The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

That’s the way I feel about this entire thread.

How can we give up a Smyl 3.0 in Miller.?

JT resurrected this club when he arrived,. The trouble is no one else but Garland OEL Dickenson can keep up with his tenacity..

He is great mentor for EP and Podz, and many more.

I think if we were able to get a solid commitment out of him then hell yeah he's a way better captain than Bo. 

If we clear out the issue and Miller is resigned to a longer deal i'd be all for keeping him. I just can't wrap my head around letting this guy go unless the price is so good you have to do it...and the vultures are circling...they ain't looking to pay top dollar for anything coming from the Canucks right now. I can see why management is trying to slow roll this a bit to cool the situation down. They will get their shirt handed to them if they make a trade in my own honest opinion.

Coaching change is the easiest solution for this season right now.

Assess how the players respond to a new coach and go from there. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, AC30 said:

Build the team around JT 

The guy is a powerhouse 

He WANTS TO WIN!!!

Get rid of all our soft scrawny players 

Get bigger tougher faster 

And what if he doesn't re-sign?  Which I think is pretty much a guarantee?

4 hours ago, AC30 said:

Build the team around JT 

The guy is a powerhouse 

He WANTS TO WIN!!!

Get rid of all our soft scrawny players 

Get bigger tougher faster 

That is the reason we won't have a chance to re-sign him.  This will realistically be his last contract with a chance to win the Cup.  He isn't going to tie himself down to a team that has been one of the very worst in the league for almost a decade and continues to be still.

The decision making was poor for the organization.  The year after the bubble was the time to "go for it" and get rid of all of that bad salary which would have allowed us to keep our good players and even add pieces.  Yet that year Benning said outright several times that trading a 1st or 2nd round pick was off the table and he wouldn't do it.  We lost a bunch of key players, screwed up the chemistry and completely demolished some good feeling around the entire league.  Players and pundits including Toronto based ones were saying we were likely going to be Canada's next team to win the Cup.

... then as per normal operating procedure, Benning completely did a 180 the next year and gave up the previously untouchable pick to try to salvage his job.  Too late as the players were still gone.

People just have to stop thinking about Miller being a Canuck longer than next year and start thinking about what we can get for him.  If we don't move on it as soon as possible her is going to get himself injured and we will lose our chance to help the organization for years by moving our best trade chip.

Edited by Provost

Still thinking this is a coaching problem however if Horvat went to Minny for Fiala/Boldy this is certainly not a bad forward group for many years with a proper coach:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Fiala - Miller - Garland

Boldy - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Lammikko - Motte

Not going to happen and likely shouldn’t, but I think people underestimate the jam Fiala has.  Plays a lot like Garland but a bit bigger.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Still thinking this is a coaching problem however if Horvat went to Minny for Fiala/Boldy this is certainly not a bad forward group for many years with a proper coach:

Fiala - Miller - Garland

Not going to happen and likely shouldn’t, but I think people underestimate the jam Fiala has.  Plays a lot like Garland but a bit bigger.

Good god that is a bad set of centers lmao.

That is one MAJOR downgrade imo.

Edited by Canuck Luck
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Good point and insight 

If we move one of,  Boeser or Horvat,  we’ll be able to sign Miller.

if it’s Horvat,  Miller would get the Captaincy.

we still get a decent return for B or H.

Miller has longetivity..

He is by far our most outstanding player other than our Goalie.

Blue Collar ,  what this team needs to get back to,.  Lost with the Sedins to finesse..

We need the right mix.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

That is the reason we won't have a chance to re-sign him.  This will realistically be his last contract with a chance to win the Cup.  He isn't going to tie himself down to a team that has been one of the very worst in the league for almost a decade and continues to be still.

