The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

19 minutes ago, combover said:

I’d say nope 

not extended by the deadline he has  to be traded regardless of playoff implications. 
Nothings changed we have no depth and we can afford to let or even take the chance that valuable assets walk for free. 

Yup, this exactly, we cannot have even the slimmest of chances that he walks. I still maintain that a deal doesn't get done, and fingers crossed we get the right, and proper return from him in a trade. 

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

I’m not sure what you’re arguing here? 

If you said Pettersson is the best defensive forward on the team, why doesn’t he play against the opponent’s top forward, regardless if he can win faceoffs or not? You just move him to the wing (which is the original argument), and play him with Horvat and Pearson, two of the team’s defensive forwards. Especially late in the game when we’re up by one and the goalie is pulled. We never see him in those situations.

Pettersson has been playing up and down the lineup, with various linemates. His most consistent linemates were Miller, Horvat,  Boeser, and Garland. Not Podkolzin and Hoglander. In matter of fact, that combination only played a total of 65 minutes together. 

because the coach likes to manage ice time? how often do you see boudreau double shift any player?? do you see miller and horvat playing together late in game? even for faceoff?? having your 2 best faceoff guy out there in case one gets thrown out? No? so why doesn't he do that??

you are clueless if you think his most consistent linemates have been miller horvat boeser and garland.. he havent played with miller and boeser 5v5 since late november.. he played a bit with bo in march and boeser late march.. the only time he plays with miller horvat boeser is during powerplay..

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

because the coach likes to manage ice time? how often do you see boudreau double shift any player?? do you see miller and horvat playing together late in game? even for faceoff?? having your 2 best faceoff guy out there in case one gets thrown out? No? so why doesn't he do that??

you are clueless if you think his most consistent linemates have been miller horvat boeser and garland.. he havent played with miller and boeser 5v5 since late november.. he played a bit with bo in march and boeser late march.. the only time he plays with miller horvat boeser is during powerplay..

Miller and Bo often play together in the dying seconds in the game defending leads, along with Boeser. Again if you say he’s good at closing out the passing lanes and is often in good positions. Why does BB or Green never play him in these situations? This has nothing to do with managing ice time. You want your best defensive players out there defending leads against the opponent’s top units. 

I’m just going off what Dobberhockey and Moneypuck is reporting. 

Pettersson with Miller - 170+ minutes 

Pettersson with Boeser - 230+ 

Pettersson with Garland - 250+ 

Pettersson with Horvat - 140+ 

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO is not at Trevor's level, not as a captain and not even as a player.  Trevor was a 30 goal scorer the minute he entered the league and was basically a point a game player during his entire 7 years of playoff hockey in Vancouver.  He was the best captain we ever had.  He could also play multiple positions.  Linden was actually a right winger when he was drafted, he was converted to a centre by Quinn after Larionov left to play with Bure.  He continued to play centre for the rest of his Vancouver career.  

Some people think that because BO did a few end to end rushes during the bubble that he is now at Linden's level in the playoffs.  I don't think so.  Not even close.  Linden played at a top level in the playoffs with broken bones in his body.  Similar to Ryan Kesler.  He was a leader on the ice and in the dressing room.  He was a terrible fighter but he fought anyways.  He could hit like a truck too when he wanted to.  He was also a great skater.  He was a complete player actually and like you said, even made Team Canada on a stacked team in 1998.

Excellent post!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

BO is not at Trevor's level, not as a captain and not even as a player.  Trevor was a 30 goal scorer the minute he entered the league and was basically a point a game player during his entire 7 years of playoff hockey in Vancouver.  He was the best captain we ever had.  He could also play multiple positions.  Linden was actually a right winger when he was drafted, he was converted to a centre by Quinn after Larionov left to play with Bure.  He continued to play centre for the rest of his Vancouver career.  

Some people think that because BO did a few end to end rushes during the bubble that he is now at Linden's level in the playoffs.  I don't think so.  Not even close.  Linden played at a top level in the playoffs with broken bones in his body.  Similar to Ryan Kesler.  He was a leader on the ice and in the dressing room.  He was a terrible fighter but he fought anyways.  He could hit like a truck too when he wanted to.  He was also a great skater.  He was a complete player actually and like you said, even made Team Canada on a stacked team in 1998.

