The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I don’t know where people get the sense that Horvat isn’t a great captain, just because he doesn’t show any emotion on the ice. 

Wasn’t he one of the few Canucks’ players (him, Tanev, and Markstrom) who reached out to Reeves personally, in the bubble and stood by him during the Black Lives Matter protest?

That is part of why he as long as he is playing here he will remain captain.We do not see or hear everything but Bo is and should be the team captain going forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I am pretty sure its been stated before that our "for sure" NO GO's are Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. Others are debatable but those three are ones that we could probably classify as "Untouchable".

I would throw Podkolzin in there as well.  He's our power forward for the future...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

All this Iggy talk why? He was decent but no Linden who put Morton threw the glass with a hit and with broken ribs scored twice in game 7. That is a leader.At the time there were at least 15 other guys who any team would have picked before Iggy to be captain and we had one.

Iggy's been mentioned because he's a legendary player and he was a fantastic captain. He fits the mold of what a lot of hockey fans would like in a player, and a captain. 

I loved Linden as a Canuck and have nothing but respect for what he accomplished here but let's be real, he's a Canuck icon only. Iginla was the superior player and it's not really close. 36th all-time for points at 1300, tied with Joe Sakic at 16-17 for goals all-time at 625. 11 straight 30+ goal seasons preceded by 28 and 29 goal seasons. 15 seasons with 25 goals ore more, 17 seasons with 20 goals or more. Iginla was front and center during his time in Calgary and regularly put that team on his back, I'd argue he's one of the better Canadian captains to have ever captained an NHL team. 

I started watching hockey in the early 2000's so I got to see a lotttt of Iginla during his prime. I've heard never heard anything bad about him and he's generally well regarded around the league. Iginla is the one Calgary player I reckon a good chunk of the Canuck fanbase respects, in my eyes he had the perfect blend of skill and intangibles. I always wanted to see him with the Sedin's.

And no, I've zero qualms about giving respect where it's due to players who played for other organizations. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Iggy's been mentioned because he's a legendary player and he was a fantastic captain. He fits the mold of what a lot of hockey fans would like in a player, and a captain. 

I loved Linden as a Canuck and have nothing but respect for what he accomplished here but let's be real, he's a Canuck icon only. Iginla was the superior player and it's not really close. 36th all-time for points at 1300, tied with Joe Sakic at 16-17 for goals all-time at 625. 11 straight 30+ goal seasons preceded by 28 and 29 goal seasons. 15 seasons with 25 goals ore more, 17 seasons with 20 goals or more. Iginla was front and center during his time in Calgary and regularly put that team on his back, I'd argue he's one of the better Canadian captains to have ever captained an NHL team. 

I started watching hockey in the early 2000's so I got to see a lotttt of Iginla during his prime. I've heard never heard anything bad about him and he's generally well regarded around the league. Iginla is the one Calgary player I reckon a good chunk of the Canuck fanbase respects, in my eyes he had the perfect blend of skill and intangibles. 

And no, I've zero qualms about giving respect where it's due to players who played for other organizations. 

I never stated otherwise but to say every team wanted him as captain never would have happened.He was good but was a flame.Far as Linden he is an icon for on and office work plus with the nhlpa which every team respected him so yes icon for that fact.

11 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I never stated otherwise but to say every team wanted him as captain never would have happened.He was good but was a flame.Far as Linden he is an icon for on and office work plus with the nhlpa which every team respected him so yes icon for that fact.

I didn't say every team wanted him as captain. I said he's a legendary player who embodies what a lot of fans want in captain, which is why he comes up in captain conversations. And no, Linden isn't an icon for leading the NHLPA but yes he's respected around the league too. 

But step outside the Canuck bubble and ask hockey fans who they thought the better captain was and you'll likely hear more Iginla than Linden. Linden is a Canuck icon only. You said, and I quote, "he's decent but no Linden" and that statement simply isn't based in reality. At the very least he was just as good for the Flames. 