The decision making was poor for the organization.  The year after the bubble was the time to "go for it" and get rid of all of that bad salary which would have allowed us to keep our good players and even add pieces.  Yet that year Benning said outright several times that trading a 1st or 2nd round pick was off the table and he wouldn't do it.  We lost a bunch of key players, screwed up the chemistry and completely demolished some good feeling around the entire league.  Players and pundits including Toronto based ones were saying we were likely going to be Canada's next team to win the Cup.

... then as per normal operating procedure, Benning completely did a 180 the next year and gave up the previously untouchable pick to try to salvage his job.  Too late as the players were still gone.

People just have to stop thinking about Miller being a Canuck longer than next year and start thinking about what we can get for him.  If we don't move on it as soon as possible her is going to get himself injured and we will lose our chance to help the organization for years by moving our best trade chip.

Agreed on Miller... as much as I love his grit and leadership and production, it's probably time to trade him when his trade value is on the rise given his cap hit for one more season!!

But I'd also trade Boeser too since he's an impending RFA.. he's not gonna come cheap to re-sign.... at least $7M.

So basically, we should be going for a semi-rebuild, meaning getting some decent roster players (preferably a big power forward and a reliable D-man) in return + top prospects/picks!!

44 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Fiala - Miller - Garland

If we are ever trading with Minny, I really wanna see Greenway as part of the package... he can address mutliple issues... Boldy is nice and all but we already got Podz to develop... we really lack a big body that can create havoc out there and is also capable of producing!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Fiala - Miller - Garland

So basically never win a face off. good stuff. 

I can't believe people are talking about trading Horvat, every player is slumping, it's obviously a coaching and culture issue.

If Aquilini has any brains he would fire everyone and get some fresh minds to assess the team.

He avoided a proper rebuild because of playoff revenue but we hardly ever make the playoffs and ya it wouldn't be ideal financially to can everyone and pay out their contracts while hiring new staff... but if he doesn't, this team will have worse attendance than it ever has. So he's losing money either way.

This team has always been late to the dance though, always hesitant to execute no matter who the owner or management is.

Missed out on Gretzky because of a 3 am phone call, crapped the bed with Luongo Schneider, crapped the bed with linden messier Bure mogilny all on the same team, couldn't stand by its loyal captain.

The list is endless.

I love this team but they don't love the fans back, either that or they are cursed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

If we move one of,  Boeser or Horvat,  we’ll be able to sign Miller.

if it’s Horvat,  Miller would get the Captaincy.

we still get a decent return for B or H.

Miller has longetivity..

He is by far our most outstanding player other than our Goalie.

Blue Collar ,  what this team needs to get back to,.  Lost with the Sedins to finesse..

We need the right mix.

I’ve been wanting a blue collar hard working nothing but heart team since 94…

• Vintage 1

Time to start a new thread:

2. Juicy trade proposal floated out by Nick Kypreos this week.

If the floundering Vancouver Canucks (6-12-2) are willing to surrender to a reset and wish to maximize a return, how many contenders would be lining up offers for captain Bo Horvat?

The responsible two-way centre has two potential playoff runs on a contract that carries a friendly $5.5-million cap hit, and the rental market up the middle of the ice should be incredibly thin this season.

When his deal expires in 2023, Horvat will be 28 years old and searching for an estimated seven years near $7 million per season.

Will a long-term commitment to Horvat at that point align with a legitimate contention window for Vancouver?

If not, it’s not so crazy to think this winter could be the best time to move on.

What else does the club have to offer as a trade chip? Tyler Motte? Brad Hunt? Jaroslav Halak? Brandon Sutter?

Compared to a Horvat blockbuster, those returns wouldn’t be in the same ballpark.

• 1 month later...

This from the Rangers potentials for Miller

Potential NYR assets for Miller

I say keep Miller. He’s the type you win Cups with.

Besides, nothing impresses me in those potentials. They all carry high risk. In Miller, we k ow what we have and we know he’s got the playoff performance needed to go deep.

Like Horvat, the higher the stake, the better he performs.

Cant buy that.

Edited by Me_