I agree! I love Bo, but I feel that Miller is ready to make this his team. We signed him to the contract, may as well give him the ball and let him run with it. Just my feeling.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Miller and Bo often play together in the dying seconds in the game defending leads, along with Boeser. Again if you say he’s good at closing out the passing lanes and is often in good positions. Why does BB or Green never play him in these situations? This has nothing to do with managing ice time. You want your best defensive players out there defending leads against the opponent’s top units. 

I’m just going off what Dobberhockey and Moneypuck is reporting. 

Pettersson with Miller - 170+ minutes 

Pettersson with Boeser - 230+ 

Pettersson with Garland - 250+ 

Pettersson with Horvat - 140+ 

i'm not even going to bother arguing with you. you lost me when whos a better defender based on whos on the ice.. ya i'm sure Boeser is a better defender because everyone is complaining boeser doesn't bring anything if he's not scoring lol.. i mean by your standard Myer is the top 2 defensive defenseman on this team.

podkolzin played 230+ mins with EP

hoglander played 140+ mins with EP

let's compare how much minutes Boeser and Miller played together 480+

now let's look at pearson? 350+

EP spent 75% of the season playing with different random linemate throughout the season.. that's fact.. 130+ of those so call minutes 5v5 came before december

so tell me again? how did EP spent majority of the time playing with Miller? miller played 800+ minutes 5v5 and spent less than 25% of the time with EP while more than 50% with boeser and close to 50% with pearson.. 

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm not even going to bother arguing with you. you lost me when whos a better defender based on whos on the ice.. ya i'm sure Boeser is a better defender because everyone is complaining boeser doesn't bring anything if he's not scoring lol.. i mean by your standard Myer is the top 2 defensive defenseman on this team.

podkolzin played 230+ mins with EP

hoglander played 140+ mins with EP

let's compare how much minutes Boeser and Miller played together 480+

now let's look at pearson? 350+

EP spent 75% of the season playing with different random linemate throughout the season.. that's fact.. 130+ of those so call minutes 5v5 came before december

so tell me again? how did EP spent majority of the time playing with Miller? miller played 800+ minutes 5v5 and spent less than 25% of the time with EP while more than 50% with boeser and close to 50% with pearson.. 

It’s a valid argument which you haven’t answered. As a coach do you not want your best defensive forwards late in the game defending a one goal game? We’ve seen Pettersson being benched late, when BB took over, on many occasions in the season.  Why is that? Why is he never defending the lead when the goalie is pulled? We always see guys like Horvat, Miller, Pearson, Lammikko, and Boeser out there as a staple in those situations. Hell, even Dickinson is out there occasionally. We rarely see Pettersson out there.

I never got the sense that Boeser is terrible in his own end. He’s was 15th in the league in puck battles won last year. If you’re going to praise Pettersson for being in the right position half the time. Then you can’t disregard Boeser’s ability to win puck battles, when talking about their defense. This is probably why BB, puts him out there late in the game. 

Edited by shiznak

5 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I think you are close in the comparison, but I do think that Trevor was a better captain than Bo. The team rallied around Trevor, and I'm not sure the same can be said for Bo. I have been a fan since I was 7 years old in 82, and remember the torch being passed to Trevor from Stan. Trevor was an impact player right away for us, and had success early, and that continued and earned him a spot in the Japan Olympics. When Messier came, the team sagged because the C was ripped off of Trevor, and then he was traded. I don't think Bo could ever match what Trevor meant to this franchise.

Different era but yes I remember that Stan passing the torch.I really think Naslund should have gave Linden back the C but that is me.Bo does deserve the C.Tje best player on the team doesn't always make the best captain,but Miller would make a good C if Bo ever gets traded which I do not see.

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Different era but yes I remember that Stan passing the torch.I really think Naslund should have gave Linden back the C but that is me.Bo does deserve the C.Tje best player on the team doesn't always make the best captain,but Miller would make a good C if Bo ever gets traded which I do not see.

