The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd say Bo has made Vancouver his home, can we say the same about Miller?  Does anyone really believe Miller is going to re-up after his current contract?  

He will resign if he has a reason too.  If there is change.   New coaching staff, new gm.  New direction.   If there is a sign of good things to come.

if not, he’s good as gone

Just now, sassbs said:

He will resign if he has a reason too.  If there is change.   New coaching staff, new gm.  New direction.   If there is a sign of good things to come.

if not, he’s good as gone

I don't buy it, I think there's zero chance he re-signs no matter what they do.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nux_win said:

I think that it would be pretty foolish to trade him just because we're off to a bad start this season.  GCG!

Well if it was a bad start to a season you would be correct.

A bad start to every season along with a bad middle and a bad ending to every season is an entirely different matter.

The guy is a UFA in just over a year.  He sounds defeated and just beat up by losing for his entire pro career, there is little chance he will re-sign with the team since we "ran out of time" to get better before his contract is up.

As long as he isn't on Boston or Toronto I will happily cheer for him wherever he ends up.

We need a blue chip NHL prospect and a 1st round pick plus whatever money back it takes to make it work.

I don't trust Benning to make that deal.

Trading away these guys doesn't mean starting from scratch again.  If we can stockpile 2-3 extra first round picks, plus some 2nd/3rds we can also some of use those as currency at the draft to get good NHL players for next year who give us a chance to be better than 28th place while at the same time restocking our empty pipeline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This is pretty questionable. Gillis did care about his players, but he was also gifted a core that were all generally in their prime. Gillis gets way too much credit for adding decent supplementary players. (Which he did)

Gillis also reversed mortgaged on the team, to the point where we had nothing good. Horvat came as a result of trading Schneider, our only true goalie prospect. Hodgson was a high first round pick. He also whiffed badly on every single pick.

Not to mention how he mismanaged the Luongo situation.

Still blaming others for us being terrible.  Benning has had 8 seasons and we are worse than when we started and have a worse prospect pool.

Benning has managed to reverse mortgage the team's future while still being at the bottom of the league and that is fairly difficult to do.  We are in 28th spot with no prospects as good as Horvat in the pipeline.

NHL GMs and execs certainly disagree with you about Gillis.  The thousands of years of pro hockey knowledge clearly doesn't stack up against your musings as a random internet dude... 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-gillis-named-general-manager-of-the-year/c-566844

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Dermott would have been waived two months ago if that was the case. They’re looking to trade him and have held onto him with his name being in the rumour mill for awhile now for a reason. They want to get something for him. 

Horvat has 11 points in 22 games.

Kerfoot has 14 points in 23 games.

Kerfoot has never been given a bigger role because he was stuck behind MacKinnon and Kadri in Colorado and now Matthews and Tavares in Toronto. Even in a smaller role he is out-scoring Horvat.

Amirov is 6’0, 175 and only just turned 20. He probably fills out to 6’1, 185 Lbs. He was captain of his team for a reason and is not afraid to get involved in the thick of it around the net and dirty areas.

Have a look at this as well @73 Percent since you can’t face facts about our scouting success by what I showed above.

Point totals mean nothing. One team is struggling to score, in the west. One team is an offensive team in the east. If we are trading Horvat it should be for young futures. We have zero high end D and center depth in our system. Kerfoot may be available after next year for free. Kerfoot looks good this year. Other years, average. Bo is a borderline Team Canada player, a captain, a faceoff slayer. I simply don't see the logic in this trade. 

22 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

One season doesn't dictate an entire career. Faxts

You’re right! Thankfully for Kerfoot he has two 40+ point seasons while he was playing behind MacKinnon and Soderberg. He’s also had similar tough shutdown matchups his entire career the way Horvat has. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you mean we have the chance to trade for a smaller crappier version of Bo that plays less minutes? whoa.

You mean the hometown kid who’s currently got three more points than Bo in one less game? Who’s had similar shutdown roles his entire career? For cheaper? Yeah that one!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Point totals mean nothing. One team is struggling to score, in the west. One team is an offensive team in the east. If we are trading Horvat it should be for young futures. We have zero high end D and center depth in our system. Kerfoot may be available after next year for free. Kerfoot looks good this year. Other years, average. Bo is a borderline Team Canada player, a captain, a faceoff slayer. I simply don't see the logic in this trade. 

Sorry meant to say Kerfoot was stuck playing behind MacKinnon and Soderberg in Colorado. Even there in two seasons both were 40+ point years. What do you mean other years average? Kerfoot is a borderline Team Canada depth forward, a tenacious leader, a faceoff slayer, and has had similar shutdown matchups his entire career the way Bo has. We have zero high end D and C depth in our system so tell me what’s wrong with a 24 year old LHD (we need LD) who can also easily play the right side, has size, aggression, skating ability, and also a hometown center with speed, grit, and who’s currently out scoring Bo (point totals mean nothing until a forward is out scoring your captain wether he’s on an offensive East team or not. He plays 3rd line minutes there). And lastly tell me what’s wrong with getting another Center in the deal who was the captain of his QMJHL team and plays a similar style to Horvat, is only 20 years old with room to grow into

his frame, and has played well with Podkolzin on his line in the WJCs..? Not to mention the 1st round pick in the deal which can be used to nab a blue chip D or C.

18 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

You mean the hometown kid who’s currently got three more points than Bo in one less game? Who’s had similar shutdown roles his entire career? For cheaper? Yeah that one!

its just such a bad idea, sorry it has to be said. Who gives a $&!# if Kerfoot is from here? He's from a very wealthy West Van family, is that supposed to count for something?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

@73 Percent has his name for a reason.
He’s only 73 percent willing to reset the team and wants to hold onto Horvat until he walks as a UFA for nothing.

I see by your posting history you are new here, so maybe do a bit of asking around on how some people got their names, before  ass uming things.

Also  probably best to argue  or take issue against a post, and not a poster.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

What makes you say that?

I don't think Aquilini has many contacts in the hockey world, and its going to take time to replace Jim. Unless someone falls in his lap like maybe Mellanby/

Edited by JM_

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think Aquilini has many contacts in the hockey world, and its going to take time to replace Jim. Unless someone falls in his lap like maybe Mellanby falls in Aqua's lap.

I've seen no legitimate reports indicating that's what's happening though.  

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've seen no legitimate reports indicating that's what's happening though.  

no its just my feeling on it watching Aqulini as an owner. He hired Gillis, an agent he knew. He hired Linden, who again he had a connection with. He didn't know Benning, Linden wanted him.

So now Mellanby is available, someone who worked under Gillis. It would make sense if he hear more about him.

Edited by JM_