The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes a deal with Bruins would likely need to be more than 1 for 1 for that reason, e.g.

To BOS: Miller + Schenn + Hamonic

To VAN: Carlo + Debrusk

....or something...

Carlo Can’t skate, and Debrusk is a cap dump.  JR isn’t stupid.  

JR:  JT, we are missing some pieces and not likely to make the playoffs in the next couple of years.  We’d like to trade you for some young pieces.

JT:  OK as long as it’s a contender.

JR:  Great.  And if in 2 years we are ready, we’d like to sign you back when you’re UFA (*wink wink*)

JT:  Sounds like a plan

:towel:

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again though, I like Carlo... A lot. But at this point Debrusk is largely a cap dump. And they probably will try to avoid near anything to give Carlo up/feel like they're giving up too much already to add a tonne more to make it worth while. Happy to be wrong there and happy to have them bid up the Rangers but...

And Schneider has a good possibility of being better.

I don't see Carlo as the kind of player they'd be looking to get back .........for Boeser maybe

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why?  I thought everyone's complaint about JB was that he either let assets walk away or he didn't get full value for them?  Isn't moving valuable pieces before they decline and stick the team with an anchor contract the preferred path?

Why doesnt that apply anymore?

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

JB's not here anymore?:P

Not to turn this into another Benning thread because you guys know I would hate to do that, but both the organization and the market are sick of losing.

Trading Miller (likely for younger pieces) means we're taking another step back. Not that it isn't the right move, but that's reality.

Miller was acquired 3 years ago as a "take the next step" type of move but we've spun our wheels for the most part since then.

And I think the issues people had with Benning not capitalizing on declining assets was more from the beginning of his tenure when we should have been properly rebuilding.

All that said, in Benning's defense, looks like we're probably going to get more for him in return than what we paid... asset management? :bigblush:

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Still like the Rangers best for fit and the likely return coming back to us, but the Bruins make a TONNE of sense for extending their window and with Bergeron 36 and expiring. He'd make a solid replacement 1C for them. 

Not sure I like their return for us as much though. Debrusk as the likely young cap/roster player coming back vs Chytil. IMO I doubt we get Carlo (they can't afford to lose him if they're actually going for it...unless maybe they spend elsewhere for Klingberg). But otherwise their prospect pool is a bit ho-hum beyond Lysell who's more of what we already have.

Minnesota makes a load of sense given their lack of top end C's (surprised VGK aren't on the list for the same reason). Not sure they'd be willing to give up what's required given their impending cap issues but it would have to start with Boldy and probably Fiala.

Still like the Rangers pieces better.

Calgary...oof. Not sure they could afford our ask for dealing him within our division and it's not like they have some overwhelming prospect pool . Probably one of Mangiapane or Dube as cap/roster player,... then what, left D Valimaki? And then there's... Zary/Pelletier/Mackey (another lefty)...

None of that really screams "must take", particualrly for a division rival.

Minnesota makes sense for the Wild but not Vancouver.

Fiala is most certainly the main return offered up by Guerin with a secondary add -  don't see the Wild breaking the bank to get Miller or parting with top prospects given that they are in a rebuild.  He won't have the role he has in Vancouver and looks to be more of a stop-gap till Rossi can claim that spot.  Cost controlled and a C over Fiala who is RFA and a winger.  

Minnesota probably looking to get Miller to play with Boldy and then Rossi next year.  Miller would be a better fit with those top prospects to help develop them than Freddy Gaudreau who was a 4th liner/F13 for Pittsburgh last season.  

Hartman is the Wild's C1.  He leads their team in goals.  I get +/- is a team stats but he's 2nd in the league with a +31 who the Wild always highlight.  That top line with Hartman has outscored opponents 2.5 to 1.  They just work too well together to think Evason would break them up.  

Edited by mll

44 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not to turn this into another Benning thread because you guys know I would hate to do that, but both the organization and the market are sick of losing.

Trading Miller (likely for younger pieces) means we're taking another step back. Not that it isn't the right move, but that's reality.

Miller was acquired 3 years ago as a "take the next step" type of move but we've spun our wheels for the most part since then.

And I think the issues people had with Benning not capitalizing on declining assets was more from the beginning of his tenure when we should have been properly rebuilding.

All that said, in Benning's defense, looks like we're probably going to get more for him in return than what we paid... asset management? :bigblush:

Always build. Always add.

