The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte, do we really need him??

Rate this topic

86Viking

53 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Top 6 needs scoring help from the bottom six and motte fits that role perfectly 

you keep that. 

You move other passengers like Dickinson, Pearson 

Agreed 100% Motte seems to fit exactly what Rutherford and Allvin have been preaching about speed and skill. Motte could be a 3rd liner I think but that 4th line is playing unreal together so hard to break them up, unless they become a 3rd line if maybe Highmore got replaced with say Kasperi Kapanen if we trade for some speed and a familiar face to the GM??

Absolutely keep Motte if he’s willing to do 2.0-2.5 over 3/4 years. He’s coming into his prime, and (imo) will be a Hansen like player with some versatility. 

Re-sign Lammer/Highmore 2-3 years and youve got an effective line you know is gonna bring it.  

Focus on moving contracts that dont push the needle forward. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna be sad if we trade Motte cause we can't afford him when we have guys that make what Motte might get on his next deal still going to be on the team because they hold negative value. Here is hoping the team can hammer out an extension with Motte before the TDL, he is a keeper and would be sorely missed!

• Cheers 1

On 12/6/2021 at 6:51 AM, Alflives said:

How’s our PK with Motte?  

Lockwood can replace Motte’s minutes.  If Motte returns a second and a third we should move him.  

I agree we need cap space and don't you think Motte will want same contract as Dickinson?? 

Motte 3 X 2.5 million ---- Have to start getting returns of UFA and not letting them walk example recent Markstrom and Tanev...

Lockwood next season $842,000 will b fine on the 4th line..Lots off speed and gritty...

Remember we need cap space..

• Vintage 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed 100% Motte seems to fit exactly what Rutherford and Allvin have been preaching about speed and skill. Motte could be a 3rd liner I think but that 4th line is playing unreal together so hard to break them up, unless they become a 3rd line if maybe Highmore got replaced with say Kasperi Kapanen if we trade for some speed and a familiar face to the GM??

I agree would love to keep Motte 26, speed, gritty can play up lineup if injuries..

But Motte will demand contract of 3 yrs X 2.2 to 2.6 million..

We need to make cape space.. We have Dickinson 2.6 million, Pearson 3.2 million? If we could unload one of those contract it would make Motte signing okay..

Will not be easy to trade Dickinson and his 2.6 million X 2 more years..

Pearson is having a bounce back season GP 53--G 12 --PTS 27 ---Pace for GP 78 - G 18 --PTS 36,  Skating is slow and we want more speed in top 6..

I like Tippett 23, 6'1 with Florida -- I would like to find a young forward like this..

Florida will trade Tippett to get extra depth for long playoff run...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, XxNaslundxX said:

The motte lam Highmore line is basically the best 4th line we have had in 10 years. I'd rather have motte than a 2nd and I don't see a team offering a late first. Lam is in the same boat I wouldn't trade him for a second either

We have to remember Lammikko 26, 6'2, 200lbs with speed is so important for Canucks cap next season? He is currently under contract at 750,000 RFA this summer..I could see Canucks signing him for like 2 yrs X 1.1 million.. These are the type off deals we must sigh for cap space along with Highmore..

Also sign Highmore this summer.. Highmore 26, 5'11 speed  2 yrs X 1.1 million... Both Lammikko 26 and Highmore can play up in the line up if needed..

Very valuable players in cap world...Need valuable players making less then 1.5 million...Alos level entry contracts are valuable...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

We have to remember Lammikko 26, 6'2, 200lbs with speed is so important for Canucks cap next season? He is currently under contract at 750,000 RFA this summer..I could see Canucks signing him for like 2 yrs X 1.1 million.. These are the type off deals we must sigh for cap space along with Highmore..

Also sign Highmore this summer.. Highmore 26, 5'11 speed  2 yrs X 1.1 million... Both Lammikko 26 and Highmore can play up in the line up if needed..

Very valuable players in cap world...Need valuable players making less then 1.5 million...Alos level entry contracts are valuable...

No doubt.   After years of paying 10-12 million for a fourth ish line we have an arguably better one for peanuts and folks want "a second rounder" to trade them?    No thanks.   Just because these guys work - doesn't mean the next crop of AHLers is going too - just like they aren't going to sort out our D.   Our forward group is a good mix right now and tough to defend against. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree would love to keep Motte 26, speed, gritty can play up lineup if injuries..

