The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We should be trying get rid of that horrid OEL contract and not adding another one in Klinberg.  Signing Klinberg is a ”Benning”.

No, we should be trying to get appropriate partners for him and Hughes, so we can actually take advantage of their 1st pair capabilities instead of hindering them. Put players in positions to succeed.

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

I just find hard believe if Sverson plus holtz was there it would be already done.

Our management says they want us to be harder to play against, right?  So maybe they don’t like Holtz, who is a softeroo? 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Why do we want to add term to neutering OEL's offensive game. We should be trying fix that problem, not repeating it with added term in Klingberg. We've already got 2 more years of that with Myers. He's just not the D-type we need IMO.

While I do agree getting another defensive RD for OEL would be good for his game, Klingberg potentially presents a unique opportunity to engage on offence with Klingberg and then also cover for his mistakes.  Problem with Myers is that he makes mistakes like an offensive D man but without the high end offence.  I would imagine OEL would be pretty frustrated with that as he can easily put up more offence that Myers given that role. 

The fact that they already have a rapport and Klingberg may come in at a number 2M less than Miller (Just a guess based on the fact he hasn't signed) I think we come out ahead.  All this said, we need a top 4 for Hughes that is more 2 way, so it only works in my mind if both happen.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No, we should be trying to get appropriate partners for him and Hughes, so we can actually take advantage of their 1st pair capabilities instead of hindering them. Put players in positions to succeed.

Well, we obviously aren’t moving OEL, so getting him a proper partner (who can play defence and isn’t too expensive; so the opposite of Chaos Giraffe) is the next best thing, I guess.  

Getting Pulock and Larsson would be perfect.  Got to get rid of Myers some how though.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our management says they want us to be harder to play against, right?  So maybe they don’t like Holtz, who is a softeroo? 

I agree I’m not as high on holtz as I am Walsh. Future D of Hughes rathbone Sverson Walsh I could get down with. But I’d definitely be trying add Pearson in the deal and 3rd piece if it wasn’t McLeod maybe Boqvist or Foote.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

I just find hard believe if Sverson plus holtz was there it would be already done.

Possible that Miller discussions, Severson discussions, the Tkachuk trade, and the Gaudreau signings all had to happen first.  Kadri may be that final piece before it all happens..........or nothing happens.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Possible that Miller discussions, Severson discussions, the Tkachuk trade, and the Gaudreau signings all had to happen first.  Kadri may be that final piece before it all happens..........or nothing happens.

As long as Miller is either traded or extended before camp we should be good to go.  Can’t have him in that room to start the year though.  Will be impossible to take him off the club as the season progresses.  The guys will rebel.  Would kill any good that Boudreau has done.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

While I do agree getting another defensive RD for OEL would be good for his game, Klingberg potentially presents a unique opportunity to engage on offence with Klingberg and then also cover for his mistakes.  Problem with Myers is that he makes mistakes like an offensive D man but without the high end offence.  I would imagine OEL would be pretty frustrated with that as he can easily put up more offence that Myers given that role. 

The fact that they already have a rapport and Klingberg may come in at a number 2M less than Miller (Just a guess based on the fact he hasn't signed) I think we come out ahead.  All this said, we need a top 4 for Hughes that is more 2 way, so it only works in my mind if both happen.

Just seems like inefficient use of cap when we already have OEL that can put up that offense if properly partnered. And Hughes, and Rathbone... We need guys to play with/support THOSE guys, not add yet another guys that needs that support. Never mind guys closer to the same age as the core so we've got more runway. We should be targeting guys like Marino, Hague etc, not older, expensive guys that don't represent skill sets we're already shy on.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Forward depth without Miller but adding Holtz would be:

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser

Kuzmenko Horvat Holtz 

Mikhayev Lazar Garland

Pearson Joshua Lockwood

But the main reason for the move would be:

Ekman-Larsson Klingberg

Hughes Severson

Rathbone Myers

Likely Pearson and Myers move for cap room, but we do need a longer term 3C still.  Much easier to find than a 1RD and 2RD.

That offense is hurting

10 hours ago, Wanless said:

We were sniffing at being a boarderline wild card team last year. After 30 games the club was a few poinys out of last place.

but when looking at stats the team 5v5 goals against was among the best in the league, the penalty kill got much better as the year went on under Bruce

This season we should see an improved PK and much better forward depth.

Its these reasons that us Miller homers believe they can make the playoffs with him in the line up.

we are a much deeper team now than the oilers. I think our forward group is better than calgarys but they have the better D but were exposed in the playoffs by relentless offensive pressure and our goaltending will be close to even, markstroms numbers will look better because of the better D

vegas is falling apart and making desperate moves

the sharks are beached

the ducks lack experience 

the kings got older but could surprise again

I think at this point it would be shocking if the Canucks dont make the playoffs

lol if we didn't go on that improbable winning streak with the coaching bump and played the way we did the rest of the way.. we still end up missing the playoff by 10-12 points.... and you think all the guys we brought in will for sure 100% gel with each other? just like last year and the years before right? how many UFA we brought in years after years? and how many of them fail or took a long time before working? almost all of them. 5v5 goals against was among the best because of demko.. he's well above the expected saved % of whatever it's call.. he also fell back to earth starting in march when he's burnt out. when other teams starting to score a lot more exposing the defense that was masked by Demko's brilliant.. and we have done absolutely nothing to address the defense.

vegas is falling apart?? vegas barring injuries again.. will prolly end up at the top of the division.. they literally never played with a full roster the entire season and their LTIR crap..

