The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yep as soon as reality hits next year his trade value will drop but so will his contract value. It's in his best interest to get it done now.

Not to mention if there’s 40-50 million dollars on the table you take it.

Any agent will tell you the length of an NHL career is not guaranteed. Career ending injuries could strike at any time and then you’re left with nothing.

Give him his big signing bonuses and take the guaranteed money.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We're in a good position to at least contend though:

Edmonton still lacks defence and goaltending, and relies on two guys for all of their offence, both of whom are locker room cancers.

Calgary is losing their best player and overachieved badly last year.  They also lack leadership and their top player has serious character issues

LA is on the rise, likely division champs

Vegas could rebound but their new coach is probably not a good fit there.

Anaheim is rebuilding, a few years away

San Jose is a mess

Seattle has nothing

The only group in there that likely makes the playoffs for sure is LA.  The rest of the division is up for grabs and could be even weaker this year.

I don't necessarily agree with your analysis of some of our division rivals but I do agree with you that we should 'be in the mix'.  Despite what I pointed out earlier about our second half in my previous post, we were undoubtedly better in the 2nd half than the first. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would also offer him 8, as long as its proportional. 

10m yr1 Full NMC

10m yr2 Full NMC

8m yr3 Full NMC

7m yr4 NTC, submits 15 team no trade

7m yr5 NTC, submits 15 team no trade

6m yr6 NTC, submits 10 team no trade

6m yr7 NTC, submits 10 team no trade

6m yr8 NTC, submits 5 team no trade

60 million, 7.5 million hit.

Takes him to 38, or until he reaches a believable LTIR.

Starts 23/24 season when we have a 83.5 million cap. Ends 31/32 season when the cap should be in the 92 - 94 million range. 

I'm sure there are a lot of you who wouldn't do that, but you can't build forever, sooner or later you have to commit to a core and start building support pieces around them, same as we did to get to the cup final in 2011.

I would personally take that deal all day long on Miller. 

Yeah I've been trying out JT Player Name for a bit now. It has a nice ring to it. Just have to wait for 4 years for CDC to update it automatically. It kind of sucks cause Miller is way easier to type. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

Chit chat was(and it was just chit chat/speculation) that if Malkin went to market, that Florida could be a likely landing spot. Most because Gino has a home in Florida. But if the Panthers were going to pursue Gino, hoping they could land him for that exact reason. Now that he has stayed with Pit, maybe Florida decided to put an offer in for Miller. Especially with a lot of there eastern competitors attempting to beef themselves up. There window is now. 

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

He doesn't fit our team. He will shoot from the blue line rather than passing it to a wide open pettersson. 

Sometimes he shoots from the blueline, but he also goes hard to the net and drives the play with his size and spends time in front of the net on power play. He's also one of only 2 guys who has won a Stanley Cup on the team, the other being Schenn, although Schenn was in a much more limited role than Pearson who averaged .5 points per game in the season he won the cup with the Kings. That's the same point total he averaged last season, which if you look around the NHL, you'll find a LOT of guys making the same with lower averages and who don't have the coaches trust to play in ALL situations.

You might want to watch this because, I think you're thinking of a different player....

Edited by VegasCanuck
spelling correction
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Nope, I'm just judging them on what they do, or don't do in this case.  I have nothing against them, personally, and if they start actually doing something then I'll judge them on that.

On the eve of free agency they've done absolutely nothing to improve this club, despite them saying that big changes are needed.

I like the moving Hamonic, Dermott look good from his brief appearance.  They went to the wall to sign the top KHL prize.   

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

Sometimes he shoots from the blueline, but he also goes hard to the net and drives the play with his size and spends time in front of the net on power play. He's also one of one 2 guys who has won a Stanley Cup on the team, the other being Schenn, although Schenn was in a much more limited role than Pearson who averaged .5 points per game in the season he won the cup with the Kings. That's the same point total he averaged last season, which if you look around the NHL, you'll find a LOT of guys making the same with lower averages and who don't have the coaches trust to play in ALL situations.

You might want to watch this because, I think you're thinking of a different player....

Pearson is absolutely an annual unsung hero candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather have say Marino and Lyubushkin for the same cap hit as Myers (+ the displaced 8D) personally.

Yeah it pushes Dermott and Burroughs (If here) to 7/8 with Dermott still a young guy able to jump in on either side. I like it.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Screw said:

I like the moving Hamonic, Dermott look good from his brief appearance.  They went to the wall to sign the top KHL prize.   

Not exactly the kinds of moves needed for an org that needs big changes.  

With Gaudreau walking away from Calgary, I wonder if they get interested in JT Miller. A high scoring left winger. 
They are clearly familiar with Canuck players. 

Pelletier being a focus for the Canucks.

Not saying I want it, would suck to see him thrive in that red jersey. Just thinking of possible outcomes. 

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Anyone who considers Pearson a cap dump hasn't been paying attention. He's absolutely worth his contract.

I like Pearson but with the winger depth, he's a prime candidate for a hockey trade precisely because he does have value.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Dutch_Canuck said:

With Gaudreau walking away from Calgary, I wonder if they get interested in JT Miller. A high scoring left winger. 
They are clearly familiar with Canuck players. 

Pelletier being a focus for the Canucks.

Not saying I want it, would suck to see him thrive in that red jersey. Just thinking of possible outcomes. 

Rasmus Andersson would need to be the focus for that to work.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

We're in a good position to at least contend though:

Edmonton still lacks defence and goaltending, and relies on two guys for all of their offence, both of whom are locker room cancers.

Calgary is losing their best player and overachieved badly last year.  They also lack leadership and their top player has serious character issues

LA is on the rise, likely division champs

Vegas could rebound but their new coach is probably not a good fit there.

Anaheim is rebuilding, a few years away

San Jose is a mess

Seattle has nothing

The only group in there that likely makes the playoffs for sure is LA.  The rest of the division is up for grabs and could be even weaker this year.

Lol I can't stand the Oilers either but how are mcdrai locker room cancers?

If Edmonton gets some depth and a goalie, they are right up there.

I agree with the rest of your post though

This is my guess as to what will happen in free agency. 

Canucks will target a higher level winger perhaps Domi. This will push Dickinson and perhaps Pearson to the fourth line thus  the thinking behind  not qualifying Highmore and Lammikko.

Edited by Screw