The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Green was so bad that everyone on his roster sucked. That is on him and him only. People continuing to praise Green as a good coach (seriously? The record speaks for itself) is just ignoring reality.

Boudreau with the same roster in one game has impressed most of the fans, whereas Green failed to do so at this point. We won one game recently with Green and there was relief. But there was never the sense of optimism.

I also don't like how Benning/Green didn't talk about their own failings, especially Green. The smug look that Green has in-game or during press conferences really seem undeserving for a coach that has barely proven himself as legitimate. A 50/50 record isn't good.

This 1000%.

People who are confident that Green will get another head coaching gig, I ask you this: How well do you think  he'll fair when his goalie is not Jacob Markstrom or Demko or playing at sub 0.92 sv%? 

Monumental failure on Green's part that he didn't recognize having Tanev and Marky back there allowed him the luxury to play his system without adjustment. He should have made a bigger case to keeping Tan man. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

This 1000%.

People who are confident that Green will get another head coaching gig, I ask you this: How well do you think  he'll fair when his goalie is not Jacob Markstrom or Demko or playing at sub 0.92 sv%? 

Monumental failure on Green's part that he didn't recognize having Tanev and Marky back there allowed him the luxury to play his system without adjustment. He should have made a bigger case to keeping Tan man. 

Green was spoiled silly with goaltending, kinda like WD was with Markstrom who was emerging.

As soon as WD went to LA, his fate as a coach was kind of sealed. WD seems to be better at coaching the lower levels.

Don Hay is a coach that comes to mind. Well known coach at the lower levels, but not good enough to move up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Last night was truly the best case scenario for the team. 

Another loss in similar fashion would have resulted in question marks whether coaching was actually the issue. 

A statement game like yesterday where we score 4 goals, PP looked dangerous, PK looked solid and produced some shorthanded opps allows the team to trust BB and start buying in. 

I am hoping BB coaches to our team strengths which is speed and skill. 

It was awful watching a team of lamborghini playing like Ford Pickup trucks. 

No offence to Ford or trucks in general. They also have their place and role. 

It was just frustrating knowing that Green would have similar or better success with a team full of Mottes, Lammikko and Highmore when he had a team with Petey Boeser, Garland, Hoglander Miller, Horvat, Podz while also having those guys. 

He tried to play them all the same way. 

He didn't even play Motte/Lamikko all that well. These players are heart and soul, and there wasn't enough from Green's systems that amplified them as role players.

We saw a team with an identity last night. Green showed no such thing this season.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Ladies and gentlemen, and so it starts.

Due to the poisonous fan base and the poisonous media of this town, I give Boudreau two weeks before he starts feeling the wrath of ignorance.

The night of a convincing 4-0 win.

I wouldn’t go that far.   I am first to admit I was a toxic fan but that’s only because green was as useless as t!ts on a bull and for how many years did we have to endure his BS!   Can you really blame any fan for bashing the system.    You can only try to put a ball into a square peg so many times, eventually the coach/staff should realize maybe they should try something new!??   

In the first game, the boys were aggressive, pressuring the other players… regardless if they won or not, the effort was there and that’s all we want.   

im extremely excited at what happens next!! 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Ladies and gentlemen, and so it starts.

Due to the poisonous fan base and the poisonous media of this town, I give Boudreau two weeks before he starts feeling the wrath of ignorance.

The night of a convincing 4-0 win.

big mouth omg GIF by Space Chickens In Space

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Last night was truly the best case scenario for the team. 

Another loss in similar fashion would have resulted in question marks whether coaching was actually the issue. 

A statement game like yesterday where we score 4 goals, PP looked dangerous, PK looked solid and produced some shorthanded opps allows the team to trust BB and start buying in. 

I am hoping BB coaches to our team strengths which is speed and skill. 

It was awful watching a team of lamborghini playing like Ford Pickup trucks. 

No offence to Ford or trucks in general. They also have their place and role. 

It was just frustrating knowing that Green would have similar or better success with a team full of Mottes, Lammikko and Highmore when he had a team with Petey Boeser, Garland, Hoglander Miller, Horvat, Podz while also having those guys. 

