The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm in ... in a heartbeat. I think this guy has tremendous upside. A great first move at building up the right side of D. We are so missing a slicker player who can play with elite forwards there.

Add a Schnieder type prospect and support with bigger stay at home D's and that's a defence that can excel

Hughes Schnieder

OEL Manson

K.Miller Lundqvist

Oops I just stole all of the Rags D youth.

Don't apologize, manifest!

5 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts on Vancouver:

13. One executive was talking about Vancouver and Winnipeg. He said he didn’t envy those teams making hockey decisions with the financial losses they’ve suffered from lack of crowds. They’ve worked their way into playoff contention, although the math isn’t on their side. In a lot of years, you might punt, but with everything that’s gone on the last two years, a playoff race and a postseason round is incredibly enticing. The Jets’ biggest decisions will likely come this summer, with Andrew Copp and Paul Stastny pressing in the moment. Copp’s got a lot of interest, in particular. Colorado for sure. Boston loves versatile forwards, and he is one.

14. The Canucks don’t have to rush (other than Motte) and seem prepared to wait until the summer unless either someone forces them to reconsider or a player they covet drops on their lap. One example would be Pittsburgh defenceman John Marino, but, as mentioned last weekend, it’s a difficult match. For one thing, the Penguins like their vibe and aren’t inclined to tinker too much with it. For another, with several tricky negotiations to come, they don’t want more. Los Angeles and Boston have checked in for some scoring, just not sure if it happens right now. Don’t see J.T. Miller going anywhere at this time; see that as a postseason conversation, including what it would take to re-sign him.

Choosing $ over the their future is how the Canucks got into their current situation.

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why is that disrespectful? I don't think his skillset is what this roster is in need of. I didn't say he was a bad player, just not what we need.

Fair point, disrespect probably wasn't the right word

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

puck moving RHD prospect.... why doesn't that fit? 

Lundqvist isn't ranked very high in any mid-season reports i've seen.   To put it into perspective - Both Woo and Rathbone made the top 100 to start the year - Woo has left it, Rathbone moved up 25 or so spots into the low 60's.   I get we need a young RHD that can hopefully be groomed into the top four, and also that they are  1/3 less of them overall (so they are tough to find).   One thing that isn't as hard to find, are guys like Benn and Schenn etc.    To me as long as we have four or five legit top four guys, the rest should fall into place.   

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Lundqvist isn't ranked very high in any mid-season reports i've seen.   To put it into perspective - Both Woo and Rathbone made the top 100 to start the year - Woo has left it, Rathbone moved up 25 or so spots into the low 60's.   I get we need a young RHD that can hopefully be groomed into the top four, and also that they are  1/3 less of them overall (so they are tough to find).   One thing that isn't as hard to find, are guys like Benn and Schenn etc.    To me as long as we have four or five legit top four guys, the rest should fall into place.   

I wonder how much of that is due to the weird covid seasons tho? it just seemed like a decent deal value-wise to try to use Garland to get him, for the player but also fo the cap clearing.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You can't carry the Miller situation in to next season and certainly not next TDL. The closer to the TDL, the more leverage buyers have. Therefore, likely the lower the return. You also risk him having a down season, getting injured etc. Then there's pulling the rug out from a team (hopefully) battling for a playoff spot and then risking him walking for nothing if you don't move him, because of it. The exact reasoning folks don't want to move him now.

The main reason this even came up this season was because originally, we weren't fighting for a playoff spot. Like remotely. And he was having a very good season, with his value never higher due to his play, and having two, bargain cap, playoff runs under contract.

Figure out this summer if he stays or goes (and I honestly don't see a contract that works for both team and player given his contract comparables, age and our window/age of the core). So goes it is. Pull the Band-Aid off. Probably at the draft.

this is interesting. I wonder if this puts pressure on NYR to make a big move since it looks like a lock that Giroux is heading to Florida.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, AC Readership said:

Choosing $ over the their future is how the Canucks got into their current situation.

choosing the future is how the oilers and sabres got into their current situations. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts on Vancouver:

13. One executive was talking about Vancouver and Winnipeg. He said he didn’t envy those teams making hockey decisions with the financial losses they’ve suffered from lack of crowds. They’ve worked their way into playoff contention, although the math isn’t on their side. In a lot of years, you might punt, but with everything that’s gone on the last two years, a playoff race and a postseason round is incredibly enticing. The Jets’ biggest decisions will likely come this summer, with Andrew Copp and Paul Stastny pressing in the moment. Copp’s got a lot of interest, in particular. Colorado for sure. Boston loves versatile forwards, and he is one.

