The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Looking at this trade, it's clear that we are closer to being in Florida's position rather than Calgary's when it comes to moving Miller. Miller is probably worth slightly less than Huberdeau (less elite skill and points, but he does play center and power-forward game, so tough to judge) and Weegar is an excellent piece to add as well, albeit on an expiring deal. 

A similar package that the Canucks could offer would be something like Miller, one of Garland or Hoglander (depending on the cap situation of the the other team), plus some future asset(s), including potentially our 2023 1st. That is a serious package, but there are a lot of things to consider in a trade this big:

• Who would the Canucks target in return?
  • What teams would actually be open to making an aggressive trade like this?
  • What teams could manipulate their cap space enough to make something like this happen? 
  • What teams might Miller be willing to re-sign with? 

These are all significant factors and finding a deal that addresses all of them to our satisfaction is unlikely. There are some teams that have the cap space, but they would not be interested in Miller at all. Some teams may have the pieces that Canucks are looking for, but not the cap flexibility to make a deal of this magnitude. I think what we are realizing is that no team meets all of those criteria, which is why the trade hasn't happened yet. But other teams are making things happen and the clock is ticking. 

I think there are really only seven teams that might possibly match up with these conditions well enough to make a trade: The Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Hurricanes, Avalanche Leafs and Capitals. The Avalanche, Leafs and Capitals only have futures to offer and would likely only be interested in Miller rather than a larger package. The Hurricanes have Necas as an intriguing young player, but other than that we are looking purely at futures in return along with cap-balancing contracts from all of these teams. 

The Devils are an interesting possible partner. They don't have much cap space at the moment (8.7M, but re-signing Bratt and Wood will use up all of that room), but they have some contracts that can be included in this trade or moved out separately (Johnsson, Tatar, Severson). While their young defenseman in L. Hughes and Nemec are untouchable, an intriguing player there is Mercer. He's a 20 year old right-handed, sturdy center with speed to burn who put up over 40 points in his rookie year last year. He would be an excellent addition to our top-9 as either our 3C or a winger in the top-6. If we take back Severson as well then we address our RHD and simultaneously balance out the cap in the trade. Sharangovich is another young forward who could be an interesting fit with our forward group. This all hinges on whether the Devils actually want to be this aggressive in improving, which they may not be. Something like Miller + Hoglander + 1st 2023 (top-5 protected) for Mercer + Severson is the best I can come up with. I'm not sure if New Jersey would actually be interested in Miller that much, but after striking out on both Gaudreau and Tkachuk it's clear they want to do something big. 

The Rangers are also interesting since they have long been rumoured to be interested in Miller. Their cap situation is extremely rigid though, which means making a deal will be tough. We will definitely have to take back at least one contract. They do have some interesting young pieces though, including Lafreniere, Kakko, Schneider, Chytil, Kravtsov, etc. Our ideal targets would be Lafreniere or Schneider, but who knows if that can actually be done. Something like Miller + Hoglander + 2023 1st (top-3 protected) for Schneider + Goodrow is the best I can come up with there. I'm not convinced either team bites on that though. 

The Islanders are a dream big partner. Offering a massive package for Dobson didn't seem possible until now, but even then there's no guarantee that they actually accept it. They could very well choose to keep their young stud RHD. The real dream though is Barzal requesting a trade and listing Vancouver as one of his preferred destinations since he's from BC. A package similar to the one I outlined in the beginning would check a lot of boxes, but if the Islanders are looking for purely futures then something like Lekkerimakki + Garland/Hoglander + 1st 2023 (top-5 protected) + 2nd 2024 would be a lot to give up, but I think it would be worth it to get someone of Barzal's caliber. Keep in mind, this is all in a dream scenario. 

The bottom line is, the landscape for a Miller trade is pretty desolate right now. Teams do not have the flexibility to make these kind of moves this offseason and if Huberdeau is available at the deadline then it hurts a potential return for us at the deadline as well. Management has the benefit of the doubt until we see how this all ends. 

Dobson?

That's a nice dream. Start with QH + Miller add a 1st you still don't get Dobson.  

No one trades a stud like Dobson.  

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Dobson?

That's a nice dream. Start with QH + Miller add a 1st you still don't get Dobson.  

No one trades a stud like Dobson.  

Dobson’s good but c’mon that’s a bit of a reach. He isn’t Makar. 

• Upvote 1

Well, they did trade Toews for not a lot not so long ago. Different situation obviously. Can’t see them making that mistake with Dobson. 

i honestly don’t think VAN get close to the return they’re looking for in a Miller trade. Hindsight will likely prove the deadline deal was the best. Time will tell. 

