The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

50 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The thing is most of the people I also see talking bad about him are NJD fans. They talk about him a lot in the ways we talk about Dickinson. I’m just not wanting another bottom 6 winger that’s looking to make 3.5 million. They say he’s big but plays soft and can’t win faceoffs so while listed as a Center plays the wing. We can’t waste cap space by spending so much on meh bottom 6 pieces.

Completely agree. But I think they talk about him like we talked about Jake. All the potential in the world but just doesn't have the drive to be that player consistently.

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

624 pages. What is this, the God thread?

The way I've seen some folks around here mythologize him and his "leadership" you'd think so. 

Church of Pettersson? More like cult of Miller. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd say Rathbone is the more redundant one...

(And no, that doesn't mean I don't like him, before everyone jumps down my throat).

Bahl is a better fit for sure, but Rathbone is already here. Trading for Bahl means we're forced into moving Rathbone, who has a one way contract, and if the rest of the league has done their homework, they'll know this. Not to mention Rathbone's value is likely only going to raise over the next year or two as he acclimates to the league. We'd be selling low on him.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Bahl is a better fit for sure, but Rathbone is already here. Trading for Bahl means we're forced into moving Rathbone, who has a one way contract, and if the rest of the league has done their homework, they'll know this. Not to mention Rathbone's value is likely only going to raise over the next year or two as he accumulates to the league. We'd be selling low on him.

I'd be up for a swap of the 2 to be honest.

• Cheers 1

Bahl is a better fit for sure, but Rathbone is already here. Trading for Bahl means we're forced into moving Rathbone, who has a one way contract, and if the rest of the league has done their homework, they'll know this. Not to mention Rathbone's value is likely only going to raise over the next year or two as he accumulates to the league. We'd be selling low on him.

Rathbone can pass through waivers at any time all season long. 1 way contracts only matter as far as waivers in EA sports world.

That being said I think it's time for him to sink or swim this year.

Sure, but the point is that I'm not willing to use our best trade chip on our left side when our left side is already cramped as it is.

That's fair; I'd also want to make a move to shore up the right side, preferably someone like Marino:

OEL-Marino

Hughes-Schenn

Bahl-Myers

Dermott

That's a group I can live with.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair; I'd also want to make a move to shore up the right side, preferably someone like Marino:

OEL-Marino

Hughes-Schenn

Bahl-Myers

Dermott

That's a group I can live with.

I'm pretty hot on Marino myself. Ideally we'd be able to move someone like Garland for him straight up, although I think ultimately Miller is going to be going to Pittsburgh for a package including Marino, their 2023 first and a prospect or something. 

Assuming Miller is moved, and assuming Schneider is still off the table from NYR, I'd like to move Miller to Boston in a deal for Carlo as well. I'd keep Rathbone for now and let him accumulate more value playing with Schenn on the third pairing, occasionally playing up in the lineup when Hughes or OEL are injured, before moving him on a year or two. I'd try to move on from Myers as well, as a third pairing D shouldn't be getting paid 6 million dollars.

Hughes- Carlo

OEL- Marino

Rathbone- Schenn

Dermott

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm pretty hot on Marino myself. Ideally we'd be able to move someone like Garland for him straight up, although I think ultimately Miller is going to be going to Pittsburgh for a package including Marino, their 2023 first and a prospect or something. 

Assuming Miller is moved, and assuming Schneider is still off the table from NYR, I'd like to move Miller to Boston in a deal for Carlo as well. I'd keep Rathbone for now and let him accumulate more value playing with Schenn on the third pairing, occasionally playing up in the lineup when Hughes or OEL are injured, before moving him on a year or two. I'd try to move on from Myers as well, as a third pairing D shouldn't be getting paid 6 million dollars.

Hughes- Carlo

OEL- Marino

Rathbone- Schenn

Dermott

lol rathbone ain't gonna accumulate more value coz he's going to rarely play up the lineup.. Hughes and OEL have been very durable especially hughes given his size.. and i'm not a fan of spending even more on the cap on defense.. we already have the 2nd most expensive defense at 25mil.. take out myer.. add in carlo and marino? we'll be closer to 28-29mil in cap putting us #1 in the league.. and that's on top of poolmans 2.5mil that needs to be moved.. u ain't gonna convince a guy to stay on LTIR if he can play.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol rathbone ain't gonna accumulate more value coz he's going to rarely play up the lineup.. Hughes and OEL have been very durable especially hughes given his size.. and i'm not a fan of spending even more on the cap on defense.. we already have the 2nd most expensive defense at 25mil.. take out myer.. add in carlo and marino? we'll be closer to 28-29mil in cap putting us #1 in the league.. and that's on top of poolmans 2.5mil that needs to be moved.. u ain't gonna convince a guy to stay on LTIR if he can play.

Management obviously disagrees with your assessment of Rathbone, otherwise they wouldn't have given him the contract they did.