He tried to play them all the same way. 

I feel they were playing more like:

image.jpeg.1b999c90342947c4437b40c9630b02fd.jpeg

12 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

New coaches almost always get a bounce but I’m not sure I have ever seen an in-season coaching change spark that big of a difference in the style and effectiveness of a team.

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

St. Louis?

Don't even need to look that far... Calgary this year shows what an experienced coach can do.  Hate the Flames, but they look like a completely different team under Sutter.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

All this stress for months and months. When all we had to do was change the coach. Go figure. 

Petey sucks. Boeser sucks. Poolman sucks. Myers sucks. Lammikko sucks. Pearson sucks. Horvat sucks. They all suck. Until they get a real coach. Then they don’t suck anymore. Heck even Chiasson looks better. Go figure. 

Green should be arrested for crimes against Canucks fans. What a disgrace he was. Benning must be heartbroken watching his team play the way he felt they could play. This team is an easy playoff team. We all said it before the season started. Now we know for a fact that it is true. We just needed a new coach. 

Let’s hope the new GM recognizes the talent we have and simply makes a few tweaks here and there. Who knows, maybe Smyl and the Sedins can pull off a trade or two. We will see. 

Maybe just maybe the season can be saved. Aquilini needed to act a couple of weeks ago. Should have trusted his own instincts. Even billionaires make mistakes. Let’s see what happens the rest of the year. 

At the very least it is nice to know that we do have a legit playoff team and that we most likely will not have to suffer through another rebuild. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

All this stress for months and months. When all we had to do was change the coach. Go figure. 

Petey sucks. Boeser sucks. Poolman sucks. Myers sucks. Lammikko sucks. Pearson sucks. Horvat sucks. They all suck. Until they get a real coach. Then they don’t suck anymore. Heck even Chiasson looks better. Go figure. 

Green should be arrested for crimes against Canucks fans. What a disgrace he was. Benning must be heartbroken watching his team play the way he felt they could play. This team is an easy playoff team. We all said it before the season started. Now we know for a fact that it is true. We just needed a new coach. 

Let’s hope the new GM recognizes the talent we have and simply makes a few tweaks here and there. Who knows, maybe Smyl and the Sedins can pull off a trade or two. We will see. 

Maybe just maybe the season can be saved. Aquilini needed to act a couple of weeks ago. Should have trusted his own instincts. Even billionaires make mistakes. Let’s see what happens the rest of the year. 

At the very least it is nice to know that we do have a legit playoff team and that we most likely will not have to suffer through another rebuild. 

Just needed some fresh eyes on the coaching. We got the forward talent, a no 1 D and a great starter.

Dickenson looked so much better out there and the entire D beside Hughes, played similar minutes. I think Bruce's style helps out with the Neutral zone which is our biggest weakness other than the D zone. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Green was spoiled silly with goaltending, kinda like WD was with Markstrom who was emerging.

As soon as WD went to LA, his fate as a coach was kind of sealed. WD seems to be better at coaching the lower levels.

Don Hay is a coach that comes to mind. Well known coach at the lower levels, but not good enough to move up.

Don Hay to be fair made the jump directly from coaching basically non-adults (major junior) to the NHL.  At least Green and Willie coached fully grown men mostly in the AHL before coaching in the NHL.

Just had a conversation with a friend about this. I think both Benning and Green peaked with the playoff run a couple years ago.

Then with the roster changes, the limited-restricted season, the entire team getting COVID, and the challenges of returning to play, I think the team with JB and Green was irreversibly broken.

It was just time (and overdue) to move on. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

11 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

I think Green did well developing some of the young players but from what I saw, I think his coaching style wears on the players and this season was the breaking point.  Nice to see the players out there having some fun.

Develop who other than Hughes?  Jared freaking McCann has scored more goals this season than EP & Boeser combined!  That I think will change under Bruce before the end of the season

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Develop who other than Hughes?  Jared freaking McCann has scored more goals this season than EP & Boeser combined!  That I think will change under Bruce before the end of the season

I guess Petey and Boeser don't count in your eyes.  In my eyes, they do.  They were emerging players under Green early on.