14. The Canucks don’t have to rush (other than Motte) and seem prepared to wait until the summer unless either someone forces them to reconsider or a player they covet drops on their lap. One example would be Pittsburgh defenceman John Marino, but, as mentioned last weekend, it’s a difficult match. For one thing, the Penguins like their vibe and aren’t inclined to tinker too much with it. For another, with several tricky negotiations to come, they don’t want more. Los Angeles and Boston have checked in for some scoring, just not sure if it happens right now. Don’t see J.T. Miller going anywhere at this time; see that as a postseason conversation, including what it would take to re-sign him.

I’d tend to agree. I don’t think that anyone moves at this trade deadline for the Canucks. Especially since they’re so close (relatively speaking), but Dallas still got 3 games in hand, so unless they lose those three in hand, and the Canucks don’t make ground, don’t think it’s happening. 

I can see a very busy off-season for management, but I think the team will be relatively quiet this trade deadline. 

So my prediction. Lots of chatter, but nothing gets done, except for maybe Motte. 

I can't say I envy the Canucks management team right now. Re-signing Miller long-term for big $$ could work out amazingly well if he maintains his current crazy pace for a few more years, or he could quickly revert to being a 70 point or less, good but not amazing, player. And trading him could result in the haul of a lifetime, with all the returns working out and becoming a huge part of a cup run. Or the return could be some decent players that never make the kind of impact that Miller has had.

There's no way he takes less than 8x$9m now, right? Man those are such big numbers...

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

puck moving RHD prospect.... why doesn't that fit? 

To put it bluntly, he's small. If we're assuming both he and and Rathbone make the jump within the next two years, we would have three sub-six foot defensemen on our blueline, and small bluelines don't win cups. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To put it bluntly, he's small. If we're assuming both and and Rathbone make the jump within the next two years, we would have three sub-six foot defensemen on our blueline, and small bluelines don't win cups. 

I was thinking we'd move the 'bone for some F help, maybe Rathbone + for Zacha?

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I can't say I envy the Canucks management team right now. Re-signing Miller long-term for big $$ could work out amazingly well if he maintains his current crazy pace for a few more years, or he could quickly revert to being a 70 point or less, good but not amazing, player. And trading him could result in the haul of a lifetime, with all the returns working out and becoming a huge part of a cup run. Or the return could be some decent players that never make the kind of impact that Miller has had.

There's no way he takes less than 8x$9m now, right? Man those are such big numbers...

even if he stays productive, at that cap hit, with Petey, Hughes and Demko, they wouldn't really be able to get good depth players to support those guys and they'd, basically, become the Jets.......a team with contender potential, now a bubble playoff team

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

To put it bluntly, he's small. If we're assuming both he and and Rathbone make the jump within the next two years, we would have three sub-six foot defensemen on our blueline, and small bluelines don't win cups. 

I wouldn't say 190 is small.  

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Interesting idea. But as far as trading for a defenseman goes, I really think we should be putting our focus on trying the find a long term partner for Hughes. Finding a young, top 4 RD that can play in his own end is absolutely imperative for this franchise going forward. I really don't think Lundqvist is that guy.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It is an interesting idea, assuming we had the chance to negotiate an extension under his QO first.

Lots of reports that the Canucks are interested in Zacha, who knows what their impression of Rathbone is.  One would think that Jersey woiuld have to add some thin just due to the contract status.

I think Rathbone gets moved out at some point as he doesn’t seem to be a fit for our needs to me.  All the things he does well, Hughes does better…. And it is going to be Hughes on the ice for all those minutes so it is setting up Rathbone to not be effective.

• Vintage 2