The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

The funny thing is Calgary may end up losing Johnny Hockey for nothing and I would argue he has more trade value than JT. Worse case at the TDL we move him for what he cost us which is a 1st rounder - I am ok with that as it gives us another pick and cap space for Bo

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Or god forbid he gets injured before the deadline.

True. Or EP breaks his wrist. Or QH blows a tire. Or Podz gets severely concussed. Or Demko’s groin gets permanently damaged. Or Boeser steps backwards. Or Bo decides to become an astronaut.

so many what ifs regarding our valuable pieces that could disable our future.

JTM is no different from anyone else.

he’s as much a similar asset as anyone else when considering injury or circumstance as a rationale.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What's the difference lol. At least he tried and failed. Rather than do nothing and fail.

I feel ya, but it's only been 6 months. The transgressions of the JB regime don't translate to the new one. Think Sakic and Duchene, patience. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm a little less worried about the distraction part. Was it a distraction for Calgary having lil Jonny not extended? maybe a little? 

While they were in first place? I doubt it. I never heard about. Most players and teams put that on the shelf until the offseason ... when they're winning. Otherwise, and especially in our case it's a nightmare. That will be the story all year long instead of focusing on the hockey part. Also puts a tonne of pressure on these guys to perform.

Just imagine the media and how fun it will be if JT and/or the team slumps a bit at the start of the year. Total circus.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

I feel ya, but it's only been 6 months. The transgressions of the JB regime don't translate to the new one. Think Sakic and Duchene, patience. 

This! And Yzerman’s patience and due dilligence too.

Edited by RWJC

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

True. Or EP breaks his wrist. Or QH blows a tire. Or Podz gets severely concussed. Or Demko’s groin gets permanently damaged. Or Boeser steps backwards. Or Bo decides to become an astronaut.

so many what ifs regarding our valuable pieces that could disable our future.

JTM is no different from anyone else.

he’s as much a similar asset as anyone else when considering injury or circumstance as a rationale.

The difference being that Miller is on an expiring contract and set to become a UFA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One has to wonder if this team would be stronger now if EP and QH didn't come straight out of the gates like stars.  Hey, I'll take that scenario, but if they took a couple of years more to evolve, perhaps we'd have 2-4 more high end prospects.  A team pretty much has to really suck badly for 5 years while not being Edmonton or Arizona.  

4 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Trading miller at the deadline when the team's potential in a playoff race could be quite demoralizing for the team wouldn't it?

Gotta be done before seasons start

Would our owner allow a TDL deal that clearly makes it harder for him to get butts in seats down the stretch and lose potential playoff revenue?  IMHAO it was our owner who stopped Amy Miller Trade before the 2022 TDL, when Friedman Tweeted that Miller was off the market.  

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He has a year remaining at only 5.25 mil.

that is worth a TON to the right teams.

even as a playoff rental at the deadline where cap is tight. 

Yeah depends the season he has and what other rentals are out there.

He is for sure worth more in a trade where the team can re-sign him.

After hearing of the Gaudreau offer from CGY, I'm thinking Miller may want something similar. $9 x 8?  I don't think VAN wants to go beyond 6 years. Maybe they settle on $10 x 6.

Ridiculous

Gonna guess that no offer will be good enough for them to trade Miller, and he either re-signs by the TDL or he's traded then.  Would be a tough thing to do if they're contending for a playoff spot. I sure hope they know what they're doing. 

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The difference being that Miller is on an expiring contract and set to become a UFA.

For sure, I understand that.
Bo is going to need a new contract at end of this season. Should we trade him now because negotiations might go south and he could potentially get injured this year.

what about any other player/GM in a similar predicament elsewhere? All I’m saying is the league doesn’t necessarily operate with potential injury as a primary motivator to make trades or ink contracts.

at the end of the day, there is also no obligation that we have to trade JTM to anyone. Personally I’m totally in the boat that we should, but none of us know what is transpiring behind the scenes with respect to either mgmt or JTM and his agent.

38 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What's the difference lol. At least he tried and failed. Rather than do nothing and fail.

I'm trying not to panic but I'm not enjoying this either. It kind of feels like they're coming to this realization that we're screwed and it's impossible to do anything. Uggg lol uggg

I think the message is they're burning a year if they have to.

1 hour ago, Screw said:

Should we open up with flying a “Fire Rutherford/Allvin” banner?  

Perhaps toss in some meddling ownership rants too.    

CDC…. Home, Sweet Home.

Nope, I'm just judging them on what they do, or don't do in this case.  I have nothing against them, personally, and if they start actually doing something then I'll judge them on that.

On the eve of free agency they've done absolutely nothing to improve this club, despite them saying that big changes are needed.

• Cheers 4

I get the sense that teams might think JT’s 99 points was an anomaly. If there are no offers worth biting on before the season starts, just watch JT hit 90+ points again. And then pull a Gaudreau at free agency….when we don’t trade him because we are in a playoff race or holding a playoff spot.

There is danger here because JT might just want to flat out play in the states. If so, I hope he’s been open to the Canucks about these wishes. What you really don’t want is word of this leaking out to other teams. And maybe that’s another part of the reason why teams aren’t offering much -  they have a heads up that the Canucks are in a weakened negotiation position. Reading between the lines, and listening to JR today it doesn’t sound great to me that they have much of a chance of extending JT. This is all baseless speculation on my part…gut feelings here.

This is going to be fascinating to follow. Already is I suppose.

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

For sure, I understand that.
Bo is going to need a new contract at end of this season. Should we trade him now because negotiations might go south and he could potentially get injured this year.

what about any other player/GM in a similar predicament elsewhere? All I’m saying is the league doesn’t necessarily operate with potential injury as a primary motivator to make trades or ink contracts.

at the end of the day, there is also no obligation that we have to trade JTM to anyone. Personally I’m totally in the boat that we should, but none of us know what is transpiring behind the scenes with respect to either mgmt or JTM and his agent.

Management seems pretty confident that Bo will be resigned. The same can't be said for Miller. And I never said that injury potential was would bent he sole motivator for either trading Miller or getting him resigned before the season starts, but it is something that needs to be considered. If management is too "patient" with Miller, and he just so happens to take an injury before the TDL, then that's a disaster and a massive fail for management. Then we're forced to either compete with the rest of the league to try and sign him to an ugly UFA contract, or let him walk away for nothing. Neither scenario is acceptable.

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what futures were you OK burning to make the cap space? 

i dunno you guys are the one that keeps talking about moving pearson and myers for picks i mean pearson will probably be moved out anyways eventually i like pearson but JR doesn't. and possibly use those picks u get from pearson and myers to move dickinson and poolman?