The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Reality is our only good trade partners for Miller are going to be to a team that's willing to bet the entire farm on winning this year, or a total bottom feeder that needs a star center to build around (so we can get a 1st round pick that is actually useful instead of #32). 

The trade you proposed with Minessota is fair - makes them a lot better in the short term and likely worse in the long term, and us a lot worse in the short term but likely significantly better in the long term (Boldy is doing great in the NHL already and in a few years has a decent chance of providing JT Miller value alone). 

That was DeNiro's proposal, but I doubt Minny is looking to sell their two best young prospects and a 1st for an aging Miller who will want a large payday in 1.5 years for a lengthy time. Let's not forget they just bought out Parise and Suter and those caps are on their books for many years to come. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s a prospect.

Any value you’re attaching to him is hype.

Miller is an actual NHL player putting up 1st line points.

How people undervalue our players and overhype other teams prospects I’ll never understand…

Not just a 1st liner putting up those requisite points but can play all three forward positions.  That has to have added value.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

That was DeNiro's proposal, but I doubt Minny is looking to sell their two best young prospects and a 1st for an aging Miller who will want a large payday in 1.5 years for a lengthy time. Let's not forget they just bought out Parise and Suter and those caps are on their books for many years to come. 

Yeah I re-read your thoughts and generally I think you're right. It really is predicated on a team wanting to bet the farm on winning it all this year. I could see New York wanting to give it a go but I dont think the main pieces theyd want to trade are that good. No thanks to Chytil and Lafreniere. 

41 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Chytil + Schneider + 1st

For

Miller + Rathbone 

Chytil has the value of like a 3rd round pick has 11pts in 40 games... At 22 isn't looking like of real value.

Schneider is a prospect. Sure there is some huge but there was also hype with Patrick, Glass, Virtanen and Ritchie.

1st rounder - 20+ is good but its a late first.

We need one of KK or AL + Schneider. No scraps  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

My response was towards the following proposals from DeNiro:

From New York it starts with Lafreniere or Kakko, Schnieder or Kravstov, and a 1st.

From Minnesota it’s Boldy, Rossi, and a 1st.

I would be shocked if NY or Minny give up these guys for Miller. I just don't see these teams willing to overpay and go all in. I would love it if they did, but NY isn't giving Laf or Kakko with Schneider and a 1st - the Schneider, Chytil, 1st is much more realistic. 

I also feel DN doesn't know enough of Boldy and Rossi to see that Minny won't give up both plus a 1st. Both proposals are if these teams (same as his Colorado proposal) are really feeling desperate to sell their top prospects and a a 1st for a run, and I'mnot so sure they are. Plus, Miller is also going to demand a huge raise that these teams likely won't want to pay, same as us, so he could even be considered a 1.5 year rental. 

We can afford to lock in Miller by shedding some cap, but it's still up in the air if our team is in the right spot to lock in an almost 30yo for 6, 7, or 8 years at a high cap hit. It's likely that Allvin & Co see Miller as aging out with our young team, and other teams know this, which is why I don't see DN's proposals as realistic, unless they are okay with overpaying those high prices. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd do any of his proposals he made for Minny, NY, and Colorado.

Minnesota offers we should include that Beckman kid! He was a 3rd round pick in 2019 and almost made their team out of camp. He’s a B level prospect I also include with Boldy and a 1rst.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the original NY & Tampa trade: it didn't age well for the Rags - so far but there is still, the two lottery tickets that are still developing.  

Hoping Allvin, knocks his moves out of the part - or atleast, most of the moves.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There are quotes from Mackinnon stating he’s willing to take a friendly deal on his next contract in order to help the Avs win. 

“We have guys that we wouldn’t (otherwise) be able to bring in,” MacKinnon said. “On my next deal, I’ll take less again. Because I want to win with this group.”

Mackinnon is arguably the 2nd best player in the league and 10.5 would have him payed as tied for 8th highest. He could probably get 12 million a year so 10.5 is the discount. If he takes even less I doubt it’s by much. I was going on the low side that it will at least be 10.5 I would think. They really have to make their push within these two years arguably now while they also have Kadri at 4.5 million producing like he is now.

42 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

My response was towards the following proposals from DeNiro:

From New York it starts with Lafreniere or Kakko, Schnieder or Kravstov, and a 1st.

From Minnesota it’s Boldy, Rossi, and a 1st.

I would be shocked if NY or Minny give up these guys for Miller. I just don't see these teams willing to overpay and go all in. I would love it if they did, but NY isn't giving Laf or Kakko with Schneider and a 1st - the Schneider, Chytil, 1st is much more realistic. 

I also feel DN doesn't know enough of Boldy and Rossi to see that Minny won't give up both plus a 1st. Both proposals are if these teams (same as his Colorado proposal) are really feeling desperate to sell their top prospects and a a 1st for a run, and I'mnot so sure they are. Plus, Miller is also going to demand a huge raise that these teams likely won't want to pay, same as us, so he could even be considered a 1.5 year rental. 

We can afford to lock in Miller by shedding some cap, but it's still up in the air if our team is in the right spot to lock in an almost 30yo for 6, 7, or 8 years at a high cap hit. It's likely that Allvin & Co see Miller as aging out with our young team, and other teams know this, which is why I don't see DN's proposals as realistic, unless they are okay with overpaying those high prices. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd do any of his proposals he made for Minny, NY, and Colorado.

