The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Maybe if he takes a $2-3m pay cut

I can see him taking maybe a 1.5-2M pay cut on a longer term deal. He then has security and he’s got money. 

I can’t see the organization giving him 7.5 QO for what he’s producing. If they do give him that, they also limit themselves with the possibility of trading him down the road especially if he’s struggling like this

I have been thinking about this since the Canucks signed Boudreau and now Rutherford - which direction do they take?

Guys coming up for contracts in the next year or so:

Boeser 

JT Miller

Horvat

I don't see them having room for all three and currently the top 9 looks like this: ( not necessarily what line they play on but depth wise)

Boeser Petey Miller

Garland Horvat Pearson

Podz Dickinson Hoglander

Personally in the next year or so I think Podz might be top six and hell even Hogs cause the kid plays bigger than his size (Josh Morrissey can confirm this :P)

So who is the expendable one if you are Rutherford and might bring back the best haul?

Bo and JT are both the type of players you win cups with - I love Brock but that new contract might not work and while I understand those who want to trade Miller he has contract certainty for another year - same with Bo. If next year we aren't where we need to be we move him and sign Bo. So for me that begs the question - what do we want back from a trade of Boeser - my first choice is a RD as I think Garland will replace his goal scoring along with Podkolzin/Hoglander.

So CDC your thoughts on if I am out to lunch on this and what would you do or if you agree who do we trade Brock for?

I think we can put this idea to rest for a while. Coach Green clearly anchored this team with his poor coaching decisions. He had nothing innovative to bring to the team after five seasons. The team is 3-0 with the exact same pieces that he had, but Boudreau has reconfigured the players with defined roles. Not to mention that the coaching staff has been revamped.

Green might be a nice guy, but he hasn't really proven himself in the AHL either. Aquilini hired the wrong dude.

13 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I have been thinking about this since the Canucks signed Boudreau and now Rutherford - which direction do they take?

Boeser 

JT Miller

Horvat

I don't see them having room for all three and currently the top 9 looks like this: ( not necessarily what line they play on but depth wise)

Boeser Petey Miller

Garland Horvat Pearson

Podz Dickinson Hoglander

Personally in the next year or so I think Podz might be top six and hell even Hogs cause the kid plays bigger than his size (Josh Morrissey can confirm this :P)

So who is the expendable one if you are Rutherford and might bring back the best haul?

Bo and JT are both the type of players you win cups with - I love Brock but that new contract might not work and while I understand those who want to trade Miller he has contract certainty for another year - same with Bo. If next year we aren't where we need to be we move him and sign Bo. So for me that begs the question - what do we want back from a trade of Boeser - my first choice is a RD as I think Garland will replace his goal scoring along with Podkolzin/Hoglander.

So CDC your thoughts on if I am out to lunch on this and what would you do or if you agree who do we trade Brock for?

Well thought out.

Sergachev, Parayko, Ekblad, Klingberg, Chychrun, Dobson, Bean, Cernak, Pesce, Seider, Faulk, Boqvist, Pulock, Byram, Severson, would all be great but there is not much motivation for the clubs to trade these guys unless they are in dire need of scoring. We would also likely be adding high picks but I could live with that for one of the top guys. Trade deadline or offseason, might be more likely

Chariot would be a great LD add. Same as Chabot.

There are also the rumors about bringing in some Pittsburgh players but there is not much there I would want. Rust would be great as a Pearson replacement lol, maybe Rodriguez (good right handed face-off guy) but defensively not much there. Maybe Dumoulin or Petterson for the left side. 

Rust

Rodrigues

Dumoulin

3rd rounder

Boeser

Hunt

Lammikko

lol, just throwing names around there and doesn't address the RD but those are players I like.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

52 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Boeser 

JT Miller

Horvat

Boeser Petey Miller

Garland Horvat Pearson

Podz Dickinson Hoglander

Hoglander is also due when JT and Bo are due. Benning Left Rutherford in an awful situation cap wise. I think ultimately you have to trade Brock and you have to trade Myers. Both for guys that make 4million or less/year + prospects and/or picks. 

If we don’t, we’re going to be losing 2 of Bo/Miller/Hoglander. I have no doubts that Rutherford will sort it out. I’ve looked all over the league and I’m not sure what or who I’d trade for. I just hope that the team keeps trending up and that players who struggled turn it around and recoup their previous value before the trades start happening. 

Issue is, Boeser has not earned his QO and might just sign a longer term lower AAV.  Miller will be worth or demanding $8 million or more is the estimate being thrown around.

I'd as soon jettison Miller based on his age and future contract demands/length and reap the high return he'd get vs the simple casting off of Boeser.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Issue is, Boeser has not earned his QO and might just sign a longer term lower AAV.  Miller will be worth or demanding $8 million or more is the estimate being thrown around.

