The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Imo move Miller and Myers if possible. That's $11.2m ... a good start to getting rid of our cap problems. Of course that really depletes us in key positions so we'd have to get a replacement or two back in that deal and/or be prepared to face an uphill/unknown battle next year. As @stawns has mentioned Myers plays tonnes of minutes so he'd be hard to replace but that would be the plan via trade possibly with that newly acquired cap space. There is also free agency but the timing is all over the place and could leave us standing in a game of musical chairs.

Either way Myers is gone in two years anyway. I don't know if I'm overly concerned that we may struggle there until permanent replacements are found. One way or other we probably end up paying the price for neglecting that position for 10 years straight, but we're also not really expecting to be competitive for 2 years anyway. However if that's not feasible, or even if it is I'm also looking to move one of Pearson or Hoglander for sure. We've got to stop acquiring random players just because they are not bad at what they do and their salary isn't that bad. We actually need a spot for them to play. So, is Pearson a third liner, or is he a second liner, where does the management see him playing? Same thing with Hoglander. For me they're both middling pieces. We also have Podz who is occupying a spot no matter what so we start running out of positions and money for these spare part players. They are definitely too expensive and don't equate to the fourth line either. And that's my morning ramble.

Also I just saw some clueless poster above call Chiasson our new Motte. :picard: lol I'm just going to continue ignoring everything that poster says. :lol:

17 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Good lord look at those numbers.... Miller is getting paaaaaaaid.

Ya he is.  People can not for one second look at Kadri and think Miller is NOT more valuable than him in almost every possible position or situation.  No bones to Kadri but Miller is a much more overall effective player without the antics or liability of endless suspensions.  Is almost 2.5 years younger and has seen nothing but upwards growth since age 24 where as Kadri shows clearly after a 60 point season 16/17 that this year is an outlier for him.

If Kadri is worth $8.5 million, Miller is $9.25 and that puts him out of our reach/

I might also add...no player in the history of the league not named kariya/Selanne or recently Stamkos has ever really truly taken a team friendly deal that left literal millions on the table.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I might also add...no player in the history of the league not named kariya/Selanne or recently Stamkos has ever really truly taken a team friendly deal that left literal millions on the table.

National Hockey League Reaction GIF by NHL

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

National Hockey League Reaction GIF by NHL

$12.65 million extension in 2017 was the highest year by year contract in league history when signed.

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby GIF - Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby Waving GIFs

Crosbys contract signed in 2013 when averaged out to todays dollars would be $13.4 million; when signed it was one of the highest contracts ever signed in the NHL for total value but Weber made more via actual salary.

Neither player left money let alone millions on the table.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Both Chiarelli and McDavid acknowledged that money was left on the table and that McDavid indicated he signed for less money so the team would still be able to ice a competitive team.  The exact amount that was left on the table is debated, but I've read anywhere between $700 000.00 to $800,000.00/year for the length of the contract which equates to over $5 000 000.00. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/connor-mcdavid-contract-per-year-help-oilers-2017-7

https://globalnews.ca/news/3576695/edmonton-oilers-connor-mcdavid-contract-extension/

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/5/15923678/oilers-sign-connor-mcdavid-contract-extension-nhl-free-agency-2018

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Imo move Miller and Myers if possible. That's $11.2m ... a good start to getting rid of our cap problems. Of course that really depletes us in key positions so we'd have to get a replacement or two back in that deal and/or be prepared to face an uphill/unknown battle next year. As @stawns has mentioned Myers plays tonnes of minutes so he'd be hard to replace but that would be the plan via trade possibly with that newly acquired cap space. There is also free agency but the timing is all over the place and could leave us standing in a game of musical chairs.

Either way Myers is gone in two years anyway. I don't know if I'm overly concerned that we may struggle there until permanent replacements are found. One way or other we probably end up paying the price for neglecting that position for 10 years straight, but we're also not really expecting to be competitive for 2 years anyway. However if that's not feasible, or even if it is I'm also looking to move one of Pearson or Hoglander for sure. We've got to stop acquiring random players just because they are not bad at what they do and their salary isn't that bad. We actually need a spot for them to play. So, is Pearson a third liner, or is he a second liner, where does the management see him playing? Same thing with Hoglander. For me they're both middling pieces. We also have Podz who is occupying a spot no matter what so we start running out of positions and money for these spare part players. They are definitely too expensive and don't equate to the fourth line either. And that's my morning ramble.

Also I just saw some clueless poster above call Chiasson our new Motte. :picard: lol I'm just going to continue ignoring everything that poster says. :lol:

Personally, I'd just rather hang on to Myers for those two seasons than move him and then try to replace those mins, in that role.  He gets a bad rap, but he's a workhorse and guys like that are a lot harder to replace than many think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Both Chiarelli and McDavid acknowledged that money was left on the table and that McDavid indicated he signed for less money so the team would still be able to ice a competitive team.  The exact amount that was left on the table is debated, but I've read anywhere between $700 000.00 to $800,000.00/year for the length of the contract which equates to over $5 000 000.00. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/connor-mcdavid-contract-per-year-help-oilers-2017-7

https://globalnews.ca/news/3576695/edmonton-oilers-connor-mcdavid-contract-extension/

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/5/15923678/oilers-sign-connor-mcdavid-contract-extension-nhl-free-agency-2018

Jelly Beans GIF

$12.65 million extension in 2017 was the highest year by year contract in league history when signed.