Let’s say we DO trade Miller and acquire a RHD, and the rest of our forwards all live up to expectations, etc. 

Think we got a shot at the cup? 

I think I’m starting to get delirious…2011 still hurts. 

25 minutes ago, Pears said:

Dobson’s good but c’mon that’s a bit of a reach. He isn’t Makar. 

Makar? 

Makar is right there with McDavid. Top 2 in the world.

You don't get Makar if you offer EP40 plus QH..

3 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I’ll be more jacked up if meyers is traded who is a good D but let’s save Milsey ?!

lol i don't think myers is going anywhere.. there's literally nothing left in the market for a replacement.. i doubt klingsberg signs for 6mil.. nor do i really want him.. the guys been a defensive diaster the past couple years.. he was -28 last season.. the next closest defenseman is -4.. PK Subban easy pass.. and i doubt we getting a defenseman back in a trade with myers so we'll need to make a secondary trade which i don't see any pieces we have can get a RHD back if Miller can't get a RHD.. i would totally not be surprise if Miller isn't traded then we are done for the summer and will have to wait till other teams get hit with injury bugs and do a panic move before we do anything.. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So, we've gone from Lafreniere, Schneider a 1st and a + for Miller

To,

Let's trade Miller a first and a + for just Schneider or Dobson?

K....

Because Lafreniere Schneider and a 1st was just wet dreaming? The real world offered by Rangers was Lundkvist, Chytil, 1st as reported by Sportsnet. 

1 hour ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

Well, they did trade Toews for not a lot not so long ago. Different situation obviously. Can’t see them making that mistake with Dobson. 

i honestly don’t think VAN get close to the return they’re looking for in a Miller trade. Hindsight will likely prove the deadline deal was the best. Time will tell. 

Nobody knows for sure what a potential deadline deal may have been, it's all media speculation, nothing more. 

No GM on either side is going to admit to which players were offered. 

Fans need to stop taking rumors as facts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Because Lafreniere Schneider and a 1st was just wet dreaming? The real world offered by Rangers was Lundkvist, Chytil, 1st as reported by Sportsnet. 

Still glad Allvin didn't take that.

Comparable to what Chiarot got to some extent is garbage and is rather see management burn the asset instead of just making a trade just to trade and give other GM's the impression that our management team are pushovers 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe

Market is fluid and Kadri is still an unknown, Avs haven't replaced him either

Market has been down right depressed. I was all in on the trade JTM train but with what vets approaching 30 are getting this year it probably makes more sense to keep at this point unless someone gets desperate. 
DeBrincats return was sub standard and he is young, Huberdeau is a good comp to JTM and was one of 4 pieces in a trade for a younger player not much better. 
Market sucks this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Market has been down right depressed. I was all in on the trade JTM train but with what vets approaching 30 are getting this year it probably makes more sense to keep at this point unless someone gets desperate. 
DeBrincats return was sub standard and he is young, Huberdeau is a good comp to JTM and was one of 4 pieces in a trade for a younger player not much better. 
Market sucks this year. 

Yup.  Play Miller right up until the 2023 TDL and then (regardless of our standing) trade him as a rental.  He would return a very good package at that point.  Providing, of course, our owner doesn’t allow it.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Play Miller right up until the 2023 TDL and then (regardless of our standing) trade him as a rental.  He would return a very good package at that point.  Providing, of course, our owner doesn’t allow it.  

Maybe. The NYR package you keep touting wasn’t great. 
‘I think probably best return will be one of the Eastern teams close to the cap adding him with retention. TB just got their asses handed to them by the Avs. They can’t keep all those players they signed past this season.  JTM under $3M would go a long way to them getting back to a fourth finals. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So, we've gone from Lafreniere, Schneider a 1st and a + for Miller

To,

Let's trade Miller a first and a + for just Schneider or Dobson?

K....

Hahahaha.  And the teams with those two players won’t trade them. 

Let’s be honest, we were never getting anything close to what people here thought.  
There have been a handful of big trades this year and nothing has come close.  
Maybe now the desperation will make for a little more realistic proposal.  

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Still glad Allvin didn't take that.

Comparable to what Chiarot got to some extent is garbage and is rather see management burn the asset instead of just making a trade just to trade and give other GM's the impression that our management team are pushovers 

Yes, NYR is not our trading partner if that is all they have to offer. That package doesnt take us anywhere.