The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Travis Hamonic

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

As far as Tanev and Elder 

We had to move on from them eventually, we need to build around EP and Hughes for the future. 

Not changing the old guard we would have to pay them more, age issues injury issues. It was unpredictable of what to expect from Elder, esp him slowing down. Tanev is not as effective in the playoffs when the whistles are put away. Him and Stecher were a tire fire back there in the tough going. 

I'm happy both are getting paid. 

I think this year has turned into a development year. Rathbone has shown he isn't ready. Bur and Schenn have been nice surprises, esp Schenn and Hughes. OEL could use some weight room time. 

If we can get a tough skilled Dman from our prospects that would be found money. 

I still think we should have grabbed a bigger Dman from the ufa's from the off season. A 1 or 2M dollar guy. 

Someone 6'4" and capable. 

A player at 30 years of age isn't all of a sudden going to bulk up and play a different style. OEL's body frame isn't like other bigger Swedish defenceman like Hedman, Edler, Ekholm, etc. He is more of a cerebral type, which is still effective but we need both types.

But yes, we had to move on at some point. The problem is that we didn't replace them well at all. I guess you can argue that Hamonic + Poolman replaces Tanev. But Edler wasn't replaced.

I think getting a shutdown LD is paramount to this team turning it around. But with the reported price for someone like Ben Chiarot being a 1st rounder, I think we whiffed big time not matching LA's offer of 1 year 3.5 mil for Edler. He would have been serviceable for one more year and until we found a replacement, we should have kept him going on a 1-year deals in reduced minutes.

I think this year didn't have to be a development year but a step forward with the moves that JB made over the summer if he was smart enough to understand that you need a mix of different type of defencemen or smart enough to know that you need 3 capable LDs not 2, and one of them cannot do PK or shut down in the dying minutes.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

A player at 30 years of age isn't all of a sudden going to bulk up and play a different style. OEL's body frame isn't like other bigger Swedish defenceman like Hedman, Edler, Ekholm, etc. He is more of a cerebral type, which is still effective but we need both types.

But yes, we had to move on at some point. The problem is that we didn't replace them well at all. I guess you can argue that Hamonic + Poolman replaces Tanev. But Edler wasn't replaced.

I think getting a shutdown LD is paramount to this team turning it around. But with the reported price for someone like Ben Chiarot being a 1st rounder, I think we whiffed big time not matching LA's offer of 1 year 3.5 mil for Edler. He would have been serviceable for one more year and until we found a replacement, we should have kept him going on a 1-year deals in reduced minutes.

I think this year didn't have to be a development year but a step forward with the moves that JB made over the summer if he was smart enough to understand that you need a mix of different type of defencemen or smart enough to know that you need 3 capable LDs not 2, and one of them cannot do PK or shut down in the dying minutes.

If Elder was truly a team first player he would have taken a sweetheart deal of @1.5. But I think he showed he's like everyone else. Business first. 

JB probably offered him a home town type contract. 

Or he was sick of Green. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

I have never been asked once at a hospital if I have had the flu shot. Definitely never needed to prove it in order to drink a beer or watch a game. If you haven’t figured out the limits of the protection I’m curious what rock you are under. Why do you need a booster shot if it “offers great protection”. It wanes after taking it. You will never be “fully vaccinated” as it doesn’t stop you from getting it, transmitting it or dying from it. Keep watching the news and getting jabbed I’ll continue living my life thanks. 

The majority of hospital staff want mandatory vaccinations. The link for this is over in the covid thread. So yeah, people directly involved in saving peoples lives want to see mandatory vaccinations at work for the flu. But you're smarter I guess.

What rock I'm under? cool argument. You're tougher than a virus eh buddy? :lol:

15 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah not sure why they let Edler go only to sign a worst dman in poolman. I thought they would have signed an upgrade. 

Eddie would have wanted term and at his age and injury history that's a pretty big risk... Poolman is a stand in, he won't be here for long. We need Rathbone with some more experience, there were game where he was one of our better Dman out there but when he made mistakes they were the glaring kind but any new Dmen do on any team but in our position it stands out like a sore thumb.. 

I have no doubt with more experience he'll be night and day better but experienced takes time obviously..

2 hours ago, khay said:

While I'm happy we got OEL, he doesn't replace Edler. I think that should be obvious for any knowledgeable hockey fan that have watched both of them play.

Edler's changed his playing style significantly over the years from an offensive defeceman, maybe not unlike OEL, to become a defenceman that can eat up pucks and shut things down in the dying minutes. 

Edler-Tanev.

