The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

Just now, aGENT said:

Preaching to the choir. I wanted him gone last spring. He made no sense for us to extend here.

Doesn't mean that at +/-1PPG power forward who can win draws/play C in a pinch, and is on expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension is "untradeable". Again, "win now" teams would be thrilled to add that if we can make the cap work short term for them by retaining this year or taking back other salary.

Same and I would had been ok, with the cap space cause we already saw JM, TT and Tanev walk cause of the cap crunch.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. In the summer it just seemed like it was what it was. They had to sign him or trade him. Starting the season without a contract or deal just wasn't an option it seemed. But looking back now...why? Imagine this team having both players on expiring deals for the tdl? 

Could have kickstarted a rebuild in a massive way.

Truly. Why feel rushed to get it done? Never a good sign. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Preaching to the choir. I wanted him gone last spring. He made no sense for us to extend here.

Doesn't mean that at +/-1PPG power forward who can win draws/play C in a pinch, and is on expiring bargain deal, with a below market extension is "untradeable". Again, "win now" teams would be thrilled to add that if we can make the cap work short term for them by retaining this year or taking back other salary.

There was a fellow from Pitt on Jeff Marek today.  Jeff was asking him what Pitt currently needs.  He said something along the lines of "a top six winger who can provide offense and preferably be capable of playing C in a pinch"  My eyebrows raised so high that they were tickling the back of my neck.

Sid + JT would be quite the duo if Pitt could afford it.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup....AND could have used the cap space saved there, to add Marino for Rathbone +

Bo may have even come in closer to $7 in the summer, before scoring ALL the goals.

They F#%@'d this up.

Our owner messed this up.  When was the time he allowed a rebuilding move where a key core piece was traded for futures?  Luongo?  I’m hopeful he allows JR to move Bo for much needed futures because the team is in such need of a direction change. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Our owner messed this up.  When was the time he allowed a rebuilding move where a key core piece was traded for futures?  Luongo?  I’m hopeful he allows JR to move Bo for much needed futures because the team is in such need of a direction change. 

They’ve needed that since 2012. 

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Another GM who in the end probably shouldn’t be one. 

Pittsburgh/Burke knew it: some are just meant to be an asst vs being the main guy.  JB was an effective, asst GM with Boston and we all know how he was in Vancouver...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Same and I would had been ok, with the cap space cause we already saw JM, TT and Tanev walk cause of the cap crunch.  

Was that due to cap though, or just poor judgement?  Benning spent equal cap on the replacements.  Holtby + Schmidt + the new contracts for Demk and Jake.  

41 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

It won’t be this month :)

I'd be a little surprised if it was but it really depends on whether teams offer not and whether the Canucks like said offers. I do believe there is potential risk in waiting too long, as they risk Horvat getting hurt. But that being said, I do think January or February is more likely, particularly given how rough the schedule is for us those two months. There's a good chance we lose quite a bit during both months as the level of teams they face will generally be higher. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I hope JR tells the owner that we need to rebuild or a5 least take a step back.  Our owner will have to listen.  No way he could push JR out.

You’d think that JR would’ve told him that before taking the job. I don’t think Aquilini is capable of understanding that the team needs to be torn down. He didn’t realize it in 2012 when it should have happened in earnest. Any player who could have been traded should have been. Anyone

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

There was a fellow from Pitt on Jeff Marek today.  Jeff was asking him what Pitt currently needs.  He said something along the lines of "a top six winger who can provide offense and preferably be capable of playing C in a pinch"  My eyebrows raised so high that they were tickling the back of my neck.

Sid + JT would be quite the duo if Pitt could afford it.

Kapanen + some mix of Pickering/Poulin/Blomqvist and a pick for Miller with whatever cap retained this year to make it work.

YES PLEASE.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, smithers joe said:

my boston trade would be horvat, pearson and rathbone for carlo, dubrusk to make the money work and lohrei. i wonder if the b's would be willing?

That’s the kind of move that our owner would accept.  Futures are not the key parts coming back.  We get guys in their primes to help now.

what if we do your trade Joe and do Boeser for Mantha and Garland for Anderson?

we lose Bo, Boeser and Garland

se add Carlo, Debrusk, Mantha and Anderson

We get a whole lot bigger and harder to play against.  We do give up a lot of skill and offence though.  But it’s the kind of change our owner would be okay with.  We bring in guys at their ceilings and in their primes.  

In the Summer it was pretty unanimous that going to 7 million or 7+ for Bo was an overpayment.  His offense was there but nowhere near like it has been now. Hes not really a shutdown C.  Signing him now to anywhere near 8 or 8+ just seems another massive gamble that I wouldnt do.

Mgmt already wagered pretty heavily on JT.  Dont need another bet like that on the books.    

This might sound nuts but I think Aman can be a 3C next year and possibly even develop into a more defensive minded 2C with the right wingers.  If Mgmt can find a ahort term 2C for the next 2-3 years I would trade both Bo and JT (although I think is one of the few emotional leaders on this team). 

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Maybe. Personally, if it was me, I would have waited until probably around this point in the season to see where Miller was at to make a more informed decision.  

I think they were also just scared to lose him for nothing and of what the fan reaction would be i.e. possibly already feeling the Canadian market pressure. They likely also felt that Bo would sign a team-friendly deal, but their version of team friendly was insulting. 

This new management group has made some terrible decisions already and made this whole Benning situation so much worse, which is kinda unbelievable, and almost impressive, in a Ron Burgandy kinda way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

Toffoli

Markstrom

Tanev

Edler

All walked for free under previous management as well. This franchise didn't get A SINGLE ASSET back from those 4 leaving in FA. Let that sink in too. 

Vezina candidate goalie

Top 4 defenseman

Top 6 forward

Veteran Defenseman

0 picks, 0 prospects, 0 players in return. Playoff chances or not, you have to look further in the future than that. Even then, you HAVE to find a way to get something for at least a couple of those guys. 

I see it a different way. We had players with NTC's and had no intention of moving. The Sedins wouldn't even do the team a solid and be a rental for a playoff push. This is the problem with the team, no one is here to win a championship just looking for the pay day.

Although Hansen and Burrows had a different mindset when they left and had something this team is sorely missing now.