The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't disagree on Hamonic, but I'm hopeful that's behind him and what makes me want to keep him is that he's likely going to be be cheap and will play well above his contract, as he is right now.  He's a solid top 4 rhd, imo.

As far as Pearson goes, you're just going to have to go out there and find another Pearson for around the same cost........why not just keep Pearson?

Hopefully the trickle down, or in this case up, effect.  If Lockwood can make the roster I feel like Motte could take Pearson's roll which would save on some cap dollars.  All in all it would be one of the smaller moves to add to the sum of a re-tool which in and of itself wouldn't move the needle on the roster much.  

I agree, we would be looking for a Pearson if all that didn't work out.  Also would gladly have Hamonic at a discounted rate. It's just been tough to watch him string us along the past 2 seasons.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Hopefully the trickle down, or in this case up, effect.  If Lockwood can make the roster I feel like Motte could take Pearson's roll which would save on some cap dollars.  All in all it would be one of the smaller moves to add to the sum of a re-tool which in and of itself wouldn't move the needle on the roster much.  

I agree, we would be looking for a Pearson if all that didn't work out.  Also would gladly have Hamonic at a discounted rate. It's just been tough to watch him string us along the past 2 seasons.

agreed

I do think Motte is set to have a bigger role on the team and I believe he'll be a priority signing for them.  He's earned it and has more to his game I think.  I think they might actually make the Lammiko line a third line and restructure a 4th line in the off season.  That line has been incredibly effective

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

agreed

I do think Motte is set to have a bigger role on the team and I believe he'll be a priority signing for them.  He's earned it and has more to his game I think.  I think they might actually make the Lammiko line a third line and restructure a 4th line in the off season.  That line has been incredibly effective

Lammy has been such a boon for the team.  OJ who?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

There are rumours that the Rangers are pretty hard and heavy after Chychrun too.

I wonder if they managed that whether K'Andre Miller would be freed up to come this way in a Miller trade.  That would work pretty darn well for us as he is right in the pocket for an upgrade that makes us better in the short and long term.

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

There are rumours that the Rangers are pretty hard and heavy after Chychrun too.

I wonder if they managed that whether K'Andre Miller would be freed up to come this way in a Miller trade.  That would work pretty darn well for us as he is right in the pocket for an upgrade that makes us better in the short and long term.

I think K Miller is potentially a real gem and absolutely hope that if we deal with NYR he's part of the consolation package if Schneider is unattainable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing I will add to the Miller debate is where we saw this heading when he was first obtained. Initially some people hated the trade and then most grew to love it. However did Benning think immediately he would be re-signed at all cost. No I don't think so. He was more of a 4 year investment to lead and shelter the core. More likely he had a wait and see approach.

Towards last year most people likely saw how valuable he was and started to think about re-signing him to a modest raise and long term extension. Well that was before most of our players went in the tank this year and Miller excelled at the top of expectations, making his future deal even more expensive and lengthy. Now imagine we were firmly in the playoffs and turning heads, even making a decent playoff run we would be in a situation where we were almost forced to re-sign him to such an extravagant deal.

Combine his future contract with the hockey we're playing and maybe we're lucky to have had a crap year where we can still walk away with a bright future. I for one think Miller's next contract was a big question mark the day we traded for him.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One thing I will add to the Miller debate is where we saw this heading when he was first obtained. Initially some people hated the trade and then most grew to love it. However did Benning think immediately he would be re-signed at all cost. No I don't think so. He was more of a 4 year investment to lead and shelter the core. More likely he had a wait and see approach.

Towards last year most people likely saw how valuable he was and started to think about re-signing him to a modest raise and long term extension. Well that was before most of our players went in the tank this year and Miller excelled at the top of expectations, making his future deal even more expensive and lengthy. Now imagine we were firmly in the playoffs and turning heads, even making a decent playoff run we would be in a situation where we were almost forced to re-sign him to such an extravagant deal.

Combine his future contract with the hockey we're playing and maybe we're lucky to have had a crap year where we can still walk away with a bright future. I for one think Miller's next contract was a big question mark the day we traded for him.

What are we supposed to be, the most economical team in the league?

Paying too much to those who don’t really deserve it?

Next the Reddit Scout will show up with a graph for each players Carbon Footprint.

Money has gone to too many lost causes on this team.

I hope that changes too.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

What are we supposed to be, the most economical team in the league?

Paying too much to those who don’t really deserve it?

Next the Reddit Scout will show up with a graph for each players Carbon Footprint.

Money has gone to too many lost causes on this team.

I hope that changes too.

No that's Arizona, but all teams have to be extremely wary of the salary cap. It's one of the most important aspects when it comes to constructing an NHL team. We're currently right up against it.

5 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Leaf fans are stupid. Thinking spare parts will get them Miller smh. 

Yep. I’d agree with this. Lots of stupid Leafs fans. Also lots of stupid Rangers fans too. 

These two markets suggesting that they’d get Miller for scraps. 

Get lost. 

Comedy Central Middle Finger GIF by Workaholics

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I really don't get why the Coyotes are wanting to move Chycrun

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I really don't get why the Coyotes are wanting to move Chycrun

Debt.

and to have a garbage product that much easier facilitates a franchise relocation.

isn’t the only reason they are still in Arizona is because of the requirement for the US tv deal? 
god knows the rest of the league owners must hate revenue sharing with that mooch of a franchise. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Debt.

and to have a garbage product that much easier facilitates a franchise relocation.

isn’t the only reason they are still in Arizona is because of the requirement for the US tv deal? 
god knows the rest of the league owners must hate revenue sharing with that mooch of a franchise. 

Yeah. wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the league owners hate Arizona. 

It's a poorly run franchise. They've been given so many opportunities to do things right, but for whatever reason, they don't. They'd be better if they moved to Québec City. 

Atlanta for the same reasons. Wasn't it a big TV market? Pssh. Winnipeg has easily outdrawn them. And this is Atlanta's second time they've lost a franchise. Once to Calgary, now to Winnipeg. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the league owners hate Arizona. 

It's a poorly run franchise. They've been given so many opportunities to do things right, but for whatever reason, they don't. They'd be better if they moved to Québec City. 

Atlanta for the same reasons. Wasn't it a big TV market? Pssh. Winnipeg has easily outdrawn them. And this is Atlanta's second time they've lost a franchise. Once to Calgary, now to Winnipeg. 

I read somewhere that the plan is to move them to Houston as the best option in terms of servicing the US broadcasting agreement, not to mention maintaining divisional alignments 

I'm not really entirely sure why NYR would want Miller so much when their top line is pretty much locked with Zibanejad and then Strome's been playing decently as a 2nd line center. Grabbing Miller (a PPG center) would pretty much push Strome back to 3rd line center and Boodrow to 4C (who has over 20 points), or they could play Miller on the 2nd line wing, but boy they'd be stacked.

I'm not sure but Ryan Nugent-Hopkins may be a cheaper alternative. There's got to be a trade to be made around RNH and Georgiev (although he's been pretty average of late too).

The longer this goes on the more I doubt we see a Miller for Schneider-type trade.