Crosbys contract signed in 2013 when averaged out to todays dollars would be $13.4 million; when signed it was one of the highest contracts ever signed in the NHL for total value but Weber made more via actual salary.

watch out hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

Noone else except this guy's contract can be considered a true team friendly deal although too be fair he didn't fully breakout until the season after he signed that contract.

Edited by Rindiculous

11 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

watch out hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

Noone else except this guy's contract can be considered a true team friendly deal although too be fair he didn't fully breakout until the season after he signed that contract.

Same situation here:

Thatcher Demko signs a five-year extension with the Vancouver Canucks -  Nucks Misconduct

Edited by HKSR

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Signing what is/was still the richest contract in NHL history for his age is not helping the team.  It is also not exactly leaving much if any real money on the table.  $5 million over the length of the contract isn't scratch to be fair but it's also not leaving millions per year on the table.

At no point in leage history outside of really Selanne and Kariya in Colorado or Stamkos in Tampa has a player left literal millions on the table to take a massively friendly contract to help their team.

Miller will be a minimum low end $8.5 million as a starter and someone will suffer for it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I just wanted to make a reply gif :lol: but I did look at Crosby's $8.7 the other day and think wow this guy is worth $30m a year for what he's done in hockey and for the pens. I'm pretty sure he signed for less than people thought he could. But umm I don't know you don't think Crosby could have signed a shorter deal for more money and then signed another one at at least the same price? He's easily worth $8.7 for another 3 years imo.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Signing what is/was still the richest contract in NHL history for his age is not helping the team.  It is also not exactly leaving much if any real money on the table.  $5 million over the length of the contract isn't scratch to be fair but it's also not leaving millions per year on the table.

At no point in leage history outside of really Selanne and Kariya in Colorado or Stamkos in Tampa has a player left literal millions on the table to take a massively friendly contract to help their team.

Miller will be a minimum low end $8.5 million as a starter and someone will suffer for it

Didn’t Hossa leave a chunk of money on the table once or twice? 

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well I just wanted to make a reply gif :lol: but I did look at Crosby's $8.7 the other day and think wow this guy is worth $30m a year for what he's done in hockey and for the pens. I'm pretty sure he signed for less than people thought he could. But umm I don't know you don't think Crosby could have signed a shorter deal for more money and then signed another one at at least the same price? He's easily worth $8.7 for another 3 years imo.

If he re-signs anywhere he'll get 8-10 million just for being crosby.  What's insane is McJesus' next contract is due when he's barely turned 29 years old.  How much do you think he's gonna get?

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:39 PM, Canucks Curse said:

I would be all over that, a first line of POdz Petey Forsberg would be insane, maybe PA considers Forsberg a "superstar"

Isn't forsberg going to be a ufa and thus we do not have to trade for him?

I would love to have him but not at the cost of JT. With him making 5.5,  would keep him over Garland,  Pearson,  Dickenson,  especially if we land the Russian dude.

When I look at cap friendly it's possible to bring him in while retaining the top 9 minus Garland and probably 1 of Pearson or preferably Dickinson.  I 

Just now, Warhippy said:

If he re-signs anywhere he'll get 8-10 million just for being crosby.  What's insane is McJesus' next contract is due when he's barely turned 29 years old.  How much do you think he's gonna get?

I think McDavid's contract at time of signing was 16.67% of the cap.  I'd suspect he'll want 20% of the cap, so if the cap is $90M by then, he'll be in the neighbourhood of $18M.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Didn’t Hossa leave a chunk of money on the table once or twice? 

Hossas secondary contract was signed in 2006 for $6 million, making him at that time the 18th highest paid player in the league.

His final contract signed in 2009 was only $5.25 million on the cap but dollar value over the 12 years signed made him the 16th highest paid player in the league at the time of signing.  The salary cap for 2009/2010 was only $56.8 million.

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Hossas secondary contract was signed in 2006 for $6 million, making him at that time the 18th highest paid player in the league.

His final contract signed in 2009 was only $5.25 million on the cap but dollar value over the 12 years signed made him the 16th highest paid player in the league at the time of signing.  The salary cap for 2009/2010 was only $56.8 million.

Huh. I thought he took a crazy small contract for the 1 year in Detroit. Obviously it’s been a while lol. 

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Same situation here:

Thatcher Demko signs a five-year extension with the Vancouver Canucks -  Nucks Misconduct

not really.. most goalies don't get paid outrageous amount.. he's about right for his current play at 5mil.. i mean markstrom hallebyuck binnington gibson are all just around 6 or a little above.. and those are vezina/finalist stanley cup winners in there.