As far as the blueline is concerned, what you've failed to take into account is the fact that our entire top 4, 3 of which would be 25 years old or younger, would all be under contract until 2027. Taking league wide inflation into account, that expensive blueline isn't going to look so expensive in a few years. Not to mention that, considering their age, Hughes, Marino and Carlo would all be easily movable if we decided we wanted to shed salary off of our blueline. In the short term, we've shed over 10 million is salary from our forward group. 

Bottom line is that our blueline needs a complete overhaul, and yeah, we're going to have to fork over some money to do it because, unfortunately, we don't have any prospects (other than Rathbone, who you apparently don't want to play) to fill the void.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The way I've seen some folks around here mythologize him and his "leadership" you'd think so. 

Church of Pettersson? More like cult of Miller. 

No myth my friend. Guy is a great leader.

Not a cult either.  This thread has been 80 percent of.....'ooooh, what could we get for him? lets go shopping!'

It's more like a fantasy/proposal circle jerk. With some smart folks like myself saying to hold your horses and pointing out what JT Miller brings is tough to find.

Anyway, I still hope he stays but to play along with the thread theme for the first time...getting the 2OA + would be a hell of a great return. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Management obviously disagrees with your assessment of Rathbone, otherwise they wouldn't have given him the contract they did.

As far as the blueline is concerned, what you've failed to take into account is the fact that our entire top 4, 3 of which would be 25 years old or younger, would all be under contract until 2027. Taking league wide inflation into account, that expensive blueline isn't going to look so expensive in a few years. Not to mention that, considering their age, Hughes, Marino and Carlo would all be easily movable if we decided we wanted to shed salary off of our blueline. In the short term, we've shed over 10 million is salary from our forward group. 

Bottom line is that our blueline needs a complete overhaul, and yeah, we're going to have to fork over some money to do it because, unfortunately, we don't have any prospects (other than Rathbone, who you apparently don't want to play) to fill the void.

yes the blueline won't be so expensive in a few years depending on how much the salary cap goes up by.. but until the salary goes up enough.. a good chunk of our salary cap is occupied by the defense leaving no depth on forwards.. so what are we going to be doing until the salary cap goes up enough?? and what are we doing with forwards? we'll need at least a top 6 i don't see Bruce utilizing hoglander as a top 6.. and we fill the bottom 6 with fringe players? we are lucky cause we managed to get kuzmenko for league minimum.. if we didn't our top 6/9 will look even worse. literally 1 injury to any of the top 6 forwards and it'll be devastating to the team. the salary going up will literally just be enough to cover horvat's salary raise and EP's salary raise in couple years..

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No myth my friend. Guy is a great leader.

Not a cult either.  This thread has been 80 percent of.....'ooooh, what could we get for him? lets go shopping!'

It's more like a fantasy/proposal circle jerk. With some smart folks like myself saying to hold your horses and pointing out what JT Miller brings is tough to find.

Anyway, I still hope he stays but to play along with the thread theme for the first time...getting the 2OA + would be a hell of a great return. 

Miller is a 90+ point power forward, who plays wing and centre.  Of course he’s a special player, that hard to find.  That’s not the reason for trading him.  We would trade him because he’s going to be 30 when his next contract starts.  There is a very high chance those aspects of his game that make him special will drop off during the exact time our younger key core guys are leading the group and laying their best.  And can we have an aging Miller, who is not providing those things that made him special, eating up our highest cap amount and still be able to support those younger key core guys well enough to compete for a Cup?  

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

yes the blueline won't be so expensive in a few years depending on how much the salary cap goes up by.. but until the salary goes up enough.. a good chunk of our salary cap is occupied by the defense leaving no depth on forwards.. so what are we going to be doing until the salary cap goes up enough?? and what are we doing with forwards? we'll need at least a top 6 i don't see Bruce utilizing hoglander as a top 6.. and we fill the bottom 6 with fringe players? we are lucky cause we managed to get kuzmenko for league minimum.. if we didn't our top 6/9 will look even worse. literally 1 injury to any of the top 6 forwards and it'll be devastating to the team. the salary going up will literally just be enough to cover horvat's salary raise and EP's salary raise in couple years..

15 million for OEL and Hughes is set for five more years.

The rest of our D costs will be fluid.

How much should we allocate to D?  25-30 million?

So that’s 10-15 million for the other 5 guys.

Myers at 6 mil has to go, and the sooner the better.

We trade for Marino + 

Then we’ve committed 20 million to three D.

We need a younger D man, who is on a second contract earning less than four mil, who can play top four.  I think that’s why JR wants Schneider so much.  

Two premium assets should be the compensation for JT Miller based on the report on the site "pucksandpitchforks" :

first proposal:   Alexander Holtz and Jersey's  2nd overall pick 2022

sec. proposal:  Bratt and Jersey's unprotected   1st round pick 2023

On top of that, the Canucks are going to ask for everything the Devils don’t consider untouchable. That includes Alex Holtz, Dawson Mercer, Jesper Bratt, Damon Severson, the second-overall pick, and their unprotected 2023 first-round pick.

full report is here:

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2022/07/04/latest-j-t-miller-rumors-new-jersey-devils-going-dangerous-path/

• Like 1