The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov 24, 2021 4 PM PDT | Normal GDT Edition

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Sadly, a desperation trade seems inevitable, with a good chance, the acquired player(s) will underperform under Greens' tutelage.  Imo, cheaper to keep a player with Millers' calibre than re acquiring a similar player - unless, ofcourse the Canucks pick top 3 in this loaded draft.

This is what I'm sort of starting to shift my hopes to... if we can acquire assets for guys that you don't see being here 1-2 years from now, and those acquired assets are younger players who are entering their prime in 1-2 years, then we might actually be able to actually achieve a (relatively) quick retool that sees are more competitive 2-3 years from now, while also somewhat restocking our cupboards via this year's draft. 

20 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

This is what I'm sort of starting to shift my hopes to... if we can acquire assets for guys that you don't see being here 1-2 years from now, and those acquired assets are younger players who are entering their prime in 1-2 years, then we might actually be able to actually achieve a (relatively) quick retool that sees are more competitive 2-3 years from now, while also somewhat restocking our cupboards via this year's draft. 

Like Markstrom & Tanev.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

As great as it would be to see a top 3 pick come to Van, unless that player is directly stepping into the NHL, we are potentially wasting that pick if:

a) we haven’t upgraded or improved our development system 

b) have the current coaching in place

i hate the idea but if we have to rebuild it needs to start by wiping the slate clean, even if that involves using JB and his sources for the draft and then letting him go. Or better yet, bring in another GM prior to. So many early first round busts, JB’s talent is picking gems in the later rounds.

if we get anywhere near the top 3 I would be very concerned about it going to waste under this regime 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

As great as it would be to see a top 3 pick come to Van, unless that player is directly stepping into the NHL, we are potentially wasting that pick if:

a) we haven’t upgraded or improved our development system 

b) have the current coaching in place

i hate the idea but if we have to rebuild it needs to start by wiping the slate clean, even if that involves using JB and his sources for the draft and then letting him go. Or better yet, bring in another GM prior to. So many early first round busts, JB’s talent is picking gems in the later rounds.

if we get anywhere near the top 3 I would be very concerned about it going to waste under this regime 

Oh for sure.. my comment was made under the assumption that if we go the route of a "retool" it would be under a new GM/coach