Kings added fiala and young to replace the dinosaur dustin brown

edmonton is edmonton.. they'll prolly be outscoring their problems and have a slight improvement in net..

calgary lost JG and MT.. but they got Hub who's just as good as JG and better than MT atm.. plus weegar.. under sutter.. they'll probably be a defensive juggernaut and markstrom will have like vezina like numbers likely behind that defense..

it's not inconceivable central will have like 5 teams again and the canucks will have to be top 3 in the pacific to have a chance.. it's far from guaranteed they are better than 3 of the 4 teams.. if the team played the way they have since january after that improbable streak for the entire season?? we might have been tied for the 7th or 8th spot.. with no changes to the defense.. expect demko to be played to the ground and be worn out before the season ends.. not because of how many games he play but how much he's relied on per game. 

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

These are the proposals they suggested.

Proposal No. 1

DEVILS RECEIVE     CANUCKS RECEIVE

J.T. Miller                    Damon Severson

Shakir Mukhamadullin

Proposal No. 2

Kevin Bahl

Jesper Boqvist

2023 2nd-round pick

Proposal No. 3

Kevin Bahl

Reilly Walsh

They point out that Evolving-Hockey projects Severson's next contract to be a six-year deal with a $6.8-million cap hit. They also point out that Miller projects to land an eight-year deal with a $9.7-million cap hit if he signs an extension, per Evolving-Hockey.

They seem to hold Miller in a higher regard than Severson.

Take it with a grain of salt. I like the proposals though.

If Allvin is looking at NJ, my targets would be Mercer and Mukhamadullin. Fits our organizational needs well.  

To NJ: Miller & 3rd

To Van: Mercer, Mukhamadullin & Bahl

We need a defensive defenseman instead of Klingburg. Klingburg and OEL play similar styles. Rathbone doesn't have the defensive game figured out yet, let him be first unit pp in abby. There is no way a Rathbone Hughes OEL and Klingburg squad could exist. Way too one dimensional.

We don't have to go for the whole shebang either. I think: Severson Hughes, OEL Myers, Pool/Book/Bur/Juu/Schenn. Adding a solid RHD should settle down the chaos back there. A physical stay at home is also better in the playoffs. 

I'd push for Sharangovic with Severson, if not, then like value of a good forward and include Dickinson. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If Allvin is looking at NJ, my targets would be Mercer and Mukhamadullin. Fits our organizational needs well.  

Severson they are likely gonna have to part with considering they have Marino/Hamilton long-term and Nemec drafted. They can't really afford to re-sign them since they are already set and need more help at forward. Hence why a swap makes sense. It helps address both teams needs and both teams can put the money into extending them. 

That site made the argument that Miller is worth more. Personally I like the first deal. Severson+Mukhamadullin. Gives us a to successor to OEL in Mukhamadullin and solid RD for Hughes/OEL. 2nd deal isn't bad either but 1st one takes the cake for me.

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not sure what everyone’s obsession with Bahl and Mukhamadullin are on here…

Is it cause they’re big and can skate? They’re still just average prospects.

Give me a blue chip guy or nothing!

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mercer would be quite the add and would soften the blow in the forward group but ya I could easily see either of those defencemen not making much of an nhl impact.

Miller re-signs. I thought that before the off-season. Around the draft I thought he would be moved but now I’m certain again he’ll be re-signed. Gut feeling. Plus it’s gonna make for good jokes for the people that have been saying he wants out for the last 2 years or whatever it’s been hah

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Mukhamadullin is a mobile RHD who plays a solid 2 way game.  He has a huge shot, has top 4 potential, and is on ELC which we need in the system.   Bahl is a huge body that prioritizes his own zone - he's often compared to Oleksiak.   He consistently wins battles on the boards, and is also young and on ELC.  

Mercer in my view is a blue-chip prospect who is already a regular roster player and still on ELC.  

A deal like this fits on-ice personel needs, defensive succession concerns, cap-flexibility issues, and has a lot of up-side for us.  Mercer alone could be an absolute steal - he's been compared to Jonathan Toews and had a 42pt rookie season straight out of the Q.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if we didn't go on that improbable winning streak with the coaching bump and played the way we did the rest of the way.. we still end up missing the playoff by 10-12 points.... and you think all the guys we brought in will for sure 100% gel with each other? just like last year and the years before right? how many UFA we brought in years after years? and how many of them fail or took a long time before working? almost all of them. 5v5 goals against was among the best because of demko.. he's well above the expected saved % of whatever it's call.. he also fell back to earth starting in march when he's burnt out. when other teams starting to score a lot more exposing the defense that was masked by Demko's brilliant.. and we have done absolutely nothing to address the defense.

vegas is falling apart?? vegas barring injuries again.. will prolly end up at the top of the division.. they literally never played with a full roster the entire season and their LTIR crap..

Kings added fiala and young to replace the dinosaur dustin brown

edmonton is edmonton.. they'll prolly be outscoring their problems and have a slight improvement in net..

calgary lost JG and MT.. but they got Hub who's just as good as JG and better than MT atm.. plus weegar.. under sutter.. they'll probably be a defensive juggernaut and markstrom will have like vezina like numbers likely behind that defense..

it's not inconceivable central will have like 5 teams again and the canucks will have to be top 3 in the pacific to have a chance.. it's far from guaranteed they are better than 3 of the 4 teams.. if the team played the way they have since january after that improbable streak for the entire season?? we might have been tied for the 7th or 8th spot.. with no changes to the defense.. expect demko to be played to the ground and be worn out before the season ends.. not because of how many games he play but how much he's relied on per game. 

And if edmonton didnt go on there improbable run with their coaching change they could have missed the playoffs

thats is such a silly argument. The team was winning games. PERIOD

and how can the newly acquired players for other teams work out, but ours wont

your arguments are weak 

• Like 1