The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I know we are dying for RD - what about Carson Soucy or Hayden Fleury from Seattle? Not sure what it takes to get either of them but then move Miller for a 1st rounder and help up front?

I agree.

Get the best value for Miller not just based on a positional need.

There are options out there that will cost less if they get creative.

Look how well Schenn worked with Hughes. Get a younger version of him and we’ll be fine in the meantime. The lack of a RHD can be solved in time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Seriously though. If we're simply not going to get a "Schneider" (and LAK's version in Faber is already gone so the options are dwindling), who would CDC prefer? Lundkvist or Marino...

Almost wonder if I should start a pole :lol:

well, either a poll or a pole. You might get put on a pole for suggesting Lundkvist :P

Marino makes a lot of sense, but I suppose its as risky as anything else. Steady and boring is what Hughes needs imo. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Brandt Clarke is exactly that. 
As far as Marino, a High upside like a mid 20s top 4 d-man with good underlying numbers because that is what Marino is. Presumably the package would be more than Marino.  We was answering the OPs question of Lundkvist vs Marino and I don’t consider Lundkvist that high end a prospect, decent yeah but no Clarke. 

Marino is safe but thinking that he has a much more of an upside might be hopeful.

I want a D man that we can mould into that high end two way force. One that has a bit of size and nastiness to his game. That’s a big ask but that’s where the bar should be set.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree.

Look how well Schenn worked with Hughes. Get a younger version of him and we’ll be fine in the meantime. The lack of a RHD can be solved in time.

Hughes is a brilliant player so even Schenn can appear decent along side him.  But to allow Hughes to play more offensively (5 on 5) he needs a partner like he had with Tanev.  We get Hughes that partner and he is a consistent 80+ point guy.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree.

Sometimes a change of scenery is all a player needs. Juulsen is a perfect example of this - played well in his limited time with the Canucks. I think thats why it is important to try and secure another 1st rounder and possibly second rounder as there are several RD in the draft that developed properly could be that elusive partner for Hughes. ANd you bring up a great point in Schenn - he has been an excellent influence on Hughes and not afraid to stick up for the kid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Guys we should target for miller in my opinion 

Toronto Sandin Niemela Kamff

Pittsburg Poulin Oliver Joseph 

Vegas whitecloud Hague Roy

La Roy Turcotte Granz

Rangers Kakko Schiender kravtsov 

Columbus 6th pick peeke Tiex Jenner 

Devils 2nd pick Bahl Zacha smith Holtz 

We need these players back if we’re trading them miller if not we don’t trade him

15 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Guys we should target for miller in my opinion 

Toronto Sandin Niemela Kamff

Pittsburg Poulin Oliver Joseph 

Vegas whitecloud Hague Roy

La Roy Turcotte Granz

Rangers Kakko Schiender kravtsov 

Columbus 6th pick peeke Tiex Jenner 

Devils 2nd pick Bahl Zacha smith Holtz 

We need these players back if we’re trading them miller if not we don’t trade him

And what, let him walk when the season is over?

Just now, Scottydzik said:

I don’t like idea of starting season with him without deal so I think package for any those players needs be done 

You said if they can't get any of those deals then don't trade him.........and then what?

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

And what, let him walk when the season is over?

The world won’t end if we don’t trade him. We can always re-sign him. I know you won’t like that but it sure as hell would make a lot of other Canuck fans, our coach and his team happy. 

Just now, grandmaster said:

The world won’t end if we don’t trade him. We can always re-sign him. I know you won’t like that but it sure as hell would make a lot of other Canuck fans, our coach and his team happy. 

You're assuming he wants to re-sign, which is looking like he doesnt.

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Excactly we sign him and move horvat 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

If we can’t acquire the D man that we want then you don’t make the trade.

But Marino is a d man I want :lol:

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

No need to be making trades out of desperation. If that perfect Hughes partner isn’t available now we wait until next offseason.

The trade return doesn't have to be the perfect Hughes partner. While that would certainly be nice, it's too limiting. Even if Marino turns out to be better with say OEL, it's still a top roster need, getting younger, shedding cap, etc etc..

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That decision is crucial and needs to be a long term solution and not just based on who happens to be available at the current moment.

Agreed! So Marino it is! :P

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

You're assuming he wants to re-sign, which is looking like he doesnt.

based on what? we really don't have much info either way, publicly PA/JR have said many times they'd like to try to keep him. Miller says he wants to stay. We've heard nothing to the contrary. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Not even close to similar production and you’re gonna be paying just as much. Garland has been a consistent 40-50 point producer the last three seasons while Mikayev just broke out last season.

You’re also hoping that he can score as much on a weaker offensive team. Hard pass for me.

I'd be hoping he'd goal differential as much (while bringing some other much needed elements to the roster, that Garland doesn't)

That's not the same as scoring as much. But just as effective.

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

He ranked top 10 in shots and scoring chances against well being plus 11 and top in 10 hits 

I’m assuming you mean he ranked top 10 in preventing shots against and scoring chances against on a PER 60 basis but if that’s our barometer for top 4 -raw on-ice stats unadjusted for team strength or quality of competition- why not sign Ian Cole? He had equally good numbers and will cost a lot less. 

or trade for Conor Clifton or Marcus Pettersson or Derek forbort. All 3 could be had for very little and all 3 had similar on-ice defensive numbers. 

reality is Zadorov, while strong and good with his stick and good at blocking shots, has poor transition play and negative value offensive play. Canucks NEED pick movers. It’s the main thing Rutherford indemnified as a problem with this team is their inability to break the puck out. Zadorov does not help in this regard and paying him 4+ million to essentially be a #4 defensive Dman is poor use of the Canucks cap and roster space 

• Like 1