But while we're having this conversation I may as well throw these out there too. Who could forget Iggy summoning the boys to give Linden props? Classy and humble too, Linden told him he was the best player in the game and Jarome wouldn't repeat it, right after scoring his 50th goal, he kept the conversation focused on Linden. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I didn't say every team wanted him as captain. I said he's a legendary player who embodies what a lot of fans want in captain, which is why he comes up in captain conversations. And no, Linden isn't an icon for leading the NHLPA but yes he's respected around the league too. 

But step outside the Canuck bubble and ask hockey fans who they thought the better captain was and you'll likely hear more Iginla than Linden. Linden is a Canuck icon only. You said, and I quote, "he's decent but no Linden" and that statement simply isn't based in reality. At the very least he was just as good for the Flames. 

But while we're having this conversation I may as well throw these out there too. Who could forget Iggy summoning the boys to give Linden props? Classy and humble too, Linden told him he was the best player in the game and Jarome wouldn't repeat it, right after scoring his 50th goal, he kept the conversation focused on Linden. 

They both had class and no someone else said today 32 team would take him as captain.Wish there were more players as both today and every year.The game has many but needs more.That is where the twins had class as well but tried to be silent.To me the best line I have seen on the Canucks was Adams Linden and Bure.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Not sure if this has been posted.

LeBrun: Well, the first thing I would say on the Bo Horvat front - he's UFA (unrestricted free agent) this year, as everyone knows - is that it's been quiet of late but those discussions date back three, four months, it's not like they're just getting going right now. Both sides have really laid out their positions, and my understanding is that there's a pretty sizable gap between those positions at the moment, which again: there's lots of time for the Canucks and Horvat's representatives to find a way over the next few months and it is the Canucks' absolute priority to get their captain signed to a long-term deal, but it's also true, I think, that the Canucks' front office feels a bit less pressure in the wake of J.T. Miller signing to get it done at all costs. In other words, they have a delicate salary cap position, and a Horvat extension has to fit within that long term. We'll see where this goes, but certainly my sense is that if Horvat is not signed by the March 3 trade deadline, there is a possibility the Canucks would trade him instead of losing him for nothing come July 1.  

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-bo-horvat-barry-trotz-nhlpa-1.1852517

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Not sure if this has been posted.

LeBrun: Well, the first thing I would say on the Bo Horvat front - he's UFA (unrestricted free agent) this year, as everyone knows - is that it's been quiet of late but those discussions date back three, four months, it's not like they're just getting going right now. Both sides have really laid out their positions, and my understanding is that there's a pretty sizable gap between those positions at the moment, which again: there's lots of time for the Canucks and Horvat's representatives to find a way over the next few months and it is the Canucks' absolute priority to get their captain signed to a long-term deal, but it's also true, I think, that the Canucks' front office feels a bit less pressure in the wake of J.T. Miller signing to get it done at all costs. In other words, they have a delicate salary cap position, and a Horvat extension has to fit within that long term. We'll see where this goes, but certainly my sense is that if Horvat is not signed by the March 3 trade deadline, there is a possibility the Canucks would trade him instead of losing him for nothing come July 1.  

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-bo-horvat-barry-trotz-nhlpa-1.1852517

There’s zero (Alf means ZERO) chance we don’t extend our captain - Bo.  So there’s less than zero chance we trade Bo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  6.7-7 seems like the correct range. Let's hope he takes a discount to stay and further help the team. 

I can't believe he'd want Miller money. He hasn't scored more than 61 points in his career. Last season, in 70 games, even though he scored 31 goals, he only produced 52 points. Is that worth 8M per season? Not in my books. If that's what he wants, then all the more power to him, I'm not sure anyone else is willing to give it to him. If this off-season has taught us anything as fans, it's that GM's haven't been as stupid as previous off-seasons where they just gave silly money to anyone asking. It took Kadri forever to sign, I honestly thought he would've been one of the first to have gone off the UFA shelves. But there he was still in August and hadn't signed. 