But Motte will demand contract of 3 yrs X 2.2 to 2.6 million..

We need to make cape space.. We have Dickinson 2.6 million, Pearson 3.2 million? If we could unload one of those contract it would make Motte signing okay..

Will not be easy to trade Dickinson and his 2.6 million X 2 more years..

Pearson is having a bounce back season GP 53--G 12 --PTS 27 ---Pace for GP 78 - G 18 --PTS 36,  Skating is slow and we want more speed in top 6..

I like Tippett 23, 6'1 with Florida -- I would like to find a young forward like this..

Florida will trade Tippett to get extra depth for long playoff run...

Dont think we have what it takes for Tippett.   He looks like he will be a stud winger.  And apparently flyers want him for giroux. 

Dont know why youd unload pearson. He plays in every situation.  No one on our club currently can replace him.  Hes a low maintenence player.  In a league of primadonas its refreshing. 

I liked how dickinson looked in the playoffs a few seasons back.  Its obvious hes fighting through something.  Im fine keeping him as hes better than what hes shown.  

• Vintage 1

On 3/6/2022 at 3:48 PM, EddieVedder said:

Dont think we have what it takes for Tippett.   He looks like he will be a stud winger.  And apparently flyers want him for giroux. 

Dont know why youd unload pearson. He plays in every situation.  No one on our club currently can replace him.  Hes a low maintenence player.  In a league of primadonas its refreshing. 

I liked how dickinson looked in the playoffs a few seasons back.  Its obvious hes fighting through something.  Im fine keeping him as hes better than what hes shown.  

I wanted to trade Pearson last season - because the cap was so bunged up...made a ton of sense...then JB re-signed him for what absolutely was a fair deal both ways, less then he'd probably get on the open market for sure.   A lot of folks complained because like everyone else almost (except your favourite punching bag Brock), wasn't having a good season.    But never once complained about his deal - it's a very easy one to move next season, starting at the draft if we need too.    Trading Brock is a lot easier with both Pearson and Garland on the team.    Not sure what they will do but suspect if Brock won't sign a reasonable deal he's toast.   

On 3/11/2022 at 11:01 AM, Canuckster86 said:

4yr 1.8m aav as an extension for Motte? Juho 3yr 1.3m aav, Highmore gets dealt at TDL and Lockwood called up to hopefully be ready to take on a 4th line role at a low aav

Why would you trade highmore?  Hes been awesome.  And Bruce obvs loves him.   Youre not going to see lockwood come up and play with thr same intensity as highmore.  

10 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Why would you trade highmore?  Hes been awesome.  And Bruce obvs loves him.   Youre not going to see lockwood come up and play with thr same intensity as highmore.  

He is my least favourite of the 3 on the 4th line, so with Lockwood touted as an energy guy suited to fill Highmore's role, give the kid the rest of this season to see if he can make the leap to the NHL. While also getting the team a draft pick or prospect in return and promoting from within with Lockwood. Use the new draft pick to draft another energy bottom 6 F prospect

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

He is my least favourite of the 3 on the 4th line, so with Lockwood touted as an energy guy suited to fill Highmore's role, give the kid the rest of this season to see if he can make the leap to the NHL. While also getting the team a draft pick or prospect in return and promoting from within with Lockwood. Use the new draft pick to draft another energy bottom 6 F prospect

Not a chance lockwood can replace highmore.  Itll take several years before lockwood makes an impact here, if at all.  Highmore is proving to me at least that hes the most valuable part of that line.  He hits, he goes to the dirty areas, he skates hard, and he can skate with the puck.  

• Vintage 1

On 2/22/2022 at 9:35 AM, AlphaNuck said:

Top 6 needs scoring help from the bottom six and motte fits that role perfectly 

you keep that. 

You move other passengers like Dickinson, Pearson 

Is Pearson a passenger? Forwards 5 on 5 points per 60 minutes played since Boudreau took over:

P60.thumb.png.eecc9bf45e15a93b19fd5b45e9a7f8e7.png

Forwards 5 on 5 goals per 60 minutes played:

G60.png.54fb6d6e6dd7e7ec57c7de974ed3d7e8.png