The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Green to be Fired

Rate this topic

Me_

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That’s just it, joe. Benning should definitely go first, without a doubt. Not only did he construct this roster, he also hired and re-signed Green and Baumgartner.

Benning’s choices have had the greater effect on this club's fortunes than anyone else. Fire Benning first, and let the new GM not only decide who the coach should be, but let that GM rebuild the defense. Give Quinn a true number one right handed defenseman to partner up with. 

I’d keep Hughes, OEL, and Schenn. Trade the rest. 

Benning did everything one could reasonably expect from a GM in the modern day environment. The biggest negative from this offseason was extending Green, plain and simple. Firing the GM does nothing short-term. Meanwhile, firing a coach could change the way the team operates from day to day.

Think of it this way: if your car isn't operating properly, changing the suspensions for an engine problem is the wrong approach.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

my picks for the head coach duties would be one of three...

Ted Nolan, Mark Crawford or Dan Blysma. 

Ted Nolan got a raw deal. I hope he gets a coaching position sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Benning did everything one could reasonably expect from a GM in the modern day environment. The biggest negative from this offseason was extending Green, plain and simple. Firing the GM does nothing short-term. Meanwhile, firing a coach could change the way the team operates from day to day.

The problem is that he allowed Green to sabotage the roster with his cuts, and didn't fire him when it became clear that Green was causing serious damage to the team after the road trip before this one.  Either he's not allowed to fire Green, or he considers Green's misconduct to be acceptable.  Neither option indicates that Benning's fit for continued employment.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Boudreau's head coaching record is 567 - 302 - 115 over 14 years.  He won in Wash Ana and Minny. He won everywhere he coached. The guy has a lot of credentials.

I would not be against him coming in to replace Green.

700 - 418 - 164 is Babcock's record over 16 years as a head coach in ana tor and Det. Stanley cup winning coach. 8 years younger then Boudreau.

Babcock also has great credentials.

Both have records of success and are worth considering.

This.

I just don't get why some fans think Green is 'better' than what the Canucks are showing. There's ZERO evidence to show that he can coach at this level, at least not anywhere at the same level as Babcock/Boudreau.

Green is such a mediocre coach, and it's sickening to read about people giving excuses for this coach.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This.

I just don't get why some fans think Green is 'better' than what the Canucks are showing. There's ZERO evidence to show that he can coach at this level, at least not anywhere at the same level as Babcock/Boudreau.

Green is such a mediocre coach, and it's sickening to read about people giving excuses for this coach.

Bad record in the AHL too. Honestly cant believe he got a NHL job without even having a good AHL Record first.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This.

Because there is a group.of fans here that feel.any challenge to the team.and it's direxruon is sacrilege and makes you a bad fan

Those are the fans that Benning and Green have been singing to and they lap it up

• Cheers 1

I’m warming up to the idea of Babcock. 

High risk, high reward. The team is a tire fire, so what’s the risk?!

Babcock also got the best from teams that had multiple stars from varying nations and backgrounds. He’s an alpha dog, which JT and Bo could probably use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I’m warming up to the idea of Babcock. 

High risk, high reward. The team is a tire fire, so what’s the risk?!

Babcock also got the best from teams that had multiple stars from varying nations and backgrounds. He’s an alpha dog, which JT and Bo could probably use.

Yes Babcock please!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Ted Nolan got a raw deal. I hope he gets a coaching position sooner rather than later.

Ted Nolan coached sabres and islanders and both those teams were mediocre or bottom feeder roster players at the time. and Nolan still won more games then Green could lolol! I wouldn't take Boudreau or Babcock personally. 

1. Boudreau coached elite teams with elite players and still couldn't get the job done! how many years he coached no Cups! no thxs!

2. Babcock is too pricey fir a head coach we cant afford him rather spend it on players. which we need! 100%! our defence is playing poor. same goes with our offence its lacking. coach may help but not gonna help the Cap! 

Marc Crawford and Dan Bysma both won Cups! with good track records. Ted Nolan could be a diamond in the rough aswell! those three are my candidates! 

• Cheers 1

I think it's past time to fire Green, but I hope that the delay indicates a due diligence on good coaching candidates.
The two guys I'm most interested in are Bylsma and Boudreau. Bylsma has the Stanley Cup pedigree that Boudreau doesn't. But, I'm intrigued by what Boudreau would potentially do with Hughes. 

I honestly think they will go with Julien though. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What’s Brad Shaw’s record?  If Green is fired it might be Shaw taking over on an interim basis, no?  

As an NHL head coach, he had an 18-18-4 record as a mid-season replacement for Steve Stirling in New York 15 years ago. He has been an assistant coach for 16.5 years. I believe he is what you would call a career assistant, so there is no reason to believe he'd be any better than Green.

Edited by Curmudgeon

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

As an NHL head coach, he had an 18-18-4 record as a mid-season replacement for Steve Stirling in New York 15 years ago. He has been an assistant coach for 16.5 years. I believe he is what you would call a career assistant, so there is no reason to believe he'd be any better than Green.

There's every reason to believe he'd be better than a coach who is clearly unfit to coach professional hockey in any capacity.  Shaw's proven to be at least competent at some capacity at the NHL level, unlike the unqualified moron we currently have destroying the team with his gross incompetence.  Going without a coach is a better choice than keeping the cancer of Green in the room.

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The year he took over was the start of two of the deepest drafts in years. 

Not getting in those two drafts was mistake number one . The mistakes just continue. 

Did he not get Hughes and Pettersson? Every GM is gonna whiff on a first round pick. Moreover, the 2nd rounders have been Highlander and Demko. It's not expected that the lower round drafts would likely produce an NHL player. That being said, we do have some nice prospects in the system. Are they enough? I'm not sure.