I'd as soon jettison Miller based on his age and future contract demands/length and reap the high return he'd get vs the simple casting off of Boeser.

Since joining the Canucks, Miller is a PPG player.  And it's his last big contract.  So he will command $8-9M x 6yr.

Not sure Canucks can afford that without trading out 2+ roster pieces.

Miller would fetch at least a young player, prospect, + 1st.

Edited by BPA

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

With how this season has gone with the losing ,firings and media stress/abuse I’m sure they are in no hurry to sign here 

might be an interesting trade deadline if management doesn’t want them to walk for nothing 

18 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

With how this season has gone with the losing ,firings and media stress/abuse I’m sure they are in no hurry to sign here 

might be an interesting trade deadline if management doesn’t want them to walk for nothing 

Boeser is an RFA. He pretty much has to sign here (or hold out/demand a trade).

Miller on the other hand...

One of many reasons it potentially makes sense to move him. We cannot afford to let him just walk to UFA. And I'm not sure we can/want to afford to retain him for likely 6-8 years at $7-8m+ at what will then be, 30 years old. 

Boeser on the other hand is still young and with his play this year might not even get much/any raise. And people forget he was arguably our best F last year.

To me, as unfortunate as it is, because I love (most of) his play, Miller just makes the most sense.

IMO, ideally we'd see him packaged with Rathbone and maybe Poolman for a top pair RD and a legit 3C +/-. 

Something like (but not necessarily specifically) Dobson and Cizikas out of NYI.

That way we still maintain C depth and grit (albeit a downgrade) but upgrade our top 4D.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Brock is starting to play better. A lot better. Can we find a way to fit him into our long term plans.  

If not. Here is a trade suggestion.

Boeser to Mini..

They would need to make room cap wise so we would take Victor Rask. The main return for us would be youth. Matthew Boldy , Carson Lambos and a second in 2022.

Then I would take Rask along with Halak  and move them to Edmonton.  Edmonton needs a 3rd line center and goal tending help.

We would take Koskinen back to clear space.  (He is a UFA next year.) Then get their first round pick and maybe a prospect.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:04 AM, Dazzle said:

I think we can put this idea to rest for a while. Coach Green clearly anchored this team with his poor coaching decisions. He had nothing innovative to bring to the team after five seasons. The team is 3-0 with the exact same pieces that he had, but Boudreau has reconfigured the players with defined roles. Not to mention that the coaching staff has been revamped.

Green might be a nice guy, but he hasn't really proven himself in the AHL either. Aquilini hired the wrong dude.

So your saying dead beat Benning and no show green wasted the best years the Canucks could of have. I know how you feel!!!! 

30 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Brock is starting to play better. A lot better. Can we find a way to fit him into our long term plans.  

If not. Here is a trade suggestion.

Boeser to Mini..

They would need to make room cap wise so we would take Victor Rask. The main return for us would be youth. Matthew Boldy , Carson Lambos and a second in 2022.

Then I would take Rask along with Halak  and move them to Edmonton.  Edmonton needs a 3rd line center and goal tending help.

We would take Koskinen back to clear space.  (He is a UFA next year.) Then get their first round pick and maybe a prospect.

The Wild are in a re-tool/rebuild so trading picks and prospects is highly unlikely when themselves are trying to acquire more picks and prospects for players they feel won't be part of their future.  They even traded Kunin who was picked 15th overall in 2016 - ie one year after Boeser so they could add picks.  There's a reason they were willing to buyout Parise/Suter and saddle themselves with 13M to 15M in dead cap for the next 3 seasons.  Not sure Guerin expected them to feature so well in the standings but it's not like he can get rid of those buyout cap hits.  He didn't even bother to look for a trade partner before buying them out.  

They are going to need prospects like Boldy when they are going to operate 13M to 15M below the salary cap for the next 3 seasons. 

Guerin btw also says he couldn't care less where players are from.  He actually complained about players wanting to come to Minnesota for personal reasons over hockey reasons.  Fans favourites have been from all over the world. 

Also don't see Rutherford trading top roster players for futures.  The Canucks have a core that is ready to compete now.  Boudreau insists that he came to Vancouver to win.  

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

So your saying dead beat Benning and no show green wasted the best years the Canucks could of have. I know how you feel!!!! 

I'm not so sure about Benning because it's his team right now, which he assembled, that is flourishing under BB. Small sample, of course. However, we never played like this under Green, ever. Green really poisoned his own team with his meddling.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not so sure about Benning because it's his team right now, which he assembled, that is flourishing under BB. Small sample, of course. However, we never played like this under Green, ever. Green really poisoned his own team with his meddling.

And unfortunately Benning was way too loyal to Green. I believe it cost him his job...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1