With that being said, I think Bo signs. The media in this market is insane, and they're not going to stop asking about this, and talk about this until a deal is reached. It's going to get fever pitched if the TDL approaches, and Bo's still not signed

How does his contract being unresolved help the team in its pursuit of a playoff spot? 

If anything, this could be a distraction for the club....

14 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

This contract negotiation is an opportunity, not a problem to fret over.

Because of the flat cap and league-wide shortage, we will be able to lock Bo up for years at what will very soon become a great value deal.

Team spirit is getting very high now that Miller has signed a team-friendly deal and Bo will see this as an opportunity to continue to build team spirit and team quality, and to secure his long-term future.

Both sides know they are going to do a deal; and it is going to be great for the team and for us fans.

Neither is going to risk what we have here piddling over a few hundred grand.

I like aGent's 53m by 8yrs for Bo Horvat #53 (AAV $6.62) because it is in range and sounds good: 53 for 53.

I'm glad that you're optimstic, and opportunistic, I'm not so certain that a deal is made. If Bo and management were in agreement about getting a deal done, how come a deal wasn't done over the summer? That would've been the best time to have gotten it done. And now we're entering into the season with our captain not having a long term deal secured. 

32 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm glad that you're optimstic, and opportunistic, I'm not so certain that a deal is made. If Bo and management were in agreement about getting a deal done, how come a deal wasn't done over the summer? That would've been the best time to have gotten it done. And now we're entering into the season with our captain not having a long term deal secured. 

There are a few things to take into consideration as to why a deal wasn’t done over the summer and is still not finished.

JT Miller was without a doubt the bigger priority. Had Allvin and JR prioritized Bo first, without finding neutral ground with Miller, they would have risked pricing themselves out of Miller’s negotiations. Forcing themselves to trade Miller. So they put Bo’s negotiations to the sidelines (which is probably why Lebrun mentions it was quiet for awhile) because Bo is likely to command a lower cap hit and would be easier to work out the details and fit into the cap moving forward, than if they paid Bo a hefty sum and then left themselves scrambling to somehow make room for JT or take a step back, collect picks and prospects and burn another year off everyones already very friendly deals (Demko, Petey, Hughes etc)

Now that they have locked up JT long term and he has left money on the table to make sure a deal can get done with Bo, I have no doubt Bo will be extended 6+ years and will also leave money on the table for Petey’s next deal.

Miller leaving money on the table along with all the other young guys who didnt sign big deals right away, shows the mentality this group has, that its not about money, its about wanting to win a cup.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

There are a few things to take into consideration as to why a deal wasn’t done over the summer and is still not finished.

JT Miller was without a doubt the bigger priority. Had Allvin and JR prioritized Bo first, without finding neutral ground with Miller, they would have risked pricing themselves out of Miller’s negotiations. Forcing themselves to trade Miller. So they put Bo’s negotiations to the sidelines (which is probably why Lebrun mentions it was quiet for awhile) because Bo is likely to command a lower cap hit and would be easier to work out the details and fit into the cap moving forward, than if they paid Bo a hefty sum and then left themselves scrambling to somehow make room for JT or take a step back, collect picks and prospects and burn another year off everyones already very friendly deals (Demko, Petey, Hughes etc)

Now that they have locked up JT long term and he has left money on the table to make sure a deal can get done with Bo, I have no doubt Bo will be extended 6+ years and will also leave money on the table for Petey’s next deal.

Miller leaving money on the table along with all the other young guys who didnt sign big deals right away, shows the mentality this group has, that its not about money, its about wanting to win a cup.

I hope you're right. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope you're right. 

Does Bo strike you as a money kinda guy? A lot of posters here crap on him for having no personality. With personality comes ego and ego’s get in the way and that usually involves money. Personally I dont see Bo as the money grubbing type. 

These are the questions Bo will be asking himself.

Do you want to win? Do you want to risk being moved to meet your demands and possibly never come close to achieving the ultimate goal? You’ve been to the playoffs twice in your career and its been a few years since the last time you made the post season, you know it isnt easy to get there. You see all these guys here leaving money on the table? JT, Demko, Hughes, Petey, Boeser etc…. They want to win, do you? Leave money on the table and go for a cup. Or enjoy a nice big contract, a new home and a team either over the hump or starting over.