I agree with this bolded assessment

Odd that PA either forgot about BB (how do you forget your cores when asked)?  But he did mention Bo as a core, (either way i think it tells of his subconscious thinking)  . I think BB will be dealt before Bo ever is (Maybe when he has a good season this year, which I think he will be given every opportunity to increase his value and he will deliver)

Bo is signed for this year, We may have some cheaper elc wingers  if they perform may help fill that spot as well as bringing in players to shore up weaker positions by trading BB

You can still like to keep a player, but realize with a cap you can  strengthen some weaknesses from trading that player may be the best option (I doubt Tampa wanted to get rid of JTM because they didn't want him), Building and constructing a team takes guts and luck (Chicago and others had tough decisions too with players they would have wanted to keep as well)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

It’s a valid argument which you haven’t answered. As a coach do you not want your best defensive forwards late in the game defending a one goal game? We’ve seen Pettersson being benched late, when BB took over, on many occasions in the season.  Why is that? Why is he never defending the lead when the goalie is pulled? We always see guys like Horvat, Miller, Pearson, Lammikko, and Boeser out there as a staple in those situations. Hell, even Dickinson is out there occasionally. We rarely see Pettersson out there.

I never got the sense that Boeser is terrible in his own end. He’s was 15th in the league in puck battles won last year. If you’re going to praise Pettersson for being in the right position half the time. Then you can’t disregard Boeser’s ability to win puck battles, when talking about their defense. This is probably why BB, puts him out there late in the game. 

So eer what 1 goal game are you referring to? We won 3 or 4 1 goal game in regulation under boudreau since he took over. Let’s add a couple of games in there we scored an empty net goal to bump the difference to 2. How often do you see nhl coaches break up their lines and start double shifting players when they are winning? Rare? You are clueless if you think who’s better defensively is based on who’s out there and ep is almost the worse defensive forward out of the top 9 based on that rather than actually watch the game. You are welcome to your opinion since you don’t need to watch the game and just read stat sheets to determine who’s better. Boeser is such a great defender out there last min on the game all the time can put pucks in the net. Wonder why there was no interest in a great 2 way forward based on stats sheet. Anyways don’t bother replying you are entitled to yours I’m entitled to my opinion 

On 9/6/2022 at 4:32 AM, IBatch said:

If he does that we definitely got buy-in... Feel he's going to sign 6.75 x 8 or something best case.   Anything less then 7 actually isn't bad ... Kevin Hayes kind of set the high bar market for second line centres, and Horvat is better.   On 7-8 teams he'd be their best C.    Pretty sure if he got the best wingers, he'd be consistently in the mid 60's point wise.   Sure nice to have that.   

As for Myers lol... we'd be screwed without him ... we need another top four RHD.    Until we get that don't see Myers going anywhere.   Plus our team is already awfully thin on truculence.  

the canucks always find a way , someone will emerge , like tanev, edler did for us. maybe rathbone will be the man

6 hours ago, teepain said:

the canucks always find a way , someone will emerge , like tanev, edler did for us. maybe rathbone will be the man

Well it's been an awfully long time.   Stecher and Hutton sure ain't the same as Edler (last 3rd round pick and beyond to have an impact), or Tanev last college signing.    If that's always ... well we have to go all the way back Nonis first draft ... was like 18 years ago now?   Yes there was a time, that we always found a way, but it's usually a trade or UFA ...Our drafted D probably are the worst all-time for 12 teams, maybe even 21. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well it's been an awfully long time.   Stecher and Hutton sure ain't the same as Edler (last 3rd round pick and beyond to have an impact), or Tanev last college signing.    If that's always ... well we have to go all the way back Nonis first draft ... was like 18 years ago now?   Yes there was a time, that we always found a way, but it's usually a trade or UFA ...Our drafted D probably are the worst all-time for 12 teams, maybe even 21. 

** shivers**

You just gave me a flashback of Nonis racing up to the podium to draft Patrick White

• Haha 2