The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

39 minutes ago, shiznak said:

It takes two to tango. 

People keep on saying, just dump Dickinson, Pearson, Myers, etc and there’s your cap space to re-sign Miller.

But those guys aren’t exactly hot commodities, unless you’re attaching a first round pick. 

This is how i feel about getting a great return on Miller (at times)

Miller is like having a Fast exotic expensive muscle car when the economy is good and people are spending, and then a recession hits, interest rates are up and fuel prices go insane and then you lose your job and need to sell the car, but by then there are less people who can afford to buy and the ones that can want a great bargain and offer you less than what the cars value actually is

It will come down to if the Canucks want to invest long term in him and IF Miller wants to resign with the Canucks

If Miller is willing to resign with a team we trade him too, but if he is only a 1 yr rental i think the returns are less than if he will resign with the team taking him

What do the Canucks do if they have him unsigned starting the season?

I can't see them  wanting the distraction all season of an unsigned Miller

I can't see them trading him at the deadline if we are making the playoffs

What if he has a normal year and loses value (doubtful when playing for a new contract and wanting to pick his location to play)

What if you keep him knowing that he won't resign  (like Gaudreau) and were hoping to trade him at trade deadline but gets hurt?

In this scenario if he plays the season with the Canucks

I think if we make the playoffs, we will lose him for nothing

If we don't make the playoffs we take the best offer (even though it may be underwhelming, knowing we won't have him much longer anyways)

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

in what time frame?  Trade deadline 2022?  Draft?  Free agency etc?  Everytime a window passes them buy, the plan has to change as the opportunities diminish.  What I think they should have done at the tdl isn't what I think they should have done at the draft and what I think they should have done at the draft isn't the same as what I think they need to do now.

What I do know is that they are doing nothing, at all.

For them "to do" anything it means another team also has to.

They don't control that. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

in what time frame?  Trade deadline 2022?  Draft?  Free agency etc?  Everytime a window passes them buy, the plan has to change as the opportunities diminish.  What I think they should have done at the tdl isn't what I think they should have done at the draft and what I think they should have done at the draft isn't the same as what I think they need to do now.

What I do know is that they are doing nothing, at all.

Sure, from right now then please

Just now, Pbhatti00 said:

Allivin and Rutherford just sitting, watching ...depressing.  

Their hands were tied by the Benning contracts.  Can’t do anything significant to change the group until clearing out some of those toxic contracts.  Can’t move those contracts without adding assets.  Don’t have assets to add.  Thank Benning. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Their hands were tied by the Benning contracts.  Can’t do anything significant to change the group until clearing out some of those toxic contracts.  Can’t move those contracts without adding assets.  Don’t have assets to add.  Thank Benning. 

Yep. I think everyone has to keep directing the anger at the ones responsible. They (Betting/unweisbrod) really were just terrible at constructing contracts and negotiating. Just awful. It is what it is. Every other team sees the problems the players that we want to get rid has. It’s not easy dumping contracts. They really are screed. I think deals like Hamonic show how smart this group is. Aquillini just waited too long to do something.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

yep. I see a lot of disappointment posts, but not sure what people want, to burn even more of the future? 

Its why I've been advocating for the 4 year just run with this group plan. We really don't have any assets to burn if we want to have any kind of new core in 4-5 years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

For them "to do" anything it means another team also has to.

They don't control that. 

And we don’t control Miller extending here either.  That’s up to him and his wife.  And it sure seems like they actually live in Pittsburgh as their permanent home.  JR and Allvin have said we aren’t in a position to lose players for nothing.  Add all the information up and Miller is absolutely traded between now and the 2023 TDL.  And if he’s playing this season we run the risk of injury and getting nothing for him.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Demko is on our team. One of the best goalies in the game. Kinda like a team relying on a top scorer in the league.

I wish I could find our 5 on 5 stats under BB, anyone got them?

17th in 5v5 goals for/game under Boudreau.

5th in 5v5 goals against per game

and 12th in differential

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And we don’t control Miller extending here either.  That’s up to him and his wife.  And it sure seems like they actually live in Pittsburgh as their permanent home.  JR and Allvin have said we aren’t in a position to lose players for nothing.  Add all the information up and Miller is absolutely traded between now and the 2023 TDL.  And if he’s playing this season we run the risk of injury and getting nothing for him.  

Ya that’s the only thing I don’t understand. Why are they willing to risk that and lose assets they could get in return? So risky. Doesn’t seem smart.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yep. I see a lot of disappointment posts, but not sure what people want, to burn even more of the future? 

Its why I've been advocating for the 4 year just run with this group plan. We really don't have any assets to burn if we want to have any kind of new core in 4-5 years.

Miller is not extending to stay here.  His permanent home is in Pittsburgh.  So we can’t kerp this group, even if we wanted to.  I thought Miller’s wife liked it here, but it’s becoming more clear she prefers her home there.  So we must trade Miller before that 2023 TDL.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

the risk of injury is bad for Miller too tho. One errant puck or knee and it costs him millions. There's pressure on him to not make a trade and re-sign difficult. 

Or, imo, hopefully he sees his future here. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Miller is not extending to stay here.  His permanent home is in Pittsburgh.  So we can’t kerp this group, even if we wanted to.  I thought Miller’s wife liked it here, but it’s becoming more clear she prefers her home there.  So we must trade Miller before that 2023 TDL.  

well, if thats really true then he's risking a lot. The only way he can guarantee Pits is if he's a UFA. 

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya that’s the only thing I don’t understand. Why are they willing to risk that and lose assets they could get in return? So risky. Doesn’t seem smart.

Well we did have a good offer for Miller at the 2022 TDL and took him off the market.  I wonder how involved our owner was then?  And if it comes to holding on to Miller until the 2023 TDL how involved he will be then?  

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Well at some point this new management group is going to have to start doing something to change this team. They can only blame Jim Benning for so long. Seems like many other GM's have found a way to improve their team even though they were tight to the cap. Can only use the blame someone else excuse for so long. Used it at Trade deadline, used it at the draft, if they use it again at Free Agency day then I'm one of the disappointed people. If brand new President, GM and AGM's including branching out into diversity hire (a positive IMHO) can't do ANYTHING to fix this team, then what was the point?

Just now, JayDangles said:

Well at some point this new management group is going to have to start doing something to change this team. They can only blame Jim Benning for so long. Seems like many other GM's have found a way to improve their team even though they were tight to the cap. Can only use the blame someone else excuse for so long. Used it at Trade deadline, used it at the draft, if they use it again at Free Agency day then I'm one of the disappointed people. If brand new President, GM and AGM's including branching out into diversity hire (a positive IMHO) can't do ANYTHING to fix this team, then what was the point?

No no. Just wait. Till all the contracts expire. That's when we strike.

Just now, JayDangles said:

other GMs had assets to burn or were going full tank. Thats not an excuse, just reality.