(this is how I’m lookin at it and pumpin myself up and pretending im JR and PA in negotiations and going to get a deal done)

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Does Bo strike you as a money kinda guy? A lot of posters here crap on him for having no personality. With personality comes ego and ego’s get in the way and that usually involves money. Personally I dont see Bo as the money grubbing type. 

These are the questions Bo will be asking himself.

Do you want to win? Do you want to risk being moved to meet your demands and possibly never come close to achieving the ultimate goal? You’ve been to the playoffs twice in your career and its been a few years since the last time you made the post season, you know it isnt easy to get there. You see all these guys here leaving money on the table? JT, Demko, Hughes, Petey, Boeser etc…. They want to win, do you? Leave money on the table and go for a cup. Or enjoy a nice big contract, a new home and a team either over the hump or starting over.

(this is how I’m lookin at it and pumpin myself up and pretending im JR and PA in negotiations and going to get a deal done)

Well that is the big question isn't it. The real Bo will show it self once we see what happens with him and his next contract. If he has the character and the want to stay here and win a Cup, like many on here believe, then he will find a way to come to terms with the Canucks and agree to a reasonable contract.

We all know he is going to make millions of dollars no matter what he decides, so we will see what his priorities are soon enough.

Leadership comes in all different forms and we have seen a few on this team already, as you mentioned, who "left money on the table".

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Well that is the big question isn't it. The real Bo will show it self once we see what happens with him and his next contract. If he has the character and the want to stay here and win a Cup, like many on here believe, then he will find a way to come to terms with the Canucks and agree to a reasonable contract.

We all know he is going to make millions of dollars no matter what he decides, so we will see what his priorities are soon enough.

Leadership comes in all different forms and we have seen a few on this team already, as you mentioned, who "left money on the table".

Bo took a pretty friendly deal the first time imho.

Seeing Mackinnon take a team friendly deal and then go on to win a cup, is probably some inspiration for Bo, as it probably was for JT in a way. Sure Mackinnon showed after winning a cup that it was now all about the money, but hey, at least he raised a cup beforehand.

There is enough influence on this roster to leave money on the table with all the other guys who took paycuts and mentorship from the twins and guys who were part of that 2010-11 team that all took pay cuts to build one of the best teams. He is the leader of this team and if everyone else is taking a paycut to stay and to try and win a cup, Bo would look pretty bad if he didnt take a discount. I feel like that is quite a bit of pressure to encourage him to sign for less, which is a very positive thing for this club moving forward, several guys willing to take paycuts in order to win a cup and cement themselves in history. Bo could go down in history for ages and ages as the first ever Vancouver Canuck captain to hoist the Stanley cup. This team can be and will be remembered for generations as the first to do it in Canuck colours

• Cheers 1

From a ppg point, Bo hasn’t really improved drastically from when he signed his current contract. I think at most he should be looking for a half million dollar raise, and nothing more than 6.25 million, but that’s just me. He’s in no way a 7 million dollar player.

The upcoming UFA class of C is very thin. Larkin isn’t going anywhere. 

Horvat knows he could get paid extremely well especially if he hits 30 plus goals and 65 plus points. 

I hope something can get done for cheap but I doubt it. 

Still need another top 4 RD but we have to see if Quinn will do just fine because if he does then OEL-Hughes could be a problem for a lot of teams 

34 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

From a ppg point, Bo hasn’t really improved drastically from when he signed his current contract. I think at most he should be looking for a half million dollar raise, and nothing more than 6.25 million, but that’s just me. He’s in no way a 7 million dollar player.

So Brock is at 6.65 per season. Bo is a way more valuable and diffcult to replace player. Bo is easily in the top three centers in the NHL in the faceoff dot. How is he not worth at least 7 per? He's easily worth 7. Probably more like 7.5. I guess his number will start at 7, and Bo's worth every penny. 

• Like 1