I absolutely agree about Minnesota, but NYR and Col both have far more of a need for Miller than they do currently untested or unproven prospects.  In NYR's case, that blue line is a gift from Orr.  In Colorado's case, it's the same thing.  Both have prospects they can capably shed because of who they have currently playing under the contracts they are playing with.

I firmly believe we COULD fit in Miller at 8.5 million as it's only a 3.25 million increase and by the end of next season we'll actually have shed some dead space in regards to cap space with the loss of Holtby and Virtanen at $2.4 million, a total of $10.4 million in cap space and Myers on the last year of his deal.  Not even including of course LTIR etc.

IO dare say keeping him won't be nearly as hard as some suggest as the following year we'd have $33 million in cap space as the current math states.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Chytil has the value of like a 3rd round pick has 11pts in 40 games... At 22 isn't looking like of real value.

Schneider is a prospect. Sure there is some huge but there was also hype with Patrick, Glass, Virtanen and Ritchie.

1st rounder - 20+ is good but its a late first.

Yes if we are trading JT Miller who is a superstar on a bargain contract. NO projects! we need legit NHL ready players. I'd be looking at a top young RD not Schneider who i see as a top 4 at best. Laf + Trouba + picks or Adam Fox back or they can F off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Newhook, Byram, and a 1st from the Avs.

Retention on Miller and Motte if that’s what it takes.

Those are the only prices JR needs to be looking at though.

Newhook, Barron, Ranta and 23 1st

29 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Chytil's value is probable not far off Hoglander (with more size and a better 2 way game). Would you trade Hoglander for a 3rd?

We don't need KK or AL. I'd happily take Cythil, Schneider, 1st and Barron. If we could get Othmann over Barron, even better.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Newhook, Barron, Ranta and 23 1st

Chytil's value is probable not far off Hoglander (with more size and a better 2 way game). Would you trade Hoglander for a 3rd?

We don't need KK or AL. I'd happily take Cythil, Schneider, 1st and Barron. If we could get Othmann over Barron, even better.

Maybe for Brock Boeser who I'd rather trade, but 4 projects for a superstar C I'd be pretty disappointed in that return imo

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Looking at the original NY & Tampa trade: it didn't age well for the Rags - so far but there is still, the two lottery tickets that are still developing.  

Hoping Allvin, knocks his moves out of the part - or atleast, most of the moves.

Exactly this is why you don't trade established stars for lottery tickets. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I absolutely agree about Minnesota, but NYR and Col both have far more of a need for Miller than they do currently untested or unproven prospects.  In NYR's case, that blue line is a gift from Orr.  In Colorado's case, it's the same thing.  Both have prospects they can capably shed because of who they have currently playing under the contracts they are playing with.

I firmly believe we COULD fit in Miller at 8.5 million as it's only a 3.25 million increase and by the end of next season we'll actually have shed some dead space in regards to cap space with the loss of Holtby and Virtanen at $2.4 million, a total of $10.4 million in cap space and Myers on the last year of his deal.  Not even including of course LTIR etc.

IO dare say keeping him won't be nearly as hard as some suggest as the following year we'd have $33 million in cap space as the current math states.

Problem is that Miller's contract will take him to at least 36, maybe 37 or 38. And, we still have Brock, Bo, Petey, Hogz, etc. to re-up. Sure Myers comes of the books, but we need to replace him with a top RHD when he does, so its not like his cap can just be spent re-upping others. I'm definitely not the guy to go into depth on cap situations, but I'd love to see someone break it down on how we fit them in while replacing Myers, and basically creating a contender with Miller in the lineup at his cap, length, and age. Personally, I don't see it. We need picks and prospects, and Miller is the guy that fits the best profile for getting us the biggest haul.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Problem is that Miller's contract will take him to at least 36, maybe 37 or 38. And, we still have Brock, Bo, Petey, Hogz, etc. to re-up. Sure Myers comes of the books, but we need to replace him with a top RHD when he does, so its not like his cap can just be spent re-upping others. I'm definitely not the guy to go into depth on cap situations, but I'd love to see someone break it down on how we fit them in while replacing Myers, and basically creating a contender with Miller in the lineup at his cap, length, and age. Personally, I don't see it. We need picks and prospects, and Miller is the guy that fits the best profile for getting us the biggest haul.

You sir are bang on.

I'm firmly in the trade him when the offer is right category

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Reality is our only good trade partners for Miller are going to be to a team that's willing to bet the entire farm on winning this year, or a total bottom feeder that needs a star center to build around (so we can get a 1st round pick that is actually useful instead of #32). 

The trade you proposed with Minessota is fair - makes them a lot better in the short term and likely worse in the long term, and us a lot worse in the short term but likely significantly better in the long term (Boldy is doing great in the NHL already and in a few years has a decent chance of providing JT Miller value alone). 

Rags

Avs

Canes

Panthers

Preds

All contenders, all with cap space, all with some great young players.  The trick will be to play them all off against each other.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Why is there any reason to trade Miller right now? Why not next season? 

He provides amazing value for his contract - which for now is good for our cap situation. He says he wants to stay. He's a great leader of this team, and I don't want them to mess too much with our dynamic right now. Imagine the jubilation this group would feel if they actually managed to play like this through to a playoff spot? And the experience of playoff hockey for our younger guys?

I get the reasoning for trading Miller. We don't need an anchor down the road. And he's looking better than ever so his value is highest. If it isn't too long term or some ridiculous ask, I'd be happy to see him stay. Has there been too much media noise already to keep that an option?

If we must trade him, it needs to be for a stud defenseman imo. I'd like Schenn to stay in the lineup, but he's clearly not a 1b guy.