That was true when acquiring Miller for a relative song then, and it's true now when we should sell high on him for far more than what we paid, for pieces that fit the young core's window.

We did have a brief mini window with that core on their ELC/bridge deals (with Miller et al). Got one good run out of it. Now it's time to reload for THEIR primes.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why?  I thought everyone's complaint about JB was that he either let assets walk away or he didn't get full value for them?  Isn't moving valuable pieces before they decline and stick the team with an anchor contract the preferred path?

Why doesnt that apply anymore?

1) we have this and next year locked up so there is no rush unloading him 

2) he is getting better each year so the decline you speak of looks to be further out than you think

There is no rush or need to trade Miller. I have said this often, all attempts need to be made to keeping him. Unlike scoring wingers, a power forward like Miller can not be replaced. Trade only if you have to. 

I think Colorado NYR and Carolina if they want to get into the mix have the best blend of center and RHD prospects for our needs. Really these three teams get me excited about a trade. Then there’s the teams like Boston, Calgary, Minnesota and Winnipeg and I get scared because I’m not too thrilled with realistic trades coming back. A lot of interest is nice because it will turn into a 7 team bidding war. But deep down I hope it’s one of those first three teams.

Edited by flickyoursedin

27 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

1) we have this and next year locked up so there is no rush unloading him 

2) he is getting better each year so the decline you speak of looks to be further out than you think

There is no rush or need to trade Miller. I have said this often, all attempts need to be made to keeping him. Unlike scoring wingers, a power forward like Miller can not be replaced. Trade only if you have to. 

That is exactly what makes him so valuable at this year's deadline.  You miss this chance and you significantly reduce your return the day after it passes.  

I don't know about you, but I don't want a 5ish year, $9m contract for a player in his 30's.  I think it's a moot point anyway, I'd bet my bottom dollar he has no intention of re-signing in Vancouver, regardless of what they offer.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That is exactly what makes him so valuable at this year's deadline.  You miss this chance and you significantly reduce your return the day after it passes.  

I don't know about you, but I don't want a 5ish year, $9m contract for a player in his 30's.  I think it's a moot point anyway, I'd bet my bottom dollar he has no intention of re-signing in Vancouver, regardless of what they offer.

Yip. The teams that trades for JT gets two playoff runs out of him. On a value contract too boot. 

• Vintage 2

The Rangers make the most sense to me.  I don't see a great return from any of the other teams.  IF we are not making the playoffs and need to sell then Miller would be the guy we trade.  We could also trade Motte, Schenn and Hamonic if anyone wants him.

Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil, Barron and Lundkvist are the prime prospects that should be involved in any trade for Miller.  And of course their 1st round pick...

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think Colorado NYR and Carolina if they want to get into the mix have the best blend of center and RHD prospects for our needs. Really these three teams get me excited about a trade. Then there’s the teams like Boston, Calgary, Minnesota and Winnipeg and I get scared because I’m not too thrilled with realistic trades coming back. A lot of interest is nice because it will turn into a 7 team bidding war. But deep down I hope it’s one of those first three teams.

I think the teams in the east are going to create a bidding war. Because whoever acquires Miller will have bolstered their roster real good. If the rumors are true about the Rangers all in on Miller, and are attempting to acquire him, then the rest of the East in terms of playoff teams, need to also look at what they can do to bolster their chances. Tampa Bay is the favorite still, but if you stay pat, you’ll be left behind. Their championships are years past, this is this year, and they too need to do everything they can to keep pace with the rest of the teams out east. 

Who does the Rangers play if the playoffs started today? 

Cause I’d be curious what that team would do, should the Rangers successfully acquire JT. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The preds and panthers both have cap space and some good, young pieces to give up.  The best move is to play all the top teams off against each other, especially the Panthers, rags and hurricanes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Rangers make the most sense to me.  I don't see a great return from any of the other teams.  IF we are not making the playoffs and need to sell then Miller would be the guy we trade.  We could also trade Motte, Schenn and Hamonic if anyone wants him.

Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil, Barron and Lundkvist are the prime prospects that should be involved in any trade for Miller.  And of course their 1st round pick...

Me too, though if they land chycrun they're out on miller.

• Upvote 2

Always kappo as well 

Just thinking when you were naming all those prospects. How the &^@# did Benning not get better prospects considering he’s the “super scout”? 

If I’m Rutherford, I’m poaching some of their management people, especially in their scouting department. 

• Vintage 1