The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, mll said:

They apparently got clearance to talk to him a while back but Benning wasn't allowed to make a coaching change.  Dreger believes he would have if he had the authority.

Signing Claude Julien would have had the horrific smell of a “Mike Keenan” / “Mark Messier” type signing, here.

^What a complete disconnect & insult that those 2 previous signings were to this marketplace..those were the Dark Ages of this team’s beleaguered history. 

Were we going to stomach bringing in an aging Milan Lucic to Captain this team, too?

Gheeesh! Happy to see JB sent packing - especially if his inner-Bruin was about  to explode all over the place. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Yah, the only thing about Boudreau is his age.

How’s his mental sharpness & overall health been doing? The rigours of travelling with a team that logs the most air miles of practically any other in the NHL is no small thing. The Canadian markets also have non-stop media & fan requirements, a scrutiny which may not provide for many lazy or snoozy days off, I would presume. That’s more stress.

This specific gig may not be suitable for him at this particular stage of life, as we are all about to find out - together. 

if they can build torts a murphy bed and accommodate him commuting into work from a different country every day, I think they can make it work for gabby.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

I don't care if the dude is Santa Claus himself, if he can coach good hockey he's good enough for us.

I agree. But - me thinks he can’t possibly last very long. Thus,only 2 years is a very agreeable thing for both parties.

Team docs also just got themselves another patient. 

As a Canucks fan, I feel that Green has overstayed his welcome. The boys were already tuning him out last season and re-signing him in the offseason was a bit of surprise to me. He implemented a lot of good things for our young players, teaching them the power of hard work and determination. But while he did that, his systems on the ice were fragile and did not fit the players that we have on our team. While Boudreau will be able to better utilize our players based on what we've seen in the past, the rot starts with Aqua trying to put his tentacles in every part of management on the team. He needs to seperate himself from hockey ops and let hockey people do the hockey. It's as simple as that. Benning, for all the bad he's done, has built a pretty good young core of players who will hit their prime in a couple years. If a new president with a plan and a vision is put in as well with a GM who knows what to do, I'll be more optimistic than I am right now. The fact of the matter is that Aqua has to &^@# off essentially.

The moves made today are temporary, but a new voice in the locker room is a good first step. Benning and Green have done their job, and I wish them nothing but the best. I don't think Green will be out of a job for long, he's a good guy who will bounce back.

• Cheers 1

I was happy last night when the changes started trickling in. Now seeing BB on the ice in green and blue, I am beyond excited! While my expectations are going to stay realistic and all I really hope for is to start winning 2 out of 3 games, I can't help but feel a renewed sense of faith and optimism.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. Well something just changed.