That was the pairing that we would see at the end of the games that we were winning.

Why let them walk? Was Green OK with that? I just don't understand.

news flash... Eddie was/is injury prone and wanted term so that was a good call, a younger Edler/Tanev  would still be here. 

58 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If Elder was truly a team first player he would have taken a sweetheart deal of @1.5. But I think he showed he's like everyone else. Business first. 

JB probably offered him a home town type contract. 

Or he was sick of Green. 

Didn't his agent say on 650 that the offer was $975k for 1 year?

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

news flash... Eddie was/is injury prone and wanted term so that was a good call, a younger Edler/Tanev  would still be here. 

news flash... Eddie signed for 1 year term in LA... shocking, I know.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

As far as Tanev and Elder 

We had to move on from them eventually, we need to build around EP and Hughes for the future. 

Not changing the old guard we would have to pay them more, age issues injury issues. It was unpredictable of what to expect from Elder, esp him slowing down. Tanev is not as effective in the playoffs when the whistles are put away. Him and Stecher were a tire fire back there in the tough going. 

I'm happy both are getting paid. 

I think this year has turned into a development year. Rathbone has shown he isn't ready. Bur and Schenn have been nice surprises, esp Schenn and Hughes. OEL could use some weight room time. 

If we can get a tough skilled Dman from our prospects that would be found money. 

I still think we should have grabbed a bigger Dman from the ufa's from the off season. A 1 or 2M dollar guy. 

Someone 6'4" and capable. 

The big mistake was moving away from Tanev then signing someone that was a complete downgrade in Hamonic. Moving away from leadership and character guys to sign unknowns. Look at Tanev, zero injuries since he was traded two years ago. People keep whining about his past injuries yet we replaced him with one guy that didnt want to vaccinate and another who is a #6D man trying to play top 4. Making changes just for tge sake of making changes at that point was asinine. This is why Benning is not a good GM. He got rid of all the characters and leaders in this team and replaced them with lesser parts. He takes one step forward, two steps back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

The big mistake was moving away from Tanev then signing someone that was a complete downgrade in Hamonic. Moving away from leadership and character guys to sign unknowns. Look at Tanev, zero injuries since he was traded two years ago. People keep whining about his past injuries yet we replaced him with one guy that didnt want to vaccinate and another who is a #6D man trying to play top 4. Making changes just for tge sake of making changes at that point was asinine. This is why Benning is not a good GM. He got rid of all the characters and leaders in this team and replaced them with lesser parts. He takes one step forward, two steps back.

JB's thinking process is so simple that you wouldn't think that he's the head of hockey department of an NHL franchise.

He was thinking Schmidt + Hamonic (signed a discounted contract last season) > Tanev + Stecher.

He clearly didn't realize the intangibles brought by Tanev and Stecher.

He could've re-signed Tanev and still have found a way to fit Hamonic last season. Then, our RD would have been upgraded.

Tanev + Hamonic > Tanev + Stecher.

Just plain dumb. Too many changes without considering the chemistry. It's gotta be a step-by-step upgrade.

The funny thing is that until 2020, he was doing fine. Sure he pissed away some assets but the overall upward progression was evident.

Not anymore. We are stagnated and I don't see a way up unless the coach and the GM are both replaced.

2 hours ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

The Hamonic situation is totally on management. It’s a dog’s breakfast. The vaccination issue is compounded by the fact he won’t front up for the farm team screams conditional player. It’s a dangerous precedent to set as a team and weak management has allowed it. 

well he didn't come out and say other things he had to deal with but strong hinting "personal reasons" and could have been something else involved besides the vax. It would make sense however if the game was to have some sort of involvement so the down time while the team went stateside didn't turn into rust but hard to tell but there may be more to it than either side is letting on which could be a personal family issue that's nobody's biz in detail wise. 

Hard to know 100%... 

7 hours ago, Drink Walrus Milk said:

Why do you think they are pushing boosters at 6 months so hard? For fun?

Trumpism 

I asked for your source as you stated mater of fact that after 2 months there's no antibodies and that is not true at all.

• Vintage 2

15 hours ago, khay said:

Well, I thought getting OEL would provide Green more option and hence automatic reduction of Edler's minutes. Green can't be that stupid to given OEL 15-17 minutes and Edler 23 minutes, can he?

Green overworked Edler since there was no one else. Last year, our defence was Edler-Hughes-Benn...

OEL-Hughes-Edler is miles better than OEL-Hughes-Burroughs that we will be seeing tonight against the Penguins.

Vancouver as a 2PP now. Didn't last year.