The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Pittsburgh Penguins @ Vancouver Canucks | Saturday, December 4th, 2021 @ 7:00pm PST | CBC, SN

Rate this topic

goalie13

14 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Me too. When they trade our first it is like they ripped my heart out. 

In 2016 I was hopping for Tkachuk or Surgachev.  OJ wasn't even on my list.     Petey wasn't on my list either. I thought he would too slight. Jim has done ok.

I know. I was like a tough scoring winger with bloodlines. Or a big Russian kid! OJ made absolutely no sense. Never went on his thread cause I was too bitter. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf was all over Sergachev in that draft.  I liked that he was already over here.  Plus, he was a heavier guy, with skill, who laced with some physicality.  I preferred him to Tkatchuk actually.  

Who in their right mind, of all things Alf, would turn down free goals!! 

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Leafs openly tanked, and almost bragged about it.  The Sabres tanked.  The Rags wrote a letter to their fans about tanking.  Betman said that teams are better off drafting high for a few years than being mediocre.  

I think US based teams can tank, because they don’t have so many rabid fans like the Canadian teams.  For us, our teams are our first love.  For the US teams the few fans they do have put hockey way down the list, after football, basketball, baseball, NASCAR, the shopping channel, etc.  The Leafs were lucky to have Lou Lam turn them around so fast, because it was getting really toxic there.  

we need a Lou here.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I know. I was like a tough scoring winger with bloodlines. Or a big Russian kid! OJ made absolutely no sense. Never went on his thread cause I was too bitter. 

In Bennings own words Juolevi reminded him of Lidstrom…:picard:

He made the age old blunder of picking by need rather than BPA. Oh and also buying into the hype of a player that was on stacked junior teams.

I remember watching the draft and hoping we would take Jost over Tkachuk. When they started saying from the London Knights I was like okay well Tkachuk is the best player available so that’s okay. And then he goes on to say Olli Juolevi and I remember just thinking WTF!!?!

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If I had to. I'd cheer for Colorado in the playoffs.

I hate Edmonton/Calgary/ and Toronto that much.

If Colorado doesn't make it, and Winnipeg does, I'll cheer for Winterpeg.

Me too!  I’d cheer for the Bruins over other 

Canadian teams (except the Pig and Ottawa) 

• Sad 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

He made the age old blunder of picking by need rather than BPA. Oh and also buying into the hype of a player that was on stacked junior teams.

I remember watching the draft and hoping we would take Jost over Tkachuk. When they starting saying from the London Knights I was like okay well Tkachuk is the best player available so that’s okay. And then he goes on to say Olli Juolevi and I remember just thinking WTF!!?!

One problem. You can still pick BPA and he might turn into a dud. You are projecting 18 year olds 6-8 years in the future.

That's hard enough as it is. The issue as well is trade value. Defencemen and Centres will usually but not always, net you more of a return than a Winger.

Unless we're talking about a superstar winger. If you drafted BPA and got 7 goalies. Your return from those 7 goalies might be pretty lousy.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

One problem. You can still pick BPA and he might turn into a dud. You are projecting 18 year olds 6-8 years in the future.

That's hard enough as it is. The issue as well is trade value. Defencemen and Centres will usually but not always, net you more of a return than a Winger.

Unless we're talking about a superstar winger. If you drafted BPA and got 7 goalies. Your return from those 7 goalies might be pretty lousy.

Tkachuk was rated number 2 for North American skaters. He was the best player available. As safe of a pick as you can make in a somewhat deep draft.

Benning let his ego get in the way thinking he knew better. One of the biggest misses in Canucks history.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I take Di Gusieppe over Chiasson everyday of the week, that guy can help the PK something we are dreadful at. Can put any plug in front of the net on the PP

They could spot Myers and /or Schenn on the PP right in front of the goalie and let the speed guys dangle. If the opposing team

puts a big D-man out there to try and clear that's all the more traffic. That would free up a spot for a pk guy on the fourth line.

19 minutes ago, Snake Doctor said:

So many teams passed on Hamonic. Why are we the idiots that re-signed him. Such a waste of cap space.

Wow....he's paid what $1 million more than Hunt.

Pretty sure if you stack him against Poolman he's a better defenceman, and Poolman makes almost twice as much.

He's made some poor decisions off the ice. How many right handed D-men were out there this summer that were cheap?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I remember watching the draft and hoping we would take Jost over Tkachuk. When they started saying from the London Knights I was like okay well Tkachuk is the best player available so that’s okay. And then he goes on to say Olli Juolevi and I remember just thinking WTF!!?!

Oh Jost wasn't on my radar. That would have been good pick. 

28 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Always felt like OJ was the guy all the gms would speak highly of, hoping someone else would take him.

• Haha 1