The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Disagree.

Panarin will be 31 next season, Kreider is already 31, and Zibanejad is 29.

That’s their core and the players that give them a window right now.

They have a couple seasons left before these guys start to exit their prime. No guarantees the next crop of young guys will be able to replace what they bring.

With Shesterkin playing out of his mind and in his prime they need to be going for it every season right now. Holding on to all their young players will only continue to ensure they’re not good enough to get past Tampa. They need veteran depth as was proven this playoffs when Kreider, Zibanejads and Panarins scoring dried up.

To me , you’ve just shown the Value in keeping Miller here.

On the other hand where a team isn’t functioning well,  and a player on that team to trade for those listed from NYR..

Mark Scheifele   still 6.2 for 2 more seasons.

Laf and Schneider would team up well with Dubois.

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Do it for Bo and the 15th.

Bo has been taking a lot of crap here for not being overly physical as a captain. It isn’t right. He is a lot more physical than Sedin, Naslund, Luongo, our last three (Oh and a name a can not write here makes it the last 4).  Gotta go all the way back to Linden to find someone comparable. 
‘He is also not that big a guy despite being built like a tank. He can’t put on too much bulk to maintain his pace. Remember he wasn’t the best skater at the beginning but fixed it through maturing physically and focusing on his technique with good coaching.  Another great reason he is captain, he sees his weaknesses and works on them. 
‘I think people underestimate what he does for the team under either Green or Bruce. He is out there for all the important faceoffs, he is on first PP and now PK. He is the only natural centre on the team. JTM is converted winger, EP will be if he matures a bit more physically but still sometimes needs to be shielded on the wing. 
‘LaF is a winger and still a bit young for the hard minutes Bo takes. Would be nice to plug some of the holes in the roster but as great as JTM was last year, Bo would leave a bigger hole in the lineup. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

When it was rumoured big changes are coming, it does seem like Miller back to NYR would make some sense, and the Rangers can afford to give up a couple of their young players and picks to make it happen. They're in "win now" mode and I suspect getting that close to the SCF has got to sting. Rangers might be willing to make a big trade to bring JT back. Would love K'Andre Miller, but I don't think the Rangers will give him up. Do not want Strome.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Perhaps I've been undervaluing Miller :rolleyes:

If the Canucks could get Lafreniere, Schneider and a 1st?  Wow. 

Yep. That is equal value. I would add.

VAN

Lafreniere

Schneider

Chytil

1st

NYR

Miller

2nd

3rd

But there are also a few players that could also be traded away.

However, the most important part is, this team is finally figuring out some chemistry between them. 

Remember how deflated and uninspired when Benning didn’t re-sign Toffoli and Tanev, and ESSpecially Markstrom.

Chemistry takes years of growing together. Putting players together every year because analytics say they should work out together, is completely discounting the human experience.

This is where I am very apprehensive to “clean house” and retool. It usually doesn’t work, and if it does, it takes half a year to get back to some sense of normality.

Edited by Me_

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Bo has been taking a lot of crap here for not being overly physical as a captain. It isn’t right. He is a lot more physical than Sedin, Naslund, Luongo, our last three (Oh and a name a can not write here makes it the last 4).  Gotta go all the way back to Linden to find someone comparable. 
‘He is also not that big a guy despite being built like a tank. He can’t put on too much bulk to maintain his pace. Remember he wasn’t the best skater at the beginning but fixed it through maturing physically and focusing on his technique with good coaching.  Another great reason he is captain, he sees his weaknesses and works on them. 
‘I think people underestimate what he does for the team under either Green or Bruce. He is out there for all the important faceoffs, he is on first PP and now PK. He is the only natural centre on the team. JTM is converted winger, EP will be if he matures a bit more physically but still sometimes needs to be shielded on the wing. 
‘LaF is a winger and still a bit young for the hard minutes Bo takes. Would be nice to plug some of the holes in the roster but as great as JTM was last year, Bo would leave a bigger hole in the lineup. 

Comparing Horvats physical play to the previous non aggressive Captains  is fair.

Bo does not compare to Linden or Smyl..

not even close.

We know what he does for this team,  but it’s short of the expectations of a Captain, and even his own ceiling as a player.

It’s a mental switch that needs to hit for him to bring that aggression out, otherwise I see him playing “safe” into his next contract.

“Safe” as in avoiding the aggressive physical aspect of the game to retire healthy after his last contract.

That is where we are going with this player, and that is the template he has created here.

Laf,  is far more physical and skilled,.  with the right leader and mentor, could be another Mark Scheifele type himself.

Horvat is not a mentor or leader for any prospect or young player we have on the Canucks.

Miller is,  an thrives on that energy showing it, and seeing it reproduced in EP Podz Hogz Burroughs Lammikko Lockwood Highmore and others , including energizing OEL is a great to see.

TENACITY , and vigorous hockey is what Miller brought to this club.

Horvat did not.

Horvat plays Sedin - like respectful.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Other than potentially Forsberg, I don't really want or expect us to be big in the free agent market though.

I would LOVE to be in on the pending RFA on a cap strapped team market though. Which equally uses up cap space. Being able to take on Dadanov and gaining guys like Roy and Hague from Vegas for instance.... Need cap space to do that too and that's a HELL of a lot better than overpaying older guys in free agency! 

Pearson and Dermott for Dadanov, Hague and Roy....?

Dickinson I don't expect will be clearing any cap though. It will likely be an underwhelming guy on another team for him in a cap in, cap out scenario, if he's moved at all. You get a disappointing guy buck that's hopefully a better fit for your roster needs/needs a change of scenery.

I'm not counting Rutherford out on moving Dickie, I mean look what he got for Hamonic. #smallmiracles 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Disagree.

Panarin will be 31 next season, Kreider is already 31, and Zibanejad is 29.

That’s their core and the players that give them a window right now.

They have a couple seasons left before these guys start to exit their prime. No guarantees the next crop of young guys will be able to replace what they bring.

With Shesterkin playing out of his mind and in his prime they need to be going for it every season right now. Holding on to all their young players will only continue to ensure they’re not good enough to get past Tampa. They need veteran depth as was proven this playoffs when Kreider, Zibanejads and Panarins scoring dried up.

Agreed, you got three 3 big contracts right at the peak. They should be going all in. They have probably seen the risks of waiting for the youth to develop after falling to Tampa. Exactly the type of team that could use a Miller.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What’s this Miller to Columbus stuff 650 has been talking about?  What do they have we want?  

They have lots 6th, 12th and 44th for intriguing picks 

young RHD prospect Boqvist 

and decent young roster fillers like Texier, Bemstrom and Robinson. 

Honestly if Columbus and or NJD are interested I would much prefer an offer they could come up with over this crap B level prospect NYR offers we keep hearing about. The only piece I kind of want from the Rangers is Laf. Schnieder seems to be held in a much higher regard making his price tag higher than he should be worth.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup... Same for Colorado IMO. How good would Miller look right now, filling in for an injured Kadri, while heading in to the final against the potentially three -peating cup champs...?

Colorado at least still had one more season before their cap gets more dicey. But THIS season they could have had Kadri AND Miller, that's not likely the case next year.

The best thing for the JT Miller market is for the three-peat to happen. Instead of the Avs paying for Lehkonen they could have probably used that package included Newhook and a future 1rst and potentially gotten JT Miller for 2 cup runs. I’m cheering for Tampa!

• Cheers 2