The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, canucklehead44 said:

He has got to be worth far more than Toffoli - centre, size, faceoffs, penalty killing, and much higher production. 

I guess the New York equivalent would be a 1st, 5th, Kevin Rooney and Will Cuylle. 

If we could get a 1st, Chytil, and Schneider I'd be over the moon

This is why we don’t trade him. We are not desperate to trade him whatsoever. 

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

This is why we don’t trade him. We are not desperate to trade him whatsoever. 

I wouldn't say that........there's not many paths to making significant upgrades in a short period of time and certainly none as fast as a MIller trade would be.  This team has very clear holes it needs to fill and it if they keep Miller it's going to be awfully tough to do that without sacrificing in other areas.  And what if Miller doesn't want to stay beyond his contract?  They'll get good value for him next year, but not like they'll get this year.

It's time for this franchise to stop being the bridesmaid 

• Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

We are not desperate to trade him whatsoever. 

Everything I read/hear/see tells me that our bottom line, which is to say our current rank in the standings is absolutely not sustainable - our goalies have been playing out of their minds and keeping this team in games it has no business being in - case in point, the Toronto game.  Statistically the amount of quality scoring chances this team gives up on a nightly basis wouldn't have us anywhere near a playoff position.  Our goalie play, and the scheduling idiosyncrasies of this season where we have played more than anyone is, in my view, giving the average fan a false sense of where this team really is in it's development curve. 

If we're not desperate to trade Miller that's fine.  But we should definitely be desperate to change the make-up of our defence and address the stupendous amount of quality scoring chances we give up on a nightly basis, otherwise this team is going nowhere now or in the future.  Whether this is addressed through a Miller trade or otherwise it still needs to be addressed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

that would not surprise me at all, if it were to happen. 

Do you know what the rumored package that the Rangers offer was to the Canucks? 

Just read somewhere that had like 4 or 5 'untouchables' that included the players we were interested in. 

Some radio discussion. 

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't say that........there's not many paths to making significant upgrades in a short period of time and certainly none as fast as a MIller trade would be.  This team has very clear holes it needs to fill and it if they keep Miller it's going to be awfully tough to do that without sacrificing in other areas.  And what if Miller doesn't want to stay beyond his contract?  They'll get good value for him next year, but not like they'll get this year.

It's time for this franchise to stop being the bridesmaid 

I feel that we'd have to win this trade BECAUSE our guy could be the best option for them to be able to win the cup. 

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

How I imagine a conversation with Rangers fans/media would (or should) go:

[Rangers guy]: “So… JT Miller, huh? I remember that guy. Used to play for us. Then Tampa Bay, but he couldn’t seem to crack the top of their lineup. Now he’s with the Nucks. Seems like a pretty good addition, but I’m not sure I’d pay much for a middle-six play-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, you say he’s actually been the Canucks’ best player and a first line/first unit guy in Van? Fine, but that’s on the Canucks. They’ve sucked the past whi-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, so you’re telling me he’s the 17th highest points producer in the entire league since 2019-20? That’s actually really impressive. Elite level production. But he’s probably just a skill guy, right? Sure he can put up some points but doesn’t have much phys-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, he’s also had the most hits of any top-80 league scorer since 2019-20 other than Ovechkin? Sounds like he can play pretty physical, but probably he can’t win faceo-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, he actually has the best faceoff percentage since 2019-20 of any top-25 scorer in the NHL and has been better on draws than most of the league’s elite centres? Dang, that’s pretty impressive too. But I still don’t like the idea of giving up good assets for a rent-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, he’s actually locked up for another year after this one? Wow, didn’t realize that. So he must be a pretty high cap h-…

“What’s that?

“$5.25M AAV?!?! For that player?!?! That’s a heck of a deal. So he must be unpopular or something, right? Bad fit in Van. Not good in the roo-…

“What’s that?

“You say he’s been one of the Nucks’ main leaders on and off the ice, hugely popular with teammates and fans alike, and a pure character guy with an extreme will to win? So then the Canucks must be in some sort of bind and need to move him? They’re putting him and the market and are trying to find a willing buy-…

“What’s that?

“They don’t actually need to trade Miller? They’re listening to offers but aren’t under any real pressure to make a deal? No deadline or time constraints? They can keep him another year? Maybe even re-sign him? They’ll only sell if they get an offer that’s too good to refuse? 

“Ah, I get it now. Yeah, sorry about that. You’re right. We’ve absolutely been lowballing you guys. It’s obviously gonna take way more to land a player like JT Miller than just Chytil and Lundqvist. I guess our media and fanbase really are out to lunch with their recent trade proposals.”

(End scene)

Ha! Very well done. Except you forgot to add in that Miller also kills penalties. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

[Rangers guy]: “So… JT Miller, huh? I remember that guy. Used to play for us. Then Tampa Bay, but he couldn’t seem to crack the top of their lineup. Now he’s with the Nucks. Seems like a pretty good addition, but I’m not sure I’d pay much for a middle-six play-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, you say he’s actually been the Canucks’ best player and a first line/first unit guy in Van? Fine, but that’s on the Canucks. They’ve sucked the past whi-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, so you’re telling me he’s the 17th highest points producer in the entire league since 2019-20? That’s actually really impressive. Elite level production. But he’s probably just a skill guy, right? Sure he can put up some points but doesn’t have much phys-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, he’s also had the most hits of any top-80 league scorer since 2019-20 other than Ovechkin? Sounds like he can play pretty physical, but probably he can’t win faceo-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, he actually has the best faceoff percentage since 2019-20 of any top-25 scorer in the NHL and has been better on draws than most of the league’s elite centres? Dang, that’s pretty impressive too. But I still don’t like the idea of giving up good assets for a rent-…

“What’s that?

