..

So Schneider 20, 6'2  205, RD is are most needed player..The other players in deal with Ranger are more flexible ..

Chytil 23, 6'3, 215 -3rd line centre-- Barron 22, 6'4, 220, C/W-- 1st rounder....

2nd deal-- Schneider 20 ,6'2 RD ----Kravtsov 22, 6'3, 195 - LW --- 2nd rounder 2022--- 4th rounder 2023

NYR -- Miller 28 -6'1, 215 - C//W --- Motte 26 --W----- Highmore 24 - W

Lol give it up with the Miller re-signing.. the only way he's re-signing in vancouver is we offer him north of 8.5mil on a 8 year deal.. I hope the management have 0 interest in signing him till he's 37. There's no reason for him willing to take years off that contract and sign a 4-5 years unless we paying him 10. its his last chance at payday. Zib Backstrom Seguin all making 8.5+ he has 0 reason to not ask for that as a starting point nor reasons to give vancouver any discount on signing. There will be teams lined up to offer him the 8.5+ on a 7 year contract if he makes it to ufa. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

I agree, but his contact is 6 million and he is overpaid still. If you could put 4 million into a top 4 Dman and 2 million into a bottom pairing Dman that would help out overall depth. 

Myers plays big minutes every night against other teams top players..Sure he can make mistakes but he should get more credit....

Would be a big hole in the lineup if Myers is injured... 

Myers is Ct -- B player this season..

His salary is high but the summer when he was a UFA teams were lined up... 5 million would of been a good deal but its 6 million ..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol give it up with the Miller re-signing.. the only way he's re-signing in vancouver is we offer him north of 8.5mil on a 8 year deal.. I hope the management have 0 interest in signing him till he's 37. There's no reason for him willing to take years off that contract and sign a 4-5 years unless we paying him 10. its his last chance at payday. Zib Backstrom Seguin all making 8.5+ he has 0 reason to not ask for that as a starting point nor reasons to give vancouver any discount on signing. There will be teams lined up to offer him the 8.5+ on a 7 year contract if he makes it to ufa. 

Thanks Mr insider :rolleyes:

• Haha 1