“Oh, he’s actually locked up for another year after this one? Wow, didn’t realize that. So he must be a pretty high cap h-…

“What’s that?

“$5.25M AAV?!?! For that player?!?! That’s a heck of a deal. So he must be unpopular or something, right? Bad fit in Van. Not good in the roo-…

“What’s that?

“You say he’s been one of the Nucks’ main leaders on and off the ice, hugely popular with teammates and fans alike, and a pure character guy with an extreme will to win? So then the Canucks must be in some sort of bind and need to move him? They’re putting him and the market and are trying to find a willing buy-…

“What’s that?

“They don’t actually need to trade Miller? They’re listening to offers but aren’t under any real pressure to make a deal? No deadline or time constraints? They can keep him another year? Maybe even re-sign him? They’ll only sell if they get an offer that’s too good to refuse? 

“Ah, I get it now. Yeah, sorry about that. You’re right. We’ve absolutely been lowballing you guys. It’s obviously gonna take way more to land a player like JT Miller than just Chytil and Lundqvist. I guess our media and fanbase really are out to lunch with their recent trade proposals.”

(End scene)

Absolutely freakin’ gorgeous.

5 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Counter offer to the Rags.  Laff, Schneider, 22 1st, 2023 1st.  

We can play this game too.  Unapologetically, we have all the leverage.

Kind of yeah, or we can wait too long and they'll trade for someone else and we don't get anything from them.  I might be too used to watching Benning's trade deadlines in recent years, I'm a bit nervous right now

33 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If you want rumours/speculation here's one:  Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundkvist. 

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-price-to-trade-for-canucks-j-t-miller-went-up/

For me, if that's the offer - pass. 

Lundqvist isn't chopped liver, that's for sure and Kravstov, if they can get him into the mix, couod be a game breaker and a nice add for Podz.  I do think they'd have to add another piece to make it worhwhike and chytil would be a great complimentary piece.  Maybe the Canucks add Woo

Miler, woo

Lundqvist, kravstov, chytil, 1st.  They could package that first with their and maybe move into the top 5 at the draft.

Why do people want laffriere for miller!? He has the same amount of games as hoglander but hoggy has been more productive by 10 assists. Alexis is first overall and hoggy is seocond rounder.. if we trade miller it has to be someone who we know for sure can contribute offensively or else we won’t be contender for a very long time and it will just be step back… like JT has to stay for the Canucks to be competitive. He is the only one who is consistently producing despite of Green. Without him we won’t score more than one goal a game… you have to replace that offense if we are to trade him. I hope to god we don’t trade Miller. You think Canucks are boring to watch? It was a snooze fest when he was away cuz we can’t get any offense without him. Trade Petey if anyone, while he is on a hot streak!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

Why do people want laffriere for miller!? He has the same amount of games as hoglander but hoggy has been more productive by 10 assists. Alexis is first overall and hoggy is seocond rounder.. if we trade miller it has to be someone who we know for sure can contribute offensively or else we won’t be contender for a very long time and it will just be step back… like JT has to stay for the Canucks to be competitive. He is the only one who is consistently producing despite of Green. Without him we won’t score more than one goal a game… you have to replace that offense if we are to trade him. I hope to god we don’t trade Miller. You think Canucks are boring to watch? It was a snooze fest when he was away cuz we can’t get any offense without him. Trade Petey if anyone, while he is on a hot streak!

The guy has incredible speed, good stick handling and a great shot. It’s really surprising he hasn’t done much to start his career. NYR have a great top 6 so he’s not really being thrown into a top 6 situation which would help him produce more. For me it’s the idea that this might be the only time you could snag a talent like Lafreniere. If he does hit his potential you would have successfully sold high and bought low. He’s still young and I’m a believer he could still become a top line winger.

I think everybody on these boards loves JT Miller and would definitely be into an extension if it was 100% guaranteed he’d re-sign. You could keep him and he could leave and we’d get nothing as compensation or you could move the top coveted player for the equivalent of 3 1rst round picks. I think people see that as the best possible outcome for our future.

Edited by flickyoursedin

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

“What’s that?

“What’s that?

“What’s that?

“What’s that?

“What’s that?

“What’s that?

“What’s that?

“You say he’s been one of the Nucks’ main leaders on and off the ice, hugely popular with teammates and fans alike, and a pure character guy with an extreme will to win? So then the Canucks must be in some sort of bind and need to move him? They’re putting him on the market and are trying to find a willing buy-…

“What’s that?

(End scene)

You're hired. GM Sid it is 

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think everybody on these boards loves JT Miller and would definitely be into an extension if it was 100% guaranteed he’d re-sign. 

Well you're right that I'd imagine everybody (or at least close to) loves Miller, RIGHT now.

I have zero desire however, to see the team sign him to the likely +/-$9m x 6-8 year deal it would require to keep him here until his mid-late 30's.

We have very real structural and succession issues, on D especially. We won't be able to adequately address those by tying up $9m with Miller. We won't be able to address them by not trading Miller for younger assets.

It's basically doubling down, with more cap, to desperately cling to the current, mediocre, not good enough team. Which in turn actually means the team gets worse, as he (and others) age, decline and take up more cap.

No thanks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

We're Canucks fans, we are